Camera Repair Tools

roy_ramavarapu1

<p>I have several older Nikon camera bodies, and needed to change the base plate on one body with same in much better condition from a donor body. I searched the different website locations for simple repair tools. Based on my actual experience, I looked for JIS (Japan Industrial Standard) tools. I found the JIS type Philips format screwdrivers made by Moody (from USA). I also found many sellers on the auction site selling camera repair tools (spanner wrenches, compass type, etc.). I purchased some tools from Japan Hobby Tool, received them (very fast shipping directly from Japan), and was "blown" away by the quality and precision of the tools that I purchased and received. The tools are made of stainless steel or steel, and the bits are extremely strong, and of high quality. I used their tools to replace the base plate, and they did the job perfectly. I now plan to purchase the complete set of JIS screwdrivers and spare bits from Japan Hobby Tool, and am waiting for them to assemble this kit. They wrote me that they plan to put this complete set on the auction site. The repair tools that I purchased and received were Made In Japan; one tool was made in Germany. I believe that all their tools are made in Japan only.<br>

Japan Hobby Tool replied promptly to all my emails in English, and have excellent communications. They also gave me their catalog (in Japanese), and I can use the photos in the catalog to purchase items I need. Most of their catalog items are listed on the auction website. <br>

I am in no way connected with Japan Hobby Tool and do not own or sell any of their tools/items. I am posting this to inform fellow members about a very good place on the auction site to purchase high quality repair tools based on my personal experience. They also sell lubricants, grease, and lens repair items; I have no experience with any lens repairs, and consider it beyond my skill level.<br>

I hope this helps - I looked at different places to purchase camera repair tools, and am more than impressed with Japan Hobby Tools and their service.<br>

Roy Ramavarapu, 18 April 2015</p>

• Like 1

<p>I've never needed anything other than a set of jeweller's screwdrivers - including small cross-point types of course. Plus tweezers, Blu-tak, long-nose pliers and an assortment of home-made or improvised tools. The Blu-tak is mainly used to temporarily stick screws to the end of a screwdriver BTW.</p>

<p>In the UK we have a chain of stores called "Poundland" where everything's priced at £1 (never have guessed that!). They sell a very useful little aluminium hollow handle containing a variety of screwdriver points down to a very small and fine cross-point type. I've yet to find a camera screw that this little kit wouldn't fit, apart from very tiny straight-slotted retaining grub screws. The Jeweller's screwdriver set has that covered though.</p>

<p>Good repair hints can be easily found by Googling for camera repair and the like.<br /> One of the most useful finds is<br /> http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-27.html</p>

<p>A fellow by the name of Ed Romney for many. many years offered books on camera repair (1981 ad below). After he died his widow continued to offer the tool kits he had sold and I was lucky enough to assemble a kit from that source. ONce you know what to look for, however, you can assemble the same tools from various tool companies and on eBay. The books are still available used on line and on eBay.</p><div>00dFCL-556365684.jpg.7bb09b5a848e927570d51681a78a632a.jpg</div>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...