Card Reader for Laptop Computer

gerald_wallace

<p>My recent purchase of a new laptop has solved the problem of downloading my SDXC memory cards to my laptop computer. However, I now want to be able to attach and download my camera's (Canon 5D III) compact flash (CF) memory cards to my laptop. Is there a device that will allow me to attach my CF memory cards to the laptops USB-2 or USB-3 ports? Thanks for your suggestions.</p>

<p>Your subject line pretty much answers your own question. Just about any multi-format card reader will read CF cards (along with SD and whatever other type you have). Around $20 at any camera store or most electronics stores. Here's a link to one for $15.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845797-REG/Lexar_LRW307URBNA_Professional_USB_3_0_Dual_Slot.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/845797-REG/Lexar_LRW307URBNA_Professional_USB_3_0_Dual_Slot.html</a> <br>

I hope reading an SDXC card wasn't the only reason you bought a new laptop. All you needed was a new card reader. </p>

<p>I'd recommend the one pointed to by Craig, which was much more expensive when I bought it. I've gone through five or six different multi-format readers of varying price and level of recommendation, and this was the first one that's actually coped with every card I put in it and transferred data from all of them quickly - others have either refused to cope with at least one of my SD or CF cards, or only done extremely slow transfers. Lexar also do a bigger version that reads more formats if you want to be proof against future requirements, but that may not appeal so much for a laptop. IIRC it might have failed to cope with an Eye-Fi card when I put it in there, but fortunately my laptop's internal reader handled that one. Obviously, I've not tried every reader on the market, so I can't guarantee that others may not be equally good - I can just vouch for that one.</p>

<p>There are many suitable card readers, and those with an USB3 interface are probably the fastest and most widely compatible. I have several Kingston USB3 card readers - one on my desktop, another for my laptop, and a couple to carry in camera bags. They're not expensive, and this model has slots for CF, SD and micro-SD cards, suitable for every device I have.</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1140474-REG/kingston_fcr_hs4_usb_3_0_hi_speed_media.html</p>

That two slot Lexar one by far, my experience. For ease of slide in visibility of the LED and longevity (knock wood) . And good dust free design. I got two, after my Sandisk models disappointed.. What more can one say about a card reader. Lexar makes a good one.

<p>I've used several. They've pretty much all worked to start and then they don't. So I usually have and travel with 2 , in case one breaks. I'm currently using a Transcend, ex-Amazon. I like it and it works well with many card types. But it may well now fail as I've paid it a compliment.</p>