Need Recommentation on Lenses for a trip to Grand Can

murtyjr

<p>I am planning to take a trip to see LV, Bryce, Zion National Park, and Grand Canyon. I currently have Canon 60D with Canon 18-135 F3.5-5.6 IS and Tokina 11-16 F2.8 lens in my inventory. <br>

Looking for recommendations about appropriate lenses for the trip. </p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I can't see you need anything really - what are you thinking you might be missing? You have ultra-wide through to medium tele lenses. Unless you are wanting to specialize in wildlife (super teles) or flowers and insects (macro), I can't see what you would need. You could get <em>better</em> lenses such as the 17-55mm IS, 17-85mm IS, 24-105mm etc but that is a different kettle of fish.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Good polarizer filter for your 18-135 lens is a must-have, I think. Perhaps an extension tube or close-up filter if you think you might need closer-focusing capability than offered by your current lenses. Otherwise, you're set.<br>

I've been to all these parks with nothing more than a 17-50, and think your current range would be suitable for 99% of the opportunities I would encounter. Personally, I would not have wanted to deal with the extra weight and bulk of yet another lens while hiking.</p>

<p>I second the idea of adding a polarizing filter and a UV filter and pray for clouds, but not too many. Haze can make it hard to get exciting images at the GC. Be out before sunrise and after sunset to maximize your odds. Take some multi-image panoramas at medium focal lengths.</p>

<p>I think you've got all the lenses that you need. Consider carrying your tripod and remote release to allow low ISO, mirror lock-up and use high technical standards for your landscape images. If you're lucky, you'll have some images that you want to print up at 50" or more. </p>

<p>I took my Tamron 18-270mm on my 7D and put my Canon 10-24mm on my 50D. <em><strong>Never travel without a 2nd camera body.</strong> </em>Turns out that I didn't need the ultrawide at all but I was glad that I had it <em>mounted</em> on my 50D which avoided having to change lenses in the dusty environment of the national parks.</p>

I cannot too strongly endorse the recommendation that you carry a second body that accepts your main-body lenses and more batteries

and SD cards than you think you will need. Also, if traveling outside the US, taking a spare battery charger.

I shoot with a Sony A7, buy always carry my NEX-6 (APS-C) with an identical E mount and batteries. In the US, a failed camera can cost

you a day's shooting while you overnight a replacement from Amazon to save the vacation. That's next to impossible elsewhere.

<p>I give a +1 to the idea of adding a polarizing filter and a UV filter and praying for clouds, but not too many. Haze can make it hard to get exciting images at the Canyon. Be out before sunrise and after sunset to maximize your odds. Take some multi-image panoramas at medium focal lengths. I grabbed a set of Neutral Density Filters (both full and graduated) as well as some Blue, Red, and Orange filters to ‘bring out’ the natural colors of the canyon walls.<br>

I too would suggest an extension tube (set of 3 is really inexpensive) if you think you might need closer-focusing capability than offered by your current lenses – and it never hurts to grab a good 1.4 Tele-extender. Have a GREAT time!</p>

<p>Robin and Kenneth<br>

These Canon lenses are quite expensive. Can you recommend me similar lenses in other brands like Sigma, Tokina, etc.<br>

What do I gain if I choose to go with either 17-55/17-85/24-105 (standard zoom) as I already have a 18-135 (standard zoom) with me?<br>

Thanks </p>

The Canon 55-250EFS is the least expensive reasonably good telezoom for Canon, while the Canon 70-300EF IS and Tamron 70-300VC lenses are considered very good but somewhat more expensive (and heavier). If you are happy with the performance of your 18-135, then I may not make sense to replace it. The Canon 15-85, 17-55f2.8 and various Sigma/Tamron 17-50F2.8 lenses are likely to be sharper and certainly faster, but have a more limited range and cost much more than keeping what you have. A good tripod will add far more to image quality than any other acquisition. Best of luck.