Canon DPP no longer supports older bodies?

jamie_robertson2

<p>Yeah Canon this is a real bummer. I have two versions of DPP on my computer now; one for my T2i files and one for my D6. Working on getting up to speed in Lightroom 5 so this becomes a non issue. I wanted to hire somebody to give me a few Lightroom lessons just to get started and up to speed but haven't found anyone who isn't crazy yet. Only a matter of time and patience. I watched a couple of the Kost Adobe videos. She goes through them one, two, three but I can't memorize the settings and watch the video at the same time. It seems to me that there are quite a few things needed to set before one gets started and I don't want to get them wrong initially so I'd rather have someone hold my hand for a few sessions. Isn't like I'm completely inept, I do DPP and PS (currently 13) elements plus I programmed mainframe computers and databases. I'm in Marin County, CA if anybody is close by who can lend a hand.</p>

<p>In successive versions of DPP4, Canon have already started to do some back-filling by supporting bodies that are no longer current. Let us hope that they understand the need to do that over time for all CR2 files, even those from non-EOS bodies. Meanwhile, DPP3 is still available and being updated. Running two versions during a transitional period (if that is what it turns out to be) is not a big deal, especially if it reduces the risks associated with jumping to a completely new version.</p>

<p>I think it's more a case of support being slowly added to DPP 4.0 rather than support being dropped. Releasing it first with support for current DSLRs presumably reduced the development time so that it could be released ASAP. It seems that Canon are addingsupport for more older bodies to it. It's an entirely new, 64-bit program so development was from scratch. It's not just an update of the 3.x code.</p>

<p>It would certainly seem easier for Canon to eventually drop 3.x once 4.x supports all the EOS line. However be careful what you wish for since 4.0 will not run on Windows XP or earlier versions. I think it requires Windows 7 or 8 and there are still a lot of XP users out there. Better for them that 3.x is maintained and updated.</p>

<p>I don't think DPP will ever support non Canon cameras, nor would I expect it to.</p>

<p>I think DPP should support every Canon camera that can shoot RAW, regardless of the camera's age. I know some people will always argue "nobody shoots with a 10D anymore, why does it need to be supported?". But to my thinking the question isn't "does anybody shoot with this camera anymore?" but rather "were there ever any important photos taken with this camera?". Some photographers do have important photos in their archives shot with a 10D, even if they haven't used that camera in ten years, and they will always need software that can read those files.</p>

<p><em>"I think DPP should support every Canon camera that can shoot RAW, regardless of the camera's age"</em></p>

<p>It does. DPP 3.x supports every EOS DSLR ever made as far as I know, along with all the Canon Powershots with RAW capability. It's still a current item, with updates and support for every DSLR. I presume there will be an update for the 5Ds® and 6Ti/s before they are released. I think the last update was in September 2014 which added support for the EOS 7D MkII</p>

<p>DPP 4.x does not replace DPP 3.x, it provides additional functionality if you have a modern (win 7/8) 64 bit OS and one of the supported cameras. I presume it will be updated for the 5Ds® and 6Ti/s soon. It supports the EOS-1D X, EOS-1D C, EOS 5D Mark III, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 6D, EOS-1D Mark IV, EOS 70D, EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 700D and EOS 100D at present. Whether it will be extended to cover even earlier models hasn't been announce as far as I know.</p>

<p>Like Bob said, Canon is slow on the draw with DPP 4x, adding current models first. Probably only one part-time guy working on it. The first DPP 4 version only supported the 6D, 5D3 and a couple "pro" bodies. The most recent version now works with my 70D and SL1 so I'm a happy camper. Canon is continuing to update DPP 3x and I can open my ancient 10D, 20D, 40D and 5D files on it, so no biggie. All my RAW files work in Aperture 3 and iPhoto, but not in CS 5.5.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<blockquote>

<p>I think DPP should support every Canon camera that can shoot RAW, regardless of the camera's age. I know some people will always argue "nobody shoots with a 10D anymore, why does it need to be supported?". But to my thinking the question isn't "does anybody shoot with this camera anymore?" but rather "were there ever any important photos taken with this camera?". Some photographers do have important photos in their archives shot with a 10D, even if they haven't used that camera in ten years, and they will always need software that can read those files.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is exactly the point. Canon have been ruthless about withdrawing support for camera to computer connection of older bodies, even 1D series, but orphaning images taken a few years ago is a wholly different matter, and would be completely unacceptable.</p>