Windows 10 Released to Public

<p>Installed as an upgrade on 8.1 and also clean installed from media on W7. Both installations went smoothly. If you have Norton security you need to re-install - they have a new W10 version. I also removed some of the pre installed apps following these instructions: <a href="http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-uninstall-default-apps-in-windows-10/">link</a><br /> Not sure if related, but since the update on CC, I cannot delete files in Bridge.....</p>

Edge, I approve! Works great!

For an quick compare, I set the home page to Photo.net for the three browsers on I have installed on Windows 10. Loaded up Task Manager to check out memory use from a cold boot allocated to the browsers.

Edge is small at 20 MB versus IE at 164 MB and Firefox around 140MB. Likely the higher mem usage is from Flash content in the ads. Plus legacy bloat in the old browser code found in IE/Firefox.

I imported my favorites from IE and have made the switch over to Edge.

This plus the return of re-sizable windows (no full screen by default on modern apps) should assist the migration to Windows 10.

<blockquote>

<p><a href="/photodb/user?user_id=788985">Eric ~</a>, Aug 02, 2015; 12:10 p.m.</p>

<p>What do you all think of the new Edge browser?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I like the reading view which gets rid of all the advertising garbage, and I also like that I can use my stylus to annotate a page. I had a hard time changing the default search engine. I think only Google and Bing support open search standard to work in Edge. I wanted to change to Google but nothing showed up in the list in the advanced settings to add a new search provider. Then, I discovered that if you visit Google.com from within Edge, Google then gets added to the list of available providers......!?!</p>

<p>I reinstalled Norton on one machine and got the same version installed with the computer recognized as Windows 10 in place of Windows 8.1. You can click on the help tab of your Norton installation then click on the New Version Check to find out if you have the latest version or not. You can click on Help>About to see which version you have also. Current as of this post is 22.5.2.15 .</p>

<p>You're welcome, Michael!</p>

<p>Good news re Edge. Thanks. I'm looking forward to W10 but will be a few months before I can do wthout my desktop and do a clean install. <br /><br />Firefox wrote an open angry letter to MS about Edge being the default browser in W10 and making it difficult for users to instead choose Chrome or Firefox. Fair enough I suppose, but I thought it was funny coming from Firefox as they just removed Google from it's list of defaults and forced Yahoo Search on us.<br>

Windows 10 is getting some heat from the privacy watchdogs ini regards to what is turned on by default. Lifehacker just ran a great article that some might be interested in reading<br>

<a href="http://lifehacker.com/how-to-configure-windows-10-to-protect-your-privacy-1716204024">lifehacker.com/how-to-configure-windows-10-to-protect-your-privacy</a></p>

<p> </p>

After installing Windows 10, I had to do a manual install of my Epson 1400 printer to get it to work. Windows recognized my Epson V500 scanner when I turned the scanner on but it was not functional until I went to Epson website and installing updated drivers.

I installed Windows 10 on a test machine, a Lenovo laptop, and while the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 went smooth and relatively fast, Lenovo's software then started causing great problems. So for anyone using Lenovo hardware:<br>Lenovo concluded we want a better Lenovo update tools (<i>"Lenovo users who upgrade their operating systems when Windows 10 is officially released this summer wil <b>automatically</b> advance to the new Companion."</i> My emphasis.). Nothing wrong with that, except that the Lenovo Companion causes great problems while failing to solve any. It apparently isn't ready and insisted on installing an extra package. So it was allowed and tried to do so. After first causing the computer to freeze requiring a hard reboot. And again it insisted on the instal after that reboot. And again. Though running the install up to 8 times, the Companion kept asking to install the thing. Annoying, but not the worst it did. It also caused a couple of Blue Screens of Death (did you know that MS now puts Smileys on those screens of doom?) after which the computer wouldn't reboot as it should, but kept messing on the HD while displaying a black screen and needed to be persuaded to reboot properly. A couple of times, even, before Win 10 came up again. I did want to give the software a fair chance so let it try a number of times, and always the same. So i eventually threw the Lenovo Companion off the computer, hoping that it was removed throroughly and cleanly. We'll see.<br>Apparently Lenovo's software is not yet Windows 10 proof.<br><br>A similar experience with Safer-Networking's Spybot. They installed an Windows 10 automatic updater long before Windows 10 was available, and that thing started to update Spybot as soon as the fresh Windows 10 booted up, deactivating the installed version, and promptly causing the computer to crash. Apparently the new version it is supposed to download and install instead of the installed version isn't ready yet. Not that they killed the updater as soon as it contacted their site to download the non-existent new version. Or installed a fresh updater that knew about the software not being ready. No... Better let the computer crash... Thanks for that!<br><br>So be warned that not every company offering updates for their software to make it work under Windows 10 has got it right yet.<br><br>The test computer is a simple thing, with nothing fancy installed. But windows failed to keep the internal audio device working. It did keep the external USB audio device i have attached to feed audio to a decent pair of monitors working, requiring drivers and settings. But not the simple internal device. The Lenovo Companion - needless to say - did nothing to help.<br><br>So perhaps better wait a while before upgrading to Windows 10 on a production machine, i'd say.

<p>Due to a combination of a dying laptop and discovery of a decent deal, we purchased a brand new laptop late last week, which was delivered on Wednesday. All my machines are running Windows 7, so I booted the new machine, did the initial setup of Windows 8.1 which turned right around and prompted for the Windows 10 upgrade. Within an hour or so of first powering it on we were running 10. A bit of a learning curve as we did not have any experience with 8/8.1 However, the laptop does have a touchscreen (anticipating the Windows 10 upgrade) which has been really nice.<br>

Our older Windows 7 desktop I'm waiting on for now. It does the heaving lifting for photo editing/storage/backups so I'm less excited about touching that one. I'll probably wait a bit for any major Win 10 updates to be distributed before moving over. </p>

It's indeed not, Michael.<br>But that may be because even Microsoft told us that windows 10 will not be a finished product the moment the release it. Because of that we know that vendors of all sorts of peripherals and software have to catch up and will nit all be ready for what they do perhaps not even know they have to do.<br>Not a vote of confidence in the way the product is released. Not per se the product itself we mistrust.<br>I think that Windows 10 will be a fine system. That the main change from earlier versions will be that it is now geared towards harvesting data (Observe how we write, so they can get to know us and suggest corrections, share microphones and cameras, keep track of our location, personalized advertising (i thought an OS's job was to make a computer run programs) etc.) That business thing other IT companies make their big money in.

"I love the comment by some people who are upgrading to WIN 10 that they won't be doing it on their

computer they use for image processing. That's not really a vote of confidence, is it?"

Sounds like a wise practice. I don't know anybody that blindly installs a new os on a computer that

they depend on.

Anyone found a reason yet to upgrade to windows 10?<br>It appears that it doesn't add much, if anything at all, besides numerous ways for Microsoft to harvest your personal details (including not only things like your online banking account details - usernames and passwords - but also details of your transactions. To get to know us, so they can help us make life a bit easier).<br>Having ran it for a short while now, i still think it is a fine system, but not better than win 7 or 8.1. Spend most of the time finding privacy leaks, bunging them up, and hoping there aren't many more hidden away too well to find. So i doubt i will upgrade any 'production' computers to Windows 10.

And as i was busy putting together that sample of bad grammar above (of which this is a continuation) Windows Update tried to upgrade a Windows 7 computer to Windows 10 Pro all by itself. I thought it was supposed to give a warning when the upgrade was ready, offering a choice to reject the upgrade, postpone the upgrade, as well as accept the upgrade. Not.<br>So now i am wary of updating any Windows computer. Luckily, the upgrade failed for an unknown reason (Windows 10 just isn't ready yet to deal with all of our computers), so no need to roll it back.

<blockquote>

<p>"Anyone found a reason yet to upgrade to windows 10? It appears that it doesn't add much, if anything at all"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have 5 systems to upgrade and just finished the first one. It was a bit complicated because I wanted it to dual-boot with 8.1 or 7. There were a couple of glitches that were easily fixed by rolling back to older drivers but the upgrade went smoothly otherwise. <br>

I imagine most of the improvements are hidden from the user. I do like the new browser and its enhanced features and how Cortana and understand natural language to control computer functions. <br>

The new Maps function appears to be a re-skinned version of Nokia's HERE maps; it allows offline navigation via downloadable maps. This will be really handy with tablets. <br>

Still exploring, but so far everything seems to work just fine. <br>

I'm looking forward to Android-apps compatibility but haven't heard anything more than preliminary announcements. </p>

<p>I'll be upgrading a cheap ($100) Windows 8.1 tablet to Windows 10.</p>

<p>There is inadequate internal drive space remaining to accommodate the windows.old folder (which it will need to roll back to 8.1 if desired), so I'll be using a USB key tethered with an OTG (on-the-go) cable. Not expecting any problems, but we'll see. </p>