Petri 7s

john_bear

<p>Just wondering if anyone knows much about this camera? Specifically, I've noticed two variations. One one has a translucent window on the front of the top plate, beneath the shutter release. The other variant does not. The user manual shows - but does not name - this window. The Petri 7s repair manual lists it as a decorative blanking plate. It does not seem to serve a purpose, since the repair manual diagrams don't seem to indicate that the plate provides a light path to anything. Does anyone know anything about this blanking plate? Why was it there, and was it featured on the early or late models?</p>

<p><a href="http://www.camera.portraits.srv2.com">my 35mm film camera collection</a></p>

<p>It might have something to do with the illumination of the frame lines in the viewfinder. I have a couple of rangefinders with separate translucent windows for this purpose, but they are on the other side of the camera, closer to the rangefinder windows. Look through the viewfinder and cover the window with your finger and see if anything changes. It could be that its just for decoration. </p>

<p>I initially assumed it was something to do with illumination, but I cannot check this because my camera is one without a window.<br>

The repair manual diagrams indicate that any light entering this window would only illuminate the underside of the shutter release, since the meter housing appears to block the passage of light to the viewfinder.<br>

At the end of the day, the matter is no big deal, but I just like to know about things like this :-)<br>

It might just be decorative after all, and do absolutely nothing. Since there are two model variations, obviously someone thought it would be a good addition, or removed it because it was useless. Which was it?</p>

<p>The Olympus 35 SP has a similar window in a similar position, and the manual states it is a "light meter window", which I think in that case meant a light meter illumination window. Not sure why the Petri would have a blank one though.</p>

<p>I have 3 7s's. one with a light meter on top that probably get light meter readings from the rangefinder window and 2 that have the translucent window in front of the shutter button. both have a light meter on top not inline with the window in question but to the left of the shutter button.</p>

<p>Rick: My serial number is 915058, which suggests the "with-outs" are later models.<br>

However, when I look at mine closely, I've noticed there is a second meter pointer in the rangefinder window (bottom left facing, behind the green mask). I haven't noticed it before, but I'm looking at it under a bright lamp. It's not a reflection: it's a physical second pointer. <br>

Cory's finger trick confirms that the light from the rangefinder window reflects this pointer into the viewfinder window.<br>

I love a mystery! I think the translucent window is just decorative, like the Olympus Trips' fake rangefinder widows?</p>

<p>Well, you live and learn...I'd always assumed that the pointer in the viewfinder was somehow reflected from the top, but you're quite right, <strong>John</strong>, there <em>is</em> a secondary pointer in the side of the rangefinder window. Anyway, I suspect that the strip in question is there to make the camera look more "technical", rather like the bobbly bits of transluscent plastic that were often stuck on the front of cheap P&S cameras, when selenium cells were cutting-edge technology.</p>

<p>A comment on a different web site suggests that the spurious window was probably intended for some sort of a feature/function, that however was eventually dropped from series production - but not before a relatively large number of top covers had already been manufactured. This sounds more logical than a fake window being added for its own sake. However, I cannot guess what this feature/function could possibly be.</p>