Which 35mm film rangefinder do I want ?

troyammons

<p>I am looking for something for occasional use that is not too expensive.<br>

I want a removable lens mount camera, like M or M39 etc.<br>

Want something that will take a superb 35mm lens and looking at the Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 lens which in that case would take a M mount although I have a couple of M39 lenses I can use with an adapter.<br>

Want a large or at least largish viewfinder with frame lines for maybe WA through 50mm or so.<br>

Want an in body meter, match needle preferred.<br>

Something that works with a modern available battery.<br>

Would like to have aperture priority and also manual modes.<br>

Want something that if the meter breaks it can be repaired. IE would prefer no Minolta CLE I guess unless they are very solid and mostly break proof.<br>

Want a lever wind handle, IE no knob.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Have a look at the V-C Bessa models for either M or L39 mounts, especially the wide angle RF models. Given your various requirements, the field is narrowed down to these models. There are Internet distributors in California and NY-NJ areas.</p>

<p>All signs point to the Cosina-Voigtlander models. Second hand Zeiss Ikon bodies (the modern M-mount rangefinder) are not inexpensive, as are none of the Leica bodies. Canon screw-mount rangefinders are nice and not so expensive but only the later 7 and 7S models have meters, and most are probably not meters you'd want to reply on today, or have to get repaired.</p>

<p>The Bessa R4A Cosina-Voigtlander body has built-in finder lines for 21-50mm lenses....quite amazing, and sounds just like what you might be wanting.</p>

<p>https://cameraquest.com/voigt4m4aintro.htm</p>

<p>At $800 for the body only at B&H or through the Cameraquest website, it is not cheap by any means new either. No idea how many might be out there for sale in second-hand land.</p>

<p>The Bessa R is a possible candidate. Uses LTM screw mount lenses. Large, bright finder, on board TTL metering. Lightweight, too. Can be found for reasonable prices and there are always LTM lenses around. I've own and have used a multitude of RF cameras over the years. The Bessa R and set of Canon LTM lenses is the only one I still have in active service. The bodies run between $100-250 depending on condition.</p>

<p>Heavily considering the "<strong><em>not too expensive</em></strong>" parameter:</p>

<p><strong>Except for</strong> your Auto "aperture priority" request, the <strong>Leica CL</strong> fits all of your criteria.<br>

<strong>Except for</strong> your Auto & meter & Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 request, the <strong>Canon P</strong> is a possible choice.<br>

<br>

Otherwise when speaking of the <strong>Minolta CLE</strong>, "<em>if the meter breaks it can be repaired</em>" <strong>&</strong> "<em>prefer no Minolta</em>". <br>

I can anecdotally safely state, that it's an overblown concern. <br>

Many years of servicing/repairing them, has yielded <strong>very few</strong> unrepairable units... </p>

<p>As Greg said, if you want an aperture priority automatic camera which copes easily with wide angle lenses, the only choice is the Bessa R4A. The Bessa R, of which Louis speaks, will need an accessory finder for any lens wider than 35mm and will not give automatic exposure. It is, however, relatively inexpensive.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Troy --<br>

If you're willing to consider a compromise or two on your list of requirements, you might get most (though not all) of what you want for an affordable price. <br>

For example, you could probably pick up a Leica M2 body for $1,100 or so. (Sherry Krauter has a couple lsited on her website in that general price range as I am writing this.) If in good working condition (good shutter curtains, recent CLA), the M2 is a straightforward, user-friendly camera with almost no vices. It has built-in viewfinder framelines for 35mm, 50mm and 90mm lenses, and works just fine with the latest and best M-mount lenses in those focal lengths, as well as older lenses. It will also accept M-mount lenses of other focal lengths with accessory viewfinders (or older screwmount lenses with a bayonet adapter).<br>

Granted, an M2 doesn't have a built-in meter. That's much less of an inconvenience than you might think, though. You just have to use a hand-held meter to take a reading, and set your shuitter speed and aperture accordingly, before you compose and shoot. If you are taking multiple shots close in time to each other, and if there aren't any noticeable changes in the lighting on your subject, you don't need to take another reading and change those settings between shots -- you just keep shooting. <br>

That process doesn't take long to figure out. Personally, I find it simpler, more intuitive, and faster than wrestling with menu settings on a DSLR, which can be a royal nuisance. If you don't have a hand-held meter and are shooting in daylight, you can use the "sunny 16" rule (Google it) to set your exposures. Sure, it might be convenient to have a built-in meter or autoexposure available, but they're not essential. Photographers used hand-held meters for decades before built-in meters or autoexposure were developed, and took plenty of good pictures.<br>

It's a bit like the difference between driving a car with an automatic transmission and traction control, and driving a car with a manual transmission. An automatic transmission is convenient to have in heavy traffic, and traction control can be nice to have when driving on snow, but there's nothing especially difficult about driving a car with a manual transmission once you learn how to do it and get used to it. For me, at least, driving with a manual transmission is more fun than driving with an automatic under most conditions.<br>

As with anything else, "your mileage may vary," but it's worth considering. </p>