Unusual FDn 50/1.4, any ideas?

david_smith110

<p>I came across this while looking at FD lenses on Etsy. I havent seen its like before and was curious if it is a one-off or maybe a limited edition run I wasnt aware of. Unfortunately its not in the budget right now or I would purchase it. I really like the way it looks.</p>

<p>https://www.etsy.com/listing/155342362/canon-50mm-f14-fd-mount-full-frame-lens?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=canon+fd+50mm+1.4&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery</p>

<p>It is definitely an FDn since it has the bayonet button, but the chrome and black paint scheme is reminiscent of the old versions of the lens. Just curious if anyone might have an explanation of what this is.</p>

<p>In checking the Canon Lens Museum I couldn't find anything definitive about that lens.<br />It "LOOKS" like the FL / FD chrome construction...but the FDn pictures show none with chrome...yet it has the bayonet lock ring.</p>

<p>In checking this link, at least the date code suggests it was made in 1980 which I think is in the transition time frame from FD to FDn.<br />http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Lens-Aging.aspx</p>

<p>If so, manufacturing being what it is and not wanting to waste parts, it may have been assembled in that transition period, using some leftover FL / FD chrome parts...but including the bayonet lock ring from the emerging FDn design.</p>

<p>Pure speculation on my part of course</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ha ha! Reminds me the <strong>green</strong> Canon T90 that I came across at a pawn shop web sales site. I made lots of research and no hints to its existence, except for a single reference at a forum. So I came to the conclusion that it was the rarest beast. I bought it and it turned out to be a very amateur paint job by a previous owner!<br>

I think this special FDn 50mm is the same thing. You can hardly see the brush strokes at the edges of the bottom silver/white ring. <br>

But who knows, maybe I am wrong? :-)<br>

Koray</p>

<p>Mostly just a fancy hood, eh?<br>

When you see what can be done by the Ukrainians and Russians with old Soviet 'Leicas' (FEDs and Zorkiis) and Contaxes (Kiev) and their lenses, you won't fall for the "unique' and "rare" descriptions very quickly any more.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you everyone for the input. Still not sure what to think about this, but I think JDM and Koray might be on the right path with this being a one off custom job. Comparing the pictures of the lens with the FDn I have on my desk in front of me the parts are exactly the same. Screw positions are the same and everything, so I dont think any older FD parts were used in this one. Which means it either comes chrome from Canon or its someones labor of love. If so, I must admit that somebody did a very good job of customizing it. The sheer amount of time to fill in the little numbers alone is staggering. But some people like that sort of thing.</p>

<p>Quick question, are the older FD lenses (pre FDn) made of metal? Or is it the same high quality poly carbonate of the FDn line?</p>

<p>The lens is a privately "customized" one. The seller is the same one we discussed in the following thread:</p>

<p><a href="/canon-fd-camera-forum/00bbyM">http://www.photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/00bbyM</a></p>

<p>If you want to see more photos, he currently has a similar lens for sale on e*ay (item no. 121405345136). In fact, some of the photos are the exact same ones in David's etsy link. However, the stated manufacturing codes differ, indicating that there are more pimped out lenses out there.</p>

<p>My guess it's a one-off custom job.</p>

<p>Year's back, the guy who runs "MicroTools" stripped the black paint off a Canon F-1 and applied chrome to the entire body. And I mean bright, shiny chrome too. I saw it at a used camera show, probably back around 1990 or so. All it takes is a lot of $$$, and patience.</p>

<p>Gordon, thanks for the link to the other thread. Very informative and good to know about these obvious custom one off lenses. It is a shame that some of the less informed among the community or novice photogs may spend a lot more money on one of these thinking it may be rare in a way that it is not.</p>

<p>Rick, thank you for the heads up on the metal construction on the pre FDn's. Thats what I had assumed but wasnt completely sure.</p>

<p>And thanks again for everyone who commented, most appreciated.</p>