Filters and Hoods for Zeiss Super Ikonta C 1952 6x9 w/ Opton Tessar 105mm 531/2

Hello!

I've dug around the Internet for awhile trying to find out more information about this particular camera, but it all seems pretty vague and

unspecific. I just purchased a nice example, and it is enroute via FedEx as I type. Meanwhile, I was trying to shop for my preferred

accessories. I like to shoot with a yellow or red filter, and it seems as though this particular model takes a 40.5mm size. I read

somewhere that although it takes this size, it has to be screwed on backwards? I can't find the source on that, but anyway. Mostly I

wanted to inquire about a lens hood. All reports on this camera say that a lens hood is absolutely necessary- but which ONE? There are

quite a few Zeiss branded hoods that are 40.5mm; in the neighborhood of model numbers 1118 and 1119; is one of these the shade I'm

looking for? Can it be used with a filter? If indeed I need to attach the filters backwards, what does this mean for a lens hood?

Thanks in advance for your help! If anyone has any experience with this, advice would be wonderful.<div>00dKp4-557126584.thumb.jpg.ed118ce1408962eb759afd2a8c4c55cf.jpg</div>

<p>I can't see a filter thread on that lens, or on the ones pictured at camera-wiki (<a href="http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Super_Ikonta_531/2">here</a>); I think it must be a slip-on filter/hood. That thing about putting filters on backwards sounds like someone's home-grown solution to fitting screw-fit filters where there's no thread.<br>

Wait till you have the camera, and measure the diameter of the front, before buying anything. </p>

<p>Perhaps not a useful answer, but my Ikonta A and Super Ikonta A both take 32mm filters and hoods that slip into a groove around the lens. Perhaps the Ikonta C takes a larger version of that. It took a while, but I was eventually able to get a full range of filters, mostly from German and British dealers on e-prey.</p>

<p>I've got a 531/2, pre-war if analysis of the serial number is to be believed, albeit with the f/3.8 Tessar, so not quite as fast as yours. Handed-down conventional wisdom about lens coatings ("pre-war lenses have less or none") would have us believe mine should be perhaps more flare-prone than your '52 example. I have never owned any hood or other accessories for it, and it performs just fine...once I initially cleaned a lot of schlock off the lens elements.<br>

<br /><em>--Dave</em></p><div>00dKrF-557134384.jpg.16b550375703b344fbfde83438cb0815.jpg</div>

Thanks everyone. Dave, I think you're right. Not to mention the whole package folds up so nicely, a hood will only get in

the way. I'm just excited about the camera, and that makes me want to shop for accessories. FedEx tracking says it will

be here Friday!

<p>Now I'm home and have had a look at the camera, my ca. 1935 one also has no threads (as I had suspected earlier today, from memory). Any hood would be a slip-on, friction-mount affair, and probably expensive if anatomically correct, period-accurate, and Zeiss-branded. Based on my experience with push-on lens caps, I'm not a fan of friction-mount accessories, as they seem more prone to fall off into the sea, canyons, <em>merde</em>, fire, alligators, or whatever you're walking above. (This last example is not made up; on a family trip perhaps 35 years ago, my mom fumbled an untethered lens cap whilst on a walkway over a pond of alligators in a reptile park in Florida. Obviously this was replaced, not retrieved.)<br>

<em>--Dave</em></p>