New DPP 4 release - supports additional bodies

steve_dunn2

<p>Canon just released DPP 4.1.50.0. Among other additions, it includes support for a number of older bodies

which were not previously supported. Personally, I'm happy because they've added support for my body, the

original 7D.</p>

<p>There's a brief summary <a

href="http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/dpp_4_1_50_available_with_support_for_more_cameras.do"

target="_blank">here</a>. Canon Canada has added this version to their software download site; the same is

probably true of Canon sites in other countries as well.</p>

<p>Thanks Steve.<br>

Some of the national sites still don't have the DPP 4.1.50.0<br /> So it's best to go to the European site<br /> http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/product_ranges/cameras/eos/index.aspx <br /> that Steve's link connects to. You do need your serial number for the 4.1.50.0 version</p>

<p>A number of earlier versions are also available for download, so scroll down.</p>

<p>Canon Canada accepted the serial number for my 7D. I wonder ... if you're having trouble with the serial number validation on one country's site, it might be worth trying it on another country's site, just in case maybe there are differences in the Web site code or database of what serial number ranges are valid or whatever.</p>

<cite>So I guess that DPP 4 will never support my trusty 5D.</cite>

<p>I didn't see a statement as to whether they plan to continue extending this to support older bodies or if they're done. Canon does have a habit of dropping support for particularly old bodies in new versions of software and it's entirely possible that they don't intend to support all older bodies with DPP 4. But it's also possible that they will continue to roll out support for additional older bodies with subsequent versions. Time will tell.</p>

<cite>Its a good thing that Adobe continues to support older cameras when they update their software.</cite>

<p>Sure, but Adobe breaks things the other way: they don't support <em>newer</em> cameras. They used to keep supporting a few older versions of software with newer versions of ACR, but these days it seems that as soon as they do their yearly release of a new version of Elements, they make sure every subsequent version of ACR won't work with even the one-year-old version of Elements. That's hardly a good example of a company putting customers and compatibility first.</p>

<p>I just downloaded it from the Canon USA site. It accepted the serial number from my SL1 with no problem.</p>

<p>It unfortunately does not support either my (admittedly archaic) 350D or my relatively recent Powershot S100. Those who have an old DSLR or a raw-capable point-and-shoot still have to suffer with DPP 3 (if they haven't got a better third-party raw converter).</p>

<p>DPP 4.x needs Windows 7 or 8. It will not run on any earlier operating systems as far as I know. It's a 64-bit program so can't run on any 32 bit system. I don't think it will run on the 64 bit version of XP either. XP still has more users than Windows 8.x</p>

<p>Canon's support for older bodies is DPP 3.x.x which, as far as I know has not been retired. and supports ALL older Canon cameras. I don't think support for an older camera has ever been dropped from DPP 3.</p>

<p>As far as I know they haven't said they intend to provide support for <em><strong>all</strong></em> earlier bodies in DPP 4.x, just that DPP 4.0 would be extended to support addition bodies. How far they will take that is anyone's guess, but if they did I assume they'd do it in backwards chronological order. I wouldn't hold out hope for the 30D (or even the D30) though. I'd say the 5D might be a distant possibility, but it's probably very low on Canon's "to do" list. I don't think there are too many serious 5D users who would want DPP 4.x (though there are some, including me).</p>

<p>Well, I got the serial number working. The new DPP does look very good.</p>

<p>Is it normal for it not to import the 1-5 check marks (not the ratings) from raw files though? I use this feature a lot but the ratings aren't displayed and sorting by rating doesn't work either. Has anybody else experienced this?</p>

<p>EDIT: Unless I am seriously misunderstanding things (and I hope I am), DPP 4 doesn't seem to import <em><strong>any</strong></em> changes made to a raw file in DPP 3.</p>

<p>Wasn't there a brouhaha a few years ago over Canon dropping support from the D30 from DPP? They ended up restoring the support in the next update. That's one of the arguments Adobe makes in support of their DNG, that converted files will continue to be readable even if the manufacturer drops "legacy" cameras from their official raw converter. Of course, those official raw converters can't read DNG....<br>

<br />I tried out DPP 4. If there are any real improvements over version 3, I didn't see them. I'd need to keep both version around anyway, as I use a Powershot S100 in addition to an SL1. DPP 4 only supports the SL1.</p>

<p>I find the obsolete version of Adobe Camera Raw in CS5 superior in every way to either version of DPP or DxO 8.5 (available for free download and use), even though I have to convert the SL1 files to DNG. But it's worth having other raw converters available for those (fortunately few) images that ACR doesn't process satisfactorily.</p>