Lower contrast 28mm lenses as alternative to 2.8 asph

ray .

The 28mm 2.8 Leica asph M mount is a great lens, but I'm wondering what other lenses out there might render with a bit

less contrast in bright sun. The asph is definitely manageable when shooting digital RAW files, but I thought I might

want to experiment with something a bit less punchy.

Any suggestions?

<p>I haven't used any of the other screwmount or M mount 28mm lenses, but I have had good results using an old Canon FD 28/2 on my screwmount and M bodies via a Canon B adapter - drawback is than you need to zone focus as there isn't RF coupling, and it is big compared to Leica lenses.</p>

You can always drop a stop or part of a stop and adjust in PS or the software you using.

DNG files are very friendly for that sort of thing. When I purchased my Elmarit 2.8 lens the first photos I took in bright harsh light I thought were awful ...bad purchase came to mind: but I percieved....

Example of awful.<div>00dQ1T-557857284.jpg.3d77342547b1a0292f0d02dbfcdffae4.jpg</div>

Thanks Allen. Yes, I am accounting for exposure and also adjusting the RAW file, and as I say, the end

result is certainly good. Just was wondering how a different optic on the front end of the process would

make a difference.

Thank you Stephen, I'd prefer not to try a larger lens or one that needs an adaptor.

<p>I particularly liked the last 28mm Elmarit E46 from '93 on. To me it was the ideal mix of sharpness and contrast that made Leica lenses great. I used it from the mid nineties until a few years back when I sold off all my Leica M and R equipment. Good luck!</p>

I'm remembering now I had the 3rd version Elmarit and it's less contrasty, and nice, but large. Also had a

28 Summicron that was very good but they're a bit expensive.

The 4th version 28 Elmarit is apparently much sought after, but I don't know how it renders... Anyone?

You used a lens of mine? What was I thinking???!!!

I don't think I had the 3rd version then, which isn't as contrasty- that's what's nice about it, but it's big. If

you borrowed a 28 there it must have been the asph. Pretty sure that's what I had when we met the

blonde girl and her bf in front of the double reflecting door. Did we even go to Hollywood more than once

together? I know I had a 21 up there on the M8 as well.

<p>That time I do believe you had the 21 on the M8, and when you weren't looking I sneaked the 28 out of your bag..It didn't seem like it was overly big but was bigger than the 35 Cron and I think the lens shade was bigger too. We later ran into the Santa Claus bus: I think we went up a few times. The first time, I was using a Leica f and we went to Farmer's Market (saw the former mayor of LA when he was running for office), went to Cantor's on Fairfax, and then up to Hollywood in the evening. One other time, I remember I was shooting the GRD, and I can't remember what you were using.</p>

Right, I remember those times, and seems to me I had the GRD on the Santa Claus night. 28 Asph uses

the same hood as the 35 pre asph Summi btw.

Also, I remember the mayor candidate shaking my hand and looking at me like I was special. Little did he

know I didn't live in LA. Another time I saw him he walked right past me... Haha.... He hasn't made it too

far beyond the mayorship, what's even become of him?

<p>I use the 2nd gen 28mm f2.8 Elmarit. It works with M6, M8 metering fine. But it uses the old 21mm f3.4 hunky sunshade. It's a nice lens. It has f22 and works great. Problems? Yeah, it cannot be 6-bit coded by Leica. In fact, they no longer have rear mounts for it either. I'd hoped to get the rear mount replaced since I'd fixed it twice with Vice-grip pliers and their were teeth marks on it. But it works great and is a work horse (obviously from the treatment I've given it). As a reference the first gen has the extended rear element so meters don't work.</p>

Using an incident meter and setting exposure manually has given better results this afternoon with the

asph, but it's still a contrasty little bugger to handle in sunlight. If you keep it under control though, the results

can be truly beautiful.