Looking back to 1959, what camera would you buy?

<p>What I ACTUALLY bought in 1959 (or maybe early 1960) was a Yashica YF. This wasn't a bad choice–really a Nicca, it combined a Leica screw mount with a copy of a Leica M body. The YF was my first interchangeable lens camera and provided a lot of bang for the buck. It's only fault was a very short-stroke, highly geared film advance lever. The film advance mechanism needed repair during the warranty period. I replaced it with a used Canon VI T body a couple of years later which, IMO is a far more reliable camera. I think the Yashica is a fairly rare and costly collectable now, so perhaps I should have kept it, but I really don't miss it at all. What I SHOULD have bought was a Rolleiflex. I still use the 2.8E I bought used a few years later as my main camera.</p>

<p>I was in high school in 1959, and paying off the purchase a used Canon IV-Sb with a Leica Elmar lens that the local camera store was holding for me. It replaced my well used Argus C3. The Canon and lens cost me $90, and I made payments from my lawn mowing, etc. jobs for at least six months. In retrospect, since all my photos were home developed black and white, I would have been happier with the results if I bought a (well)used Rolleiflex or Rolleicord.</p>

<p>That year I was still at university and had worked my way to a Contaflex via a Retina Ia.<br>

The very next year (60) that went for a Yashica Pentamatic which served well for over 10 tears.<br>

What would I have bought with cost as no obstacle? Never entered my student pauper's mind :-( My friend bought a second hand Leica and it capped so I wasn't attracted that way and having gotten over MF perhaps I would have bought a Minox. I was having a lot of fun with a Minolta16 so maybe I'd've gone that way.</p>

• 2 weeks later...