Troubleshooting, slides are all black and can't figure out problem!

<p>Hi,<br />I have the Mamiya RZ which I love and have used for several years now. I hadn't used it in 8 months, and am suddenly getting all my slide film almost black (underexposed) after processing. I can barely see the image in a few shots, but nothing that I can scan and rescue. I've tried everything and have hit a wall, hope someone can help!<br>

- Sent the camera for repair, and apparently is working fine<br>

- Tried 7 different rolls already (new, old, etc) to make sure the slide film wasn't the problem, am shooting in studio with natural light, so conditions are the same each time.<br>

- Tried bracketing +3, -3 and more... still all black<br>

- Tried shooting against a grey background, still black. (When I shoot the same image with a Canon 7D the picture is perfect.)<br>

So, I'm back to square 1, wondering if it could be something as simple as the battery? Am hoping to shoot one more roll to see if this is the problem, but am wondering if the camera would shoot on the white knob even if the battery isn't working properly (not the emergency orange one when the battery dies)? And if a low battery would cause all these rolls to come back severely underexposed? Any other ideas of what I'm doing wrong??<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>The edges of the film should show information about the film that was pre-exposed when it was manufactured. If that data is showing up normally, the problem is the camera or lens. If it is not, the problem is processing. Do you have more than one lens? If so, do you get the same results with them all? If you only have one lens the aperture assembly may be at fault.<br>

Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>Have you not tried the battery check? I don't have an RZ, but my 645 Pro uses the same battery, and they do seem to die quite suddenly. I change the battery as soon as I start to suspect it, rather than keep worrying.<br>

It's always worth cleaning the electric contacts on the finder (where the meter is) and on the film back (where you're setting the film speed).<br>

I'd change to cheaper film until you've found the problem! Maybe run the camera without film, just to see if manually-set shutter speeds sound right.<br>

Good luck!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>take off the back, put the camera into multi-exposure mode and go through all the shutter speeds ... does the shutter sound/open for the expected time ?</p>

<p>your description looks like you are on the emergency 1/400 speed all the time ...</p>

<p>Always, always, <em>always</em> go for the simple solutions first. Try a fresh battery, then get back to us.</p>

<p>You indicated that there was indeed something there in the images but that it was just very dark. This means it is an exposure problem. Have you tried putting the camera in manual mode and shooting with it?</p>

<p> </p>