Need opinion on buying a cemera

dida_had

<p>Hello,<br />I have been wanting to buy a camera for a while now and I found the Nikon D7000 on eBay. Here's the link : <a href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/321476275275" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.ebay.com/itm/321476275275</a> . I would like your feedback to know if what I'm getting in the kit is worth the money.<br /><br />I appreciate your help,<br />Dida04</p>

<p>Check Reseller Ratings and other consumer reports for any dealer before buying. Generally speaking it's best to avoid most dealers with Crooklyn addresses. Stick with authorized dealers or reliable gray market dealers. Don't be swayed by lowball prices or trinkets in camera kits - look out for cheap tripods and screw-in optical doodads passed off as "lenses".</p>

<p>In no particular order regarding favorites, I'd recommend B&H, Adorama, KEH, and either their ebay or Amazon outlets or direct from Amazon for best customer service. There are many other reliable dealers but I've had good experiences with those dealers I mentioned.</p>

<p>Thank you for your response. I have looked in to what you said and I found the body on amazon for 750$. Best buy also sells the body for 780$. Do you think it's a reasonable price ? If so, I think I feel safer to buy it off best buy and get one lens to start out with and build my way up slowly since I'm really new at this.<br>

Dida04</p>

<p>Often cheap camera prices are part of a so-called "bait and switch" scam. In this scam there is always some fake reason that what you receive will not be what you think you bought. They will call you up before shipping it, letting you know that this is a "grey market" item and that it doesn't come with all the items normally in the box. They will then pressure you to buy these items like batteries, chargers, and even the warranty at inflated prices, and tend not to take no for an answer. There is no way this turns out to your benefit. Large electronics are a high-cost low-profit item for stores, there is almost never room for the kinds of deals these stores advertise. Buy from reputable dealers or in store where someone will have to look you in the eye as they try to sell you that gold-plated USB cable for 9 times it's value.</p>

<p>This is an excellent time to buy a D7000, now that the D7200 has been announced. The most credible fair market values are usually found on major retailers like B&H, Adorama, Best Buy, etc.</p>

<p>Personally I'd probably buy from Amazon because we have an Amazon Prime account which includes free 2-day shipping on many items, and Amazon customer service is excellent. But I occasionally buy from a local Best Buy too, and they're pretty good.</p>

<p>Any decent kit zoom is good to begin with. I'd prefer one with VR, to offset my sometimes unsteady hands. I don't think Nikon makes a bad kit zoom so any of them is a good choice to begin with. Later on you can identify which lens you might like for an upgrade. I still use the basic kit zooms a lot on my cameras because they're very good within their sweet spot, and very convenient.</p>

<p>Thank you both for your responses. I agree Steven, I wasn't able to trust them completely. Lex Jenkins, I think the price I found is decent and can hardly wait to start learning to take good photographs. I will do a little research on the lenses.<br>

Thanks once again,<br>

Dida04</p>

<p>In answer to your question, yes, that is an incredible price for all of that gear. I would call the number and ask them if you get Nikon's warranty with the camera and lenses. If you do, I probably wouldn't hesitate to buy it. If you don't, I'd probably pass. Store seems to have lots of good reviews and a return policy that will allow you to ship it back if something isn't right, and Ebay also offers your money back if the item is not what you expected.</p>

<p>I've taken some foolish chances with purchases over the years and always got what I wanted eventually, though at times it cost more for me to 'save' money than it would have had I bought from a more legitimate dealer.</p>

<p>Read closely. This one is headlined as a four lens kit and shows pictures of all sorts of stuff. But read the fine print and it very clearly says "This Nikon digital SLR camera comes with only the body and no lens." This is a ripoff. Run, do not walk.<br /><br />D7000 is a fine camera. I bought mine used a couple of years ago for $1,000 including the battery grip, no lens. B&H no longer shows it new but others might still have some new ones. Going rate for a used one is around $500.</p>

<p>The kit includes</p>

<ol>

<li>Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens</li>

<li>Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor SLR Camera Lens</li>

<li>52mm 2X Professional Telephoto Lens</li>

<li>52mm High Definition 0.45x Wide Angle Lens</li>

</ol>

<p>Thats what it says and Im pretty sure thats what you would get. Most of the ad on stuff is cheap though , such as the "full size tripod"...whats a full size tripod.? $400 to $500 dollars is around the going rate for a new one without lenses. Cameras lose value quickly nowadays..you might pay $1000 for a camera but 12 months down the line you could buy it for way, way less, depending on the model. That particular deal really isn`t a bargain.</p>

<p>A lot of additional small stuff you really don't need, and/or low quality. I'd pass, and do as others suggested - use the established dealers instead. If possible, see if you can get the kit with the 18-105VR lens instead of the 18-55VR. It's more versatile, optically a bit better and as a kit it doesn't need to cost a lot more, which makes it an excellent deal.</p>

Hello Dida,

If you are going to spend $700-$800 on a new camera, I suggest buy a new or a used D7000 body from a reliable retailer

and spend the rest on a good lens, like a sigma 17-50 f2.8. D7000 body for $500 and sigma lens for $350 used from

Amazon warehouse. This kind of investment would be better to start with in my opinion. I would advise not to buy a cheap

telephoto lens right now. Get accustomed to a smaller range of focal length but play with a wide range of aperture. That

would guaranteed give you better pictures opportunities.

A few things: Never go for camera offers that add a lot of stuff like teleconverters. They will be useless. Teleconverters

need to be multi-element type to achieve proper quality, which these screw-in type lenses are not. Also the 70-300G lens

is a full frame lens. It is a rather old model without image stabilization.

Start with a small but good quality collection and add to it according to need as you grow in your hobby/profession. This is

my opinion.

<p>Dida,</p>

<p>Lots of options for buying that camera. Amazon has it brand new as well for similar pricing. I don't know if the warranty period covers Canada. Given the price for new isn't that far from the used prices, I'd probably buy it new, but I'd be more inclined to use Amazon vice Ebay. Good luck with whatever you decide. I'm sure you'll have fun with it.</p>

<p>Bill</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I would still be skeptical of this second listing. By definition, an individual is not an authorized Nikon dealer. And selling a like new camera for the price of a used camera is also a little dubious. And I always wonder how an individual ends up in possession of a supposedly new/like new camera. How many people pay $1,000 for a new camera, take it out of the box and put it back, then sell it for $500? I would stick with a reputable dealer.<br /><br /><br>

On the earlier listing, just to show you what a scam it was, there's no such thing as a "52mm 2X Professional Telephoto Lens" or a "52mm High Definition 0.45x Wide Angle Lens." 52mm isn't telephoto -- it's normal. What's being described here is a 2x telephoto adaptor that screws into the front of a lens like a filter, and it fits lenses that have 52mm filter threads. Not something you would find a professional using. The second item is a wide angle adaptor that also screws into a 52mm filter thread. And no such thing as a high definition lens -- HD is a description of a TV transmission standard, not a lens.<br /><br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>How many people pay $1,000 for a new camera, take it out of the box and put it back, then sell it for $500?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>While I don't know about this individual, amazon lists the price of a new D7000 at $525. Adorama sells refurbished ones for $499. So the quoted price is not too much off the mark?</p>

<p>If there is not much price difference, buying refurb from Adorama makes more sense, because Adorama is a authorized Nikon dealer, so the warranty would be honored.</p>

<p>Canadian website for amazon sells D7000 new for CAD749 ($585 USD).</p>