Which lens in my kit best for flowers?

chuckm

<p>I will hopefully have a couple of hours at <a href="http://longwoodgardens.org/gardens/highlights">Longwood Gardens</a> next week. Of the non-macro lenses I own for my D610, is there one that may be a little better than the others when taking pictures of blooms up close? I have a 50mm/1.8D, the 24-85mm VR kit lens, a 85mm/1.8G, and the 70-300mm VR. Thanks!</p>

<p>At close focussing distances, you need to stop down considerably to get decent depth of field, so the fast primes aren't necessarily an advantage here. Second, you need to be realistic that none of these lenses is optimised for its minimal focus distance, so performance may be different from what you're used to.<br>

I'd bring the 24-85VR (very short minimal focus distance) and 70-300VR (minimal focus distance isn't terribly short, but at 300mm, will give a decent 'close-up' if you cannot physically get close). They're versatile, and the primes do not have big advantages over them for this work in my view. If you want to bring really only one, I'd go with the 70-300VR, as I find working from a bit of distance easier.</p>

<p>Depth of field is inversely proportional to the absolute magnification. You get the same DOF (at the same f/stop) whether you fill the frame with a 50mm lens or 300mm. However, the longer the lens, the greater the working distance and the less background is included, because the angle of coverage is different.</p>

<p>Unless you want pistils and stamens up close, a 'real' macro is not all that great for flower photography.<br>

Bring a tripod if they are allowed, use the 24-85mm zoom kit lens (.22X closeup, 1.5 feet minimum focus) and stop it down. </p>

<p>If I were in your position, I would go to a store that sells artificial flowers and buy a few that are similar to what I want to shoot at the Longwood Gardens. I would then perform some test shots with my lenses. These test shots would help me decide which of my lenses are better suited for the images I wish to capture.</p>

<p>The closest focusing distance of a non-macro lens may be all you need to capture the images you want. However, a macro lens is designed especially for close-up work. When compared to a non-macro lens of the same focal length and at the same close-focusing distance, the macro lens displays maximum image quality.</p>

<p> Close-up / Macro Lens Comparison00dFAQ-556363184.jpg.e8d32c0bd60168915c8368447e3502ed.jpg</div>

<p>I have a set of "T Filters/(3T/4T/5T,) & I snagged them all for under $30, per. They have been a blessing to carry, however I always carry at least one Macro.<br>

I've also had excellent, near stellar results form my $69. (used) Vivitar/Phoenix/Promaster 100/3.5.</p>

<p>For my "flowers only" kit I use an 85Pc-D & a Series 1, 90-180/f4.5</p>

<p>With your above set of optics, I'd advise getting a set of extension tubes with AF/s contacts. A 12mm tube can transform almost any Nikon branded lens to be a satisfactory for close-up.</p>

<p>FWIW:<br>

The old version, (nobody wants.... 80-400VR,) is an excellent performer with a 12mm tube. (So should be your 70-300.) The 80-400 is actually much sharper @ 400mm, close than it's standard, intended use.</p>