Canon 1DS Mark II software

hjoseph7

<p>I don't see why not, DPP runs just fine in Win7, and that and the rest of the Canon software are what run features like tethered shooting. As long as they will run (and they will in Win7), there's no reason to think it shouldn't. Without the software, it shouldn't need any drivers (as it's recognized as a USB mass storage peripheral), so you can download images (slowly) directly.</p>

<p>The question of viability is a broader one, and largely subjective, but, in general, it should function as it did when it was new, and was a professional workhorse. Now whether it's a cost effective option? I'd say yes if you love 1 handling (which is important), no if you are solely interested in IQ, and sensor capability - as a 5D2 can be had for only marginally more, and has better sensor/IQ/ISO performance (though not as good AF). I guess it really depends on what you value in your work.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yes; I used to run the free image processing program Raw Therapee. It is slow but capable. To transfer the images it is easiest to remove the memory card from the camera and put it in a card reader attached to the PC. You can also install Canon's DPP if you prefer that.<br>

For still images the quality of the 1Ds II is more than adequate - even for pixel peeping on the big 5k monitors now available. It doesn't have Live View or video recording, or the smooth high-ISO performance of newer bodies.</p>

<p>If you haven't bought the camera yet then I must warn you about the menu system. It operates differently to all the more modern EOS DSLRs. It must have been designed by a deranged monkey because it is as annoying as hell to use. Playing back and reviewing images takes some getting used to and the rear LCD is very poor compared to the latest 3" screens. </p>