Upgrading camera and lens for trip to Amazon Rainforest in Brazil

<p>Hello - I am looking for some opinions on how I should go about upgrading my current setup for an upcoming trip to the Amazon in Brazil. My current camera and lenses are: Cannon EOS Rebel XTi (body is about 10 years old), cannon 18-55mm lens that it came with, cannon 50mm lens, and a cannon ultrasonic 70-200mm zoom lens. I was considering upgrading to the T5 or T5i. The T5 has a bundle deal that comes with a 75-300mm lens in addition to the 18-55mm. I was wondering if it would be more worthwhile to get the T5i and a better zoom lens. I was also researching getting an all in one lens from Tamron16-300mm or 18-270mm so that I do not have to switch lenses on the go, but again am not sure if this will fit my needs or not. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks so much.<br>

Cindy G.</p>

<p>You should not buy a kit with the 75-300mm lens, especially if you have the 70-200L already. The T5 bundle is sold with Canon's cheapest telephoto zoom available and the quality is well below that of any 70-200.</p>

<p>Other than that, your upgrade path should be a combination of "fits my budget" and "meets my output needs." Are you looking to make huge prints with the results? What subjects are you looking to capture? What, if any, restrictions do you have on equipment you can carry on your trip? </p>

<p>Assuming wildlife is an important part of the trip, I'd go looking for a Canon 100-400mm either used to buy or to rent (depending on the length of your trip).</p>

<p>Thank you for your response! That is what I was thinking with the bundle... Would you suggest the Canon T5i over the T5 then? Budget wise I would like to spend around $1000 or so for the body and possible new lens. I am not planning to make huge prints (but I guess that may change if I get the right shot). I will be shooting wildlife/birds. We will be on a riverboat on the river Negro for the 10 day duration of the trip with some excursions by canoe along the river and a few treks into the forest as well. I do shoot a fair amount of birds outside of this trip as well. No restrictions, but will be in small canoe for excursion so that is why I was wondering if the all in one lens may be helpful so that I am not switching lenses on the canoe trips. I am assuming just upgrading the body will make a big difference in the quality from what I am getting now. Again I really appreciate the advice!</p>

The difference between the T5i and T5 is summarized here (assuming the link holds up)

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras?pageKeyCode=65&category=0901e0248006113c&compare=0901e0248082124c&compare=0901e02480b0661d

Main difference seems to be a more advanced AF system in the T5i and higher ISO capabilities, though it is likely that both cameras have substantially the same sensor so image quality should be the same. For the AF system alone I would go for the T5i.

I would recommend upgrading your standard zoom to either the 18-55 IS or 18-55 IS STM, since Canon kit zooms have significantly improved since you bought the XTi. I absolutely agree with Rob on not getting any 75-300 bundled lens. The Canon EF70-300 IS or Tamron 70-300 VR lenses are significantly better, but that would depend on specifically which 70-200 USM lens you own. If its an "L" lens (white colored barrel) it doesn't make to replace it with any of the above options.

Shooting birds requires all the optical reach you can afford or be willing to carry, so renting a 100-400 is a good idea, though it's a large/heavy lens, and a 2 week rental (fully insured) will be about $160.

Never used a Superzoom like an 18-270. They are convenient but optically compromised when compared with using 2 lenses covering the same range. A better standard zoom like the Canon 15-85 is a good option, but not inexpensive. Best of luck.

<p>The T5i would be the better choice over the T5 for a trip, as Kenneth points out. The AF is better and the frame rate is better, especially if you're shooting RAW.</p>

<p>If you are shooting wildlife from a boat, I would say that a lens that reaches 300mm with Image Stabilization is the minimum you would want to have with you. </p>

<p>Whatever you buy (or rent) I would highly, highly, recommend you use the heck out of any new-to-you equipment before going on this trip. You should be very familiar with the controls and with the type of output you'll be getting from any new camera or lens before going. </p>

<p>I recently came back from a trip to the rainforest in Costa Rica, and the one thing I found most challenging was the low light. One gets used to it, and may not realize just how dark it is. It may be better on the river too, but the forest was a challenge. I got along all right with slow lenses and a Nikon D3200, but had to crank up the ISO rather higher than usual, and if I were looking to replace equipment for such a trip, better low light performance would be near the top of the list. </p>

<p>My 70-200 is an L series lens no IS. Some things I have read say that the crop factor will extend this lens reach out to 324mm? Is that the case when using the T5i? I will look into either renting the 100-400mm or purchasing a lens that reaches to 300mm. I just want to be sure I get the most useful equipment, thanks again for all your input!</p>

<p>OK - so in looking at the current packages that are available these are some of my choices in my price range:<br /><br />1. T5i with EF-S 18-55mm IS STM and EF-S-55-250 IS II <br />2. T5i with EF-S 18-135mm IS STM<br />3. T5i with EF-S 18-55mm IS STM and EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 III<br />4. T5i with EF-S 18-55mm IS STM<br />Any thoughts?</p>

<p>Cynthia asked:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My 70-200 is an L series lens no IS. Some things I have read say that the crop factor will extend this lens reach out to 324mm? Is that the case when using the T5i? I will look into either renting the 100-400mm or purchasing a lens that reaches to 300mm. I just want to be sure I get the most useful equipment, thanks again for all your input!</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

The crop factor of 1.6x will give you the same angle of view as 320mm lens on a film or full-frame DSLR body. The resolution really depends on the pixel-density of the sensor, not it's size in square mm. The T5i has a high pixel-density. You've already been shooting with a crop sensor, so a new crop sensor body is not going to be any different from what you've experienced. You might consider a 1.4x Teleconverter for your 70-200mm, which will give it 1.4-times the telephoto "reach."</p>

I'd say get a well weather sealed

body. The rain forest is going to

be very very humid. Lots and lots

of moisture. Look for one of the

advanced bodies to go with the L

lens like a 7D, 5D Mkii, 6D. is a

70D well sealed? I'm not sure but

I reckon that might be important.