FM2 LENS

leonard_borger

<p>I usually shoot medium format film, but I pulled out my old FM2 and want to use again. I have a 35MM, 105MM, and 200mm lens. What would you reccomend in a 50 to 55mm lens. Will just be used for walking around shooting when traveling. I saw B& H has a new Nikkor 50MM 1.4 for about $400. Will it be to heavy?<br>

Thanking you in advance.</p>

<p>I used FM2n's and Hasselblad for weddings for years. A nice 50mm lens for not a lot of money is the Nikon 50mm 1.8 Series E. They are nice to use, sized just right for good balance on an FM2 and very sharp. Right now they are very inexpensive. Spend 50 or 75 dollars on one and use the $325.00 you save on film and another focal length lens.</p>

<p>KEH has a number of 50/1.4 Nikons (AI and AI-s) in EX and EX+ condition for ~$200. I honestly can't imagine paying full retail for an MF lens when there are so many used bargains out there. But no, the f/1.4 isn't particularly heavy, but the 50/1.8 would be lighter and cheaper.</p>

<p>You all ready have 35-105mm lens, which is a solid metal build lens, which I have too. It is not a fast lens but, a very good all around lens, including the 50 range. Why do you want a 50mm prime lens, because the speed or what? Can you please explain why do you need a 50mm prime? I'm a user of Nikon D3s, D4, Df and several film cameras, all the way back from the F5, and lenses, including for 50mm range, from 58/1.2 noct, 50/1.2, 50/1.4 50/2 all AI-S. And those lenses almost never ben used, except the 58/1.2 Noct occasionally. My favorite lens for travel, for general photography, I have the very sharp 28-50mm f/3.5 AI-S ( two of them, just in case. ) and in my packet, I says, in my packet, the tiny 20mm f/4 AI-S ( I also have the other tiny 20/3.5 AI-S ) and the other tiny 135/2.8 AI-S. The 28-50mm f/3.5 AI-S is so small ( and razor sharp ) as a 50mm prime lens. Why I would need a 50mm prime lens? You need this 50mm prime because almost everybody telling you, you need that. Or, what? Never mind, all the new 50mm lenses are a plastic junks. I get the first shipment of the Nikon Df with the 50mm lens, yes a plastic, and I have no idea where it is, thrown a way, somewhere in my place.</p>

<p>If you`re concerned about weight, a good choice could be a 45/2.8P. On a FM2 it makes a nice small relatively compact camera. <br /> If not, my choice would be a 50/1.4Ai, not expensive, same optics as the later AiS.<br />The 50/1.8E is also an interesting and very compact lens.</p>

<p>All 50mm manual focus lenses are small. The 50mm f1.4 is smaller than the 35mm f2 and a lot smaller than the 105mm f2.5. Well, the 50mm f1.2 is actually significantly larger than the f1.4 and heavier.<br /> The 50mm f2 are even smaller but some of them are almost too small (focus ring is close to the aperture ring and overall length is very short).</p>

<p>But having a 35mm lens I wouldn't buy a 50mm. Better to get something wider like a 24mm or 20mm. Or if you are doing, both get one of the small 50mm f2 lenses to keep the size and weight down. I have all of these and as a travel kit I always bring the 35mm f2. Then I bring different things but usually the 20mm f4 and an 85mm or 105mm.</p>

<p>Either way the 50mm f1.4 is a small lens.</p>

<p>I recently tested my four 50mm lenses on my wife's D5300, a non-AI 50/2, non-AI 50/1.4, AI 50/1.4 and a 50/1.8 AF-D. Of the four, the old-timer, beat up and scratched 50/2 was the sharpest, hands down (at infinity, anyways). Second place went to the 50/1.4 AI. In terms of bokeh, the 50/1.4 wins out, slightly. Probably because the 50/2 has only 5 aperture blades.</p>

<p>I've got a FM2 and while the AiS 50mm f/1.2 is just a bit too large to seem/feel correct on this camera, it does balance well, work well and at f/2 it is a terrific performer (f/1.2 anf f/1.4 are 'particular', can be useful for creative impressions but it's not optically 'as it should be'). Out of focus rendering is much nicer than the others and it's really seriously sharp.<br>

But it is the most expensive of the bunch, typically, and by all accounts, there aren't really bad 50mm lenses around (except for a mediocre out of focus rendering that most exhibit). You cannot really go wrong with any of them, my choice would be the Ai or AiS 50mm f/1.4 budget allowing, else the 50mm f/2 Ai.</p>

<p>IMO no one needs the 50/1.2 unless there are special circumstances. The OP should consider a <a href="/nikon-camera-forum/bhpho.to/1KGQPha">used 50/1.4</a>. I've used mine on my FM2n both with and without the MD-12 motor and it's not at all too heavy or ungainly. The 50/1.8 and 50/2 are also worthwhile.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>You might consider the 55mm F2.8 Micro-Nikkor. It's relatively small, light , unobtrusive and feels just right on FM2. It isn't as fast as most 50's but it's very sharp and it works well at infinity, plus it provides some excellent closeup capability.</p>