Nikon 50 1.4g Locked at Max Aperture

evillegas

<p>Ok first off I feel really silly for even asking this. I did as much searching on the internet as I could think of before posting but here it goes...<br>

Bought a new 50 1.4g for my d750. First couple of shots it works just fine, amazing actually. Then something happens. The viewfinder went really dark. I checked the aperture and it was set to 2.0 (Manual Setting on Camera). Took a shot, exif posts at f16. No matter what I tell the lens to do from the camera it is stuck at f16. I will take the lens off of the body and in a few seconds it 'resets'. I put it back on and it is at the set aperture. Then again, locked at f16.<br>

So Im frustrated. Assuming this is not user error any ideas what the issue could be?<br>

Thank you!</p>

<p>There is <a href="http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00V/00VX3C-211241584.jpg">a small lever</a> on the mount of the lens that is used to control the aperture; probably it gets stuck (and when you take the lens off, it released itself after a while). Sounds like it's slightly bent, probably.<br>

If you have this problem with multiple lenses, it could also be the aperture control on the body, but it is less likely, as the one on the lens is basically the more vulnerable of the two.</p>

<p>If the lens is still in warranty, I'd return it rather than trying a DIY solution (but on a different camera I had a similar issue, and a bit of DIY solved it - it's not undoable by any means).</p>

<p>On the rear end of most Nikon F mount lenses (except for E lenses), there is a little mechanical lever that controls the aperture diaphragm. Remove the lens from the camera and gently move that lever to see whether the aperture is opening and closing smoothly. I have had a couple of Nikon lenses where the aperture diaphragm got stuck, but that was after many years and they were used in very rough conditions. If that is not moving smoothly, I would return that new lens.</p>

<p>If that is not the problem, on the camera body side, on the lens mount at the 9 o'clock position, there is a mechanical lever that controls the above mentioned lever on the lens. Sometimes that control on the body can be bent a bit, causing the aperture control to malfunction. I have carefully bent that back into position a few times over the years. Also do that gently; don't apply too much force.</p><div>00dDV9-556055184.jpg.dadcc1403ae213e9b23c91b0c2c328a0.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

<p>No matter what I tell the lens to do from the camera it is stuck at f16. I will take the lens off of the body and in a few seconds it 'resets'</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Do you mean when you take the lens off and look through it you can see the actual aperture blades in the shut-down position (ie small hole) and as you watch, after a few seconds, they open and disappear from view?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Bought a <strong>new</strong> 50 1.4g for my d750. [Emphasis added]</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The operative word here is "new". The lens comes with a warranty from Nikon. If other lenses work properly on the camera body, call Nikon and return the lens to them for proper repair. Fooling around bending things, even "just a little bit" will invalidate your warranty.</p>

<p>If other lenses do not work properly on the D750 and it is still in warranty, return it to Nikon for repair. Do not attempt home repairs, unless you have a spare $2295 sitting around for a new camera and/or lens.</p>

<p>Even if you purchased the D750 more than a year ago, if you used a credit card, the credit card company may have automatically extended your warranty for another year. Check your benefits.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Even if you purchased the D750 more than a year ago</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That doesn't seem possible since the D750 was introduced in September last year :-)<br>

http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00cp2m</p>

<p>All D750 in consumer's hands should be less than 6 months old, definitely less than 7 months. Therefore, the only way you have no warranty is from a gray-market product or used product, as the warranty doesn't transfer with ownership.</p>

<p>Wow, thank you all for the responses. So was checked the lever and it moves freely but does not 'catch' the aperture blades. The aperture appears to be closed as much as it can be, f16. After 'some time' which varies from a few seconds to minutes, the blades retract and open. It will last for a few shots, sometimes as soon as I focus it snaps closed and stuck again. <br>

At this point it has to be the lens. I have two d750's and it does the same issue on both bodies. I requested a replacement since I just received the lens on Tuesday. Replacement is in the mail.<br>

Thank you all again. Weird situation. I searched on google, pnet, and other sites and have not come across anything that stated a similar issue.</p>