Continuous Auto Focus in video mode?

erik_spring

<p>I have a D750 and am getting familiar with shooting video. I'm fine with manual focus for most of the time, but there are times when I just want to put it in dummy mode and let it auto focus for me (like a quick impromptu shot of my kids playing or something I'm not prepared for). I'm looking for it to act like shooting video on a phone, just point and shoot. <br>

I tried messing with 3D tracking AF mode, but that doesn't seem to work. I've also tried holding the shutter half way while filming and the AF doesn't seem to do so well (lots of back and forth on the focus ring).<br>

Is continuous AF possible when shooting video?</p>

<p>There are many problems associated with developing a universally acceptable continuous AF system.</p>

<p>Imagine if you wanted to track a single individual in a crowd who is moving laterally, and away from you, with others crossing between the subject and your camera. This is just one scenario where it'd be virtually impossible to design a completely hands-off focus system and be able to achieve satisfactory results. </p>

<p>Your best bet is to use a wide angle lens and set the aperture to obtain a DoF in such a way as to include the area your kids will be playing in. </p>

• 5 weeks later...

<p>I am interested in getting the D750 to use my Pro Nikkors on.<br>

It is supposed to have the latest/greatest focus capability of any Nikon although a V series Nikon 1 might be better for AFF.<br>

I would mostly use it for Video with a Shogun and mounted on a TriPod for unattended extended Videos of Bowling.<br>

<br />What I use now is a GH4 (it can go 3 hours with just one battery and card) and because of the greater DOF and excellent AFF I can nearly keep every thing in focus.<br>

But it is not as good in low light as my D5300 and the D750 should be much better.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Erik<br>

Did you try spinning the Mode Dial to the AUTO with camera? That is supposed to be the point and shoot setting.<br>

You could also try setting the AutoFocus Mode in the Menus to AF-A<br>

When in Live View you can set the Lens Servo to AF-F (FullTime AutoFocus). Sometimes this works but usually it causes Nikon's to "hunt" or noticeable refocus constantly. Make sure the Focus-mode selector is on AF then press the button and rotate the command dial</p>

<p> </p>