Missing your DSLR yet?

Sanford

<p>I still have my DSLR, and its hours of glory will come once hockey season starts at my college. For everything else I love my E-M1, its smaller weight, but especially all the extra information that is immediately available to me in the EVF. My Nikon provides many of these (histograms, image development during long exposures etc.) either after the fact, only on the rear display, or not at all.</p>
Christoph Geiss

<p>I use both D800-based and OMD EM5-based systems. I've just been away for 4 days, taking the kit in a backpack over mountains and rough terrain. And I'm old! I took the D800, and three very light (relatively!) primes. Why? For the landscapes I was doing, a tripod would not be needed, and I wanted the quality of the D800 files with that amazing DR and ability to pull up shadow detail. On other trips, where I've known I needed a tripod somewhere remote, I've taken the OMD and 4 primes, just because of the weight. The Olympus files are good - but those from the D800 are better. (And if I was starting again yes, I'd look very seriously at Fuji!).</p>

<blockquote>

<p>. . . our perceptions of adequate sharpness.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>At the end of the day isn't that what's important? And even the physics of "sharpness", i.e. circles of confusion, etc. ultimately only provide a perception of adequate sharpness. As George Harrison said "its all in the mind" :)</p>

<p>Sold off the last of my Nikon kit (including a D300) two days ago and don't plan on looking back.<br>

I really haven't had any major focusing issues with my Fuji X-E1 (or X-30 for that matter). I generally shoot using the smallest setting possible on the AF grid.</p>

I still have my D3, which excels at autofocus, long battery life and instant on or wake up. But for total usability, I prefer my

Sony A7ii and now A7Rii. So far I'm mostly manual focus, at which the A7 excels. With in-body image stabilization (IBIS)

and ISO usable to 25,600, I can get consistently sharp results without a tripod. Carrying a Sony kit which weighs half that

of a comparable Nikon kit is a cherished benefit. The Nikon is there should I need it, but I haven't needed it since my A7ii

arrived early in December 2014.

<p>The XE1 can be a little slower to focus than the XT1 for example. I've found the latter to be plenty fast enough for what i do. And when the Mirrorless focus locks on it stays locked on. I have had less misfocusing issues with my Fujis than my Nikons. And the lowlight af? Did a shoot last year in poor light and my XT1 locked on first time 90+%. My friend's 6D struggled...we were both surprised. Still keep A Nikon though because of my lenses for it. But 9 times out of 10 I take a Fuji with me.</p>

<p>I never has a DSLR to miss, but still have 4 SLR film cameras which I use.<br>

I really liked the look of the Nex 6 and have had one about 2 and a half years; a year ago I got a used Nex 7 as well. Both wonderful cameras which will always leave me trailing in the wake of their abilities. So, what with them and my old Nikkor lenses and adapter for the Sony cameras I figure I'm about set fair to try to take some reasonable photos. I'm hoping Sony will offer an app for Auto ISO when in Manual for these two which I think could be useful, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The A series have taken over and these Nex beauties will soon be forgotten.</p>

<p>I don't post much here so at the risk of getting flamed I feel compelled to add something. I am a Nikon shooter and have been since F3 days. I have lots of lenses which keep me loyal even though I often chafe at many of Nikon's idiotic policies. I had a D800 and I really liked that camera but it killed my neck and back after a couple of hours. I also have had Nikon DX cameras for the reach aspect. Really like the D7200. Along the way I have bought Panasonic 4/3s stuff some of which is pretty good and tried a Sony Nex 6. The menus, which you were dipping into constantly drove me nuts. I sold it. Then came the a6000, finally a capable easy to use very good camera with the right lenses. I still have that camera and it is my walk around camera down in southern Utah.<br>

Now to the dumb stuff. I felt an overwhelming curiosity about the Sony full frame stuff. I picked up a used <br />A7R, thinking a return to 36mp might be good. I was wrong. In my estimation this is a camera which should never have been released. Shutter shock is a real issue. The Sony menu choices do not really deal with the capabilities of the camera in enough detail but who likes menus? Focusing with non Sony lenses is a chore but can be accurate although you better be using a tripod.<br>

After two weeks of frustration I sold that camera at a loss and felt good to be rid of it. I'll stick with the D750 and the D7200 for any kind of serious photos.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>As with a number of others I don't miss my SLR because I still use both.<br>

I do find it very annoying when Mirrorless evangelists try and say that the SLR is dead and that mirrorless cameras will take over the world. The same thing was said about film and digital, cars and horses, or records and Cds.<br>

The mass market will move but some people will always prefer the other way of doing things and in some areas the older ways are better.<br>

Some people just don't get on with electronic viewfinders whilst some people love them.</p>