MF 135mm 2.8/3.5. Which one??

mike_halliwell

<p>I've got a need for a 135mm prime to be used as an occasionally un-attended static wildlife cam.</p>

<p>Being a bit of a one-off, I don't want to spend much, so a 135mm f2 DC isn't really needed and it's not a focal length I use much, except in my 70-200mm VRII and I don't want to risk that in the rain!</p>

<p>Are there any independent gems or real dogs out there? I'm seeing lots of Soligors, Hoyas, and Tamrons out there as well as early Nikkor Q and AI lenses. I'd prefer to stay away from M42's unless I have to, unless you can think of a real diamond in the rough...:-)</p>

<p>Most are from the time when zooms were so-so and primes were the way to go. It's going to be set on a heavy tripod @ f5.6/8 so high IQ wide open isn't needed.</p>

<p>Obviously I could go and trawl the usual shops and websites for such like, but I'd appreciate any input to cut down the scale of the task and know what to look for...and what to stay away from.</p>

<p>From my tests and evaluation, the lower tier 135mm (including Tamron and all the pre-set aperture lenses under various names) are all capable lenses, however the Nikon 135mm f/2.8 Ai-S I have has the best quality of all the lenses I have tried by a fair bit - better contrast and colour.</p>

<p>I have a Nikkor Q that I use quite scarcely on film, and find it to be right... don`t ask me why I use to expect it to be pretty poor and always surprise me with what I consider a quite decent performance (usually f8). I bought it long ago in mint condition, for less than the price of a family lunch in McDonalds.<br /> As said, I used it from time to time, always on film, and never for larger than 8x10" prints. I also have a 105/2.5 (105VR and 70-200 as well), so I don`t find it useful at all.</p>

<p>i am not sure anymore, but i think an ex studio collegue of mine had the nikkor 135 f 2.0 and it was amazingly sharp on the d3x. i did not borrow it more often than twice i think.<br>

maybe browse your second hand stores in the area for that one too, maybe just for comparism only</p>

<p>The f2 variant seems to be going for in excess of £350 or $500!</p>

<p>I can't seem to make the KEH website show me <strong><em>any</em></strong> 135mm f2.8 AIs or AISs....maybe it's because I'm looking from the UK? There's a couple of Qs and QCs for $80 or so.</p>

<p>I'll look for a Nikon version, I think. Anyone used the E-Series 135mm?</p>

<p>Mike - I had the 135 E-series, but sold it and kept my 100/2.8 E-series which I frequently use on digital bodies these days, IMHO it is a much more useful lens. It seemed sharper and definitely more compact, although the 135 had a useful sliding built in lens hood. I had a Nikkor 135/2.0 before that, which was a much better performer than the 2.8 E lens, but a lot larger and heavier.</p>

<p>I like both my AI'd 135/2.8 Q C and AI version. Have not carefully pitted them against each other or the f/3.5 version I have at home. They seem similar in performance to a 105/2.5 as a point of reference. Optically, I like the QC a little better, but the ergonomics of the AI are better.</p>

<p>I seem to remember comparing the 135/2.8QC to a 70-200/2.8 VR1, and thinking that the QC looked <em>very</em> good. I would expect some OOF fringing typical for a fast prime when open, but IQ holds up well on a D800.</p>

<p>I sold a hack AI'd 2.8Q on the bay about 6 months ago for practically nothing. I seem to remember that I could not tell much difference between it and the QC version I have now, so I would not pass one of those by if you find one for a bargain.</p>

<p>I went on a quest to find a 135mm for my A7r and D800 and ended up coming back to my 135/3.5 AIS. Tried as many non-Nikon MF lenses, but found none that were better. I also had a 135/2.8, which I found to not be quite as good at any aperture.<br>

Currently in the 135mm category I have:<br>

135/3.5 AIS Nikkor<br>

135/2 AIS Nikkor<br>

135/2 APO Zeiss<br>

The Zeiss kills either of the Nikkors, but it also kills them for cost and weight too. The 135/2 beats the f/3.5 just slightly at far distances (it's actually not far behind the Ziess, but lacks contrast), but the f/3.5 is better up close. The f/3.5 is very good at far distances as well and I have no trouble using it on my D800.<br>

Had the 135/2DC for a while and found it no better than the AIS (AF accuracy was terrible which required manual focus - so why have it?).</p>

I have the Nikon 135 F /.8 AIS and an

AI'd Nikon 135 f2.8 Q. I find them

practically the same in terms of IQ with

maybe slightly more contrast with the

AIS lens. Though others rave about the

Nikon 135 F3.5, I have never used one

that was better than either of the two F

2.8 lenses.....and I have even tried the

range finder version which I believe is

similar formula to the non- AI 3.5 which

I have.

<p>I had the 135 DC and sold it, because it was so unreliable at focus and the LoCA was so horrendous I couldn't really use it wide open. I still have my 135 AI-S f/2.8, which is pretty good especially by f/4, and really not bad at f/2.8. It even worked with a TC-16A, kind of. I solved the LoCA problem with a 200 f/2 and a 150mm Sigma f/2.8, but the solution to the weight problem they're not. Mifsuds have a series E in stock, which mine isn't. I don't know if the optics are different.</p>

<p>The Samyang 135mm (as tested by photozone in the cinema form) seems to be hugely better at LoCA than the DC lens was, if you want a budget f/2 portrait lens. I'm vaguely tempted. Shame no autofocus, of course.</p>

<p>Mike, the 135mm Ai-S f/2.8 Nikkor is probably the best of the 135mm f/2.8 bunch. Soligors, Hanimexs, Hoyas, etc. - forget 'em - they're very much also rans. The exception would be Tamron's Adaptall II SP 135mm f/2.8, which I managed to bag one of from a charity shop recently for almost no money. I already had a couple of Nikon-fit adaptall mounts, so there was no additional cost. The Tamron is pretty close in quality to a Nikkor, and IIRC it focuses a bit closer. I haven't used my 135mm f/2.8 Nikkor for some time, and to be honest I've mislaid it somewhere in the house.</p>

<p>However, if an f/2.8 aperture isn't essential, then consider a 75-150mm f/3.5 Series E zoom. I'm always amazed by the IQ of this little gem every time I use it (and on a D800). The infamous zoom creep isn't important if the lens is kept reasonably level, and can be DIY fixed with a bit of patience and a strip of thin card! I struck lucky with one copy and the zoom was, and still is nice and tight and stays put. A second copy I picked up was a bit sloppy, but I fixed it myself in an hour or so. The extra flexibility of the zoom and its compactness make it a really handy little lens to have around.</p>

<p>Michael B, That's not half bad wide open! Interesting CA 'donuts' on the froggy highlights. You can see that would be a good copy lens @ 5.6/8. </p>

<p>I was looking for another Adaptall 2 Nikon mount and I just found one on flea-bay attached to a Tamron 135mm 2.5. So it's now mine...and I can see if RJ prediction is right!</p>

<p>There seem to be 2 variants of this lens. 135mm 2.<strong>8</strong> and the 2.<strong>5</strong> Close Focus. Anyone know the difference? (apart from the obvious..:-))</p>

<p>I already have an adaptall II 90mm Macro, 105mm 2.8 and 200mm 3.5 so won't be surprised if it's a cracker.</p>