Maxxum 7D replacement

thomas_bozza

<p>Hi All,<br>

I am looking to replace my old Konica-Minolta 7D. (Yes its been a while since I have upgraded my equipment). Despite its shortcomings, one thing I like about the 7D is that many of the controls are manual/mechanical rather than in some digital menu system with multipurpose wheel. I guess I am old school. In any case, I am still learning about Nikon SLRs. I have come across the Df which has lots of mechanical controls, but it is near the top of my price range. Can anyone suggest other SLRs that are more "manual"?<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>If you really want those manual (not mechanical controls, its all electronics behind it) controls, i guess that within the Nikon range the DF is the only option available...<br>

Obviously when going for the Df , the body price just represents the body only, you will also need a (set of) lense(s) to go with it, and since the Df is a "fullframe Body" this can also require some investments....</p>

<p>Other (d)slr 's i know having "manual Control's, include the Olympus ( om-d series ) and Fuji X-TI series.....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Don't know the Minota 7D from personal experience but based on the review on Luminous Landscape I get the impression that it only main difference with button/menu based Nikon DSLR's is the separate Exposure compensation dial.</p>

<p>E.g. the D7200 (also AP-C so with the same crop factor as your 7D) also has a dial for the several shooting modes, and like the 7D lacks a separate dial for the shutter speeds. But like the 7D it has a multitude of dedicated buttons which allow operating specific functions, like WB, exposure compensation etc., be it at different places then on the 7D, while the shutter speed and aperture operation is also by turning wheels on the back of the body and front of the grip.</p>

<p>The DF indeed has some of the above functions, like shutter speed ISO and exposure compensation, work through dials, although they can also be operated through the menu like any other modern DSLR. But keep in mind that those dials also need to be operated, intentionally or not by design from Nikon, in a very old fashioned way. I.e. in conjunction with separate locking buttons that need to be unlocked first, so are not always the fastest way to go. No problem if you're used to it (I come from shooting with older film bodies like the F2 and FE so for me it was a trip down memory lane) or don't have the urge to have everything go fast, fast, faster, otherwise it could drive you crazy.</p>

<p>The Fuji X-T1 has from what I've casually read about it (being a Nikon old timer I'm not really interested in it) an even more dial orientated UI. And there's the Olympus OM-D EM-5 (if you don't mind the diminutive size boy and the, compared to eg Nikon FX, smallish sensor) and of course the Leica's (although from what I gather from your post those are probably outside your intended price range)</p>

<p>Hi Thomas<br>

I also moved from Minolta to Nikon and I think you would find that the advanced amateur cameras in the 7XXX series ie 7100 or 7200 would fufill your need. The 7D did have a reasonably large set of menus as well as the external controls and the Nikons suggested have a good range of dials and switches for many things. Indeed some reviews have complained that with many people now coming into photography and being used to menus maybe they have too many switches etc.<br>

Ironically Minolta were among the first to try and market a menu driven camera in the Maxxum 9xi but in those days the LCDS were tiny and the menus hard to read. Not a great sucess and the later Maxxum 9 was esentially the 9Xi with external controls replacing menu features.<br>

Do you have any nice lenses for the 7D? if so it may be worth you considering a Sony A77. Perhaps you should post this question again on the Sony/Minolta forum</p>

<p>Again, I've never used a Maxxum. However, as Paul pointed out, the only "manual" bit of it I can see is the exposure compensation - the other dials are pretty conventional, and their meanings change according to exposure mode. I'm interested that the front dial is vertical (like Canon) but leaves the shutter button free for the Index finger (like Nikon); the rear dial is very non-Canon, and may bias you in the direction of this forum. I suspect the Df's truly dedicated dials (and lack of intermediate positions) would frustrate you as much as it would many who are comfortable with a normal DSLR or F5-like control system (as opposed to those who prefer the truly dedicated F4-style layout). But by all means try one in a store and persuade yourself.<br />

<br />

Frankly I'd prefer the exposure compensation "shift" button on most cameras to this separate dial, at least given that the EC dial is to the left of the finder where it needs a second hand to access. Of course, that's where the Df puts it too. I much prefer my left hand to be free to handle a lens, and have everything else under my right hand for instant access. But YMMV - and I'm really not dismissing the Df for those who really like that control interface.<br />

<br />

Unless you actually want to go <i>more</i> manual than the 7D, I'd concur with the suggestion that you have a look at a D7200. The dual-dial Nikons (D7x00/D90 and above) handle very differently to the low-end D3x00 and D5x00 models, and many of the complaints that "DSLRs require menus all the time" really don't apply to the higher-end models - the controls are very much as direct as you'll be used to.</p>

<p>If you prefer old-fashioned controls, the Df is it. The Df is a bit of a niche camera for a special preference, and it is not particularly cost effective. The D750 is considerably cheaper and has better specifications and features. Those two have FX-format (full 35mm frame) sensors.</p>

<p>I reviewed the Df for photo.net last year: http://www.photo.net/reviews/nikon-df-preview/</p>

<p>Nikon's D7000 series are DX format (APS-C) DSLRs. They are quite small for SLRs and are a lot more affordable. I am very familiar with them if you have further questions. Generally speaking, you are better off spending more money on lenses than on the body, but if you really prefer a certain type of controls, you may want to go for that.</p>

<p>To the OP: how did you get along with your 7D? It looks like the 7D has a number of switches and dedicated buttons. If you like those kinds of controls versus menu diving, I suggest you look at a D300 or D700 along with the DF. Or a D800 would be good too, if your budget is large enough for the DF. If you try the DF and like it, I think it is a no brainer. That is the only Nikon DSLR with that control layout. But the D300-D700-D800 each have good physical controls. Yes, a lot of settings are adjusted via the command dials but you still have the top LCD showing you how the camera is set. At the end of the day, I think you should spend some time handling your various candidates because that will tell you whether they "feel" right.</p>

<p>I agree, there are not really any other DSLRs that are "old school", if the Df is too pricey. If I were you I would just not worry about it. There's a learning curve for current DSLRs, but it is not really a big deal. If you really must have dials (and I agree they are nice at least in principle) I think the Fuji XT1 (or a Leica) is your thing. However, the trouble with dials is that they have to proliferate, so it is arguable whether they really offer superior handling than the buttons and menus. The XT1 has every kind of dial and sub-dial known to man, sometimes stacked one on top of another. It is probably just as baffling.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>you cant escape menus in a digital age, even with the DF. do you need a full frame camera? if so, lenses could be more expensive if you're buying new. looking at DPReview's article on the 7d, it was a 6mp DSLR from 2004 which was the first to feature in-body stabilization. it looks like it doesnt have THAT many dials: on top, all i see are a MASP dial and an EC dial. also, this was a crop body camera, not full frame.</p>

<p>my first question to the OP is, do you have a lot of A-mount lenses? if so, you may want to look at a Sony Alpha DSLR or SLT body which can use those lenses natively.</p>

<p>if you're starting from scratch, not sure i would recommend the Df, though it does have dials a-plenty. for the cost of a Df body--$2750-- you could get a pretty decent Fuji kit, with the dial-happy XT1 being the obvious choice. buying new would leave enough budget room for your choice of 2 or 3 of the excellent Fuji primes, or the above average 18-55 kit zoom and a prime. you could save more by getting an XT10 body, but you lose the viewfinder and the ISO dial.</p>

<p>on the Nikon side of things, let's start with the D7000, which can be had new at closeout prices as a refurb for $500. that's easily one of the best deals going. if you're coming from an ancient 6mp DSLR, 16mp is a significant upgrade, and the D7k has two control wheels for shutter and aperture. Getting a D7000 would obviously leave much room in the budget for lenses.</p>

<p>the later models with two control dials, the D7100 and D7200, offer increased resolution to 24mp, better autofocus, and better video, but otherwise share much DNA with the D7000. if you're thinking about using older lenses, the lower-MP-count model might be a better call, as 24mp can expose a lot of weaknesses.</p>

<p>it doesnt make a lot of sense to me to spend $2700+ on a body and not have much left for lenses, but the Df offers retro looks, tactile controls in some cases, and excellent low-light performance. but before i'd buy one, i would price out lenses: full-frame glass is generally more expensive than comparable lenses for crop body cameras, sometimes by a significant magnitude (although there are bargains to be had in the used market). Any Nikon body with an internal lens motor, including the entire D7xxx series, can autofocus AF-D lenses, so the reasons for getting the Df tend to be because you want to use a specific legacy lens at its native length or you need a spectacular-looking paperweight with retro appeal. Again, if you're coming from a crop-body DSLR, i can't imagine this would be a huge requirement for the OP. </p>

<p>if it were me, i'd price out Nikon D7000 and Fuji XT1 systems. the $1000 or so you'd save by getting the Nikon could be put toward some high-end lenses, but then that categorization includes all of the Fuji primes and several of their zooms. Plus the XT1 has more dials. </p>

<p>All I can add is that I moved from film Nikons to a D700 with almost no handling pains. The menu doesn't have to be used for most everyday controls - unlike the Canon 5D that I had. Although changing ISO and the like is a two handed (push button + thumbwheel) operation rather than a simple twist of a knob.</p>

<p>You don't<em> need</em> the Df. Just a slight shift of mindset to come into the 21st century.</p>

<p>RJ, the Maxxum 7D isn't a film camera, it's a 21st century DSLR from 10 years ago... it actually has fewer dials than some of today's cameras: according to <a href="http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2008/12/10-things-you-should-know-about-konica-minolta-maxxum-7d">PopPhoto</a>, it has dials for exposure compensation, flash compensation, and white balance. it doesn't have a shutter speed or ISO dial like the XT1 and Df. So it can be described as an archaic/modern camera by today's standards, though apparently it was fairly advanced back in the 6mp era.</p>

<p>Realistically, there's going to be a learning curve with any new camera. for me the Fuji combo of aperture ring and shutter speed dial is very intuitive, but the two-control dial plus external buttons set up on nikon DSLRs works well enough in practice that there's not too much excessive menu-diving. i dont know whether that's the case on A-mount Sony cameras, which haven't tried to position themselves as retro. speaking of which, the XT1 has a huge plus which the Df should have had but doesn't, which is Auto-ISO selectable through a dial rather than a menu. in practice, this is fairly significant -- it's kind of a pain to toggle between auto-ISO and a specific ISO value on Nikons.</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful input! it is very helpful. I don't have too many Minolta lenses, so I am pretty much ready to switch systems (Nikon or Canon). I will miss the in-body stabilization, but I just can't see picking up Sony at this point in time. </p>

<p>Consider Fuji's series. The kind of control you are used to and like is possible on some of them and they are a delight to use... and have some great lenses available. Not a "DSLR" and not the best if you'll be shooting quick action and sports, but a delight to use.</p>

<p>That said, when I moved from an old manual Pentax MX (my favorite camera ever, btw) to digital, it took about 15 seconds to get used to and like the Nikon system (still my favorite user interface out there).</p>

<p>So you should get to a good camera store and try them all.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> I will miss the in-body stabilization, but I just can't see picking up Sony at this point in time.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The Olympus ( om-d E-M1 & M%) do have 5 axis inbody stabilization too ... :-) </p>