Street photographer's club

girishmenon

<p>Hi, I'd like to join an international street photographer's club for professionals, a club which is active in terms of sharing relevant content especially legal content, hosting exhibitions of its member's work, publishing periodicals and running competitions. <br>

Any suggestions?</p>

<p>You're on Facebook, right? I think I've seen your FB page and links to your website and blog. But if I'm looking at the right page, you're not using Facebook as effectively as you could. There are around a dozen active street photography groups on Facebook. Click to follow those and you may see some potential connections for developing the type of club or group you have in mind. Flickr and Google Plus may also have some potential for developing these connections, but I'm not active on either. FB is time consuming enough and if I was more active on Flickr, G+, etc., I'd never get any of my own photography done.</p>

<p>The social media game is time consuming but following lots of photographers and groups whose work interests you opens up opportunities to find connections. It's not merely about "likes" but about finding connections with compatible photographers, artists, etc.</p>

<p>The work of developing a following for a club or collective usually falls on the shoulders of one person with a lot of energy and dedication to the cause. Sometimes when you can't find an existing group the alternative is to be that guy.</p>

<p>Regarding paper/print publishing, most of the photographers and groups, collectives, etc., I follow either do self publishing via Blurb or other affordable on-demand publishers, or even very cheap and accessible stuff like sharing photocopied 'zines. I've even seen a couple of photographers selling their own handmade books using stab-bound or similar do-it-yourself bindings.</p>

<p>I know of one particular collective that promotes work of members with photo books, but it's a fairly exclusive group. I'm sure a lot of work is involved for the administrator of the collective. While it might be called a "professional" documentary photographer's collective, it's probably more a labor of love than anything else - I doubt there's any profit involved, and probably just enough money to pay for the publications. Most of the promotional work is done online.</p>