Test Your Super Computer With This File

<p>on an 2010 iMac with I7 quad core and a 7200 RPM hard drive. Dragging the image to Ps 2014 when not open, it took a little over 10 seconds to open in PS. Took less than a second to open in the liquify filter. On MBP I7 quad core 16GB ram and a SSD once downloaded, open Ps2014 in less than 8 seconds and then about 1 sec +or- to open in liquify filter. Hope that helps.</p>

<p>Randy, you are probably aware of this, but I'll state it for the record. When testing the use of Photoshop memory, be sure to go into Photoshop settings and bump the memory cap up close to the amount of real memory. Otherwise, it will only use something much smaller than that, no matter how much memory you have. This originally led to me believing that Photoshop would not benefit from additional memory. (I'm slow, but at least I do learn these things.)</p>

<p>If the GPU's are involved, then your graphics card (old wimpy vs new high end with gobs of cores) could make a big difference. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>It kind of makes me sick that I spent this much time trying to learn this stuff and spent this much money for a PC that I hope I use for the next 7 years and it's just not quite living up to my expectations.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> You needed a zippy little sports car for photoshop, but your IT built you a dump truck. Both wonderful and powerful machines but for entirely different uses. I'm just kind of baffled that you started a post asking for advice and then had half a dozen experienced PS users offer their time and knowledge and explain why a slow 3.3 ghz 6 core computer with 16gb of ram wont satisfy you as much as a fast 4 ghz quad with 32gb of ram.<br /> <br /> Software, CC6 or CS5, might have a tiny little bit to do with it but you shouldn't be waiting for 7 seconds on CS5 with an $1800 computer.</p>

<p>In my test, the image opened instantly and Liquefy opened instantly, using PS CC. I have a 2-3 year-old PC system with 32GB ram and a 1TB SS drive. Perhaps what makes the difference is the SS drive and the amount of RAM (and how you let PS use it)?</p>

<p>For the heck of it, I just opened the file again using CS6, and followed with Liquefy. Unlike PS CC, there was a bit of a hesitancy (from opening to liquefy) but the 2-step procedure was completed in less than 1 second.</p>

<p>Did not do anything with Liquefy though. Is that part of the test?</p>

<p>Eric,<br>

" I'm just kind of baffled that you started a post asking for advice and then had half a dozen experienced PS users offer their time and knowledge and explain why a slow 3.3 ghz 6 core computer with 16gb of ram wont satisfy you as much as a fast 4 ghz quad with 32gb of ram."<br /><br />Me too Eric. Me too. When I and my PC builder made the final decisions, we actually sat here looking at that thread and there seemed to be an excellent reason for each decision that he made but again, what the hell do I know. I didn't go against the grain because I thought I was smarter than every body else. To be honest, at the time we made that parts list I didn't even realize that we WERE going against the grain. We discussed the number of cores and I guess that I just completely forgot to keep the actual speed in mind.<br /><br />Tell me this, would this just be a matter of sending the CPU back and getting other one or would there me a whole bunch of other stuff that would have to change because of the CPU change?</p>

<p>Louis,<br>

Please refer to the parts list. My scratch disc is my SS C drive. I know, yet another thing that I was told not to do but I read right on the Adobe website that if you had enough memory, "something well below what I have" that a separate scratch disc was not necessary. Since I only used a small percentage of the scratch disc on my test, it would appear that is correct and that a scratch disc was never even used in this case,...........right?<br>

http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00d/00d7jf-554885584.jpg</p>

<p>Thanks Mary.<br /><br />Ray,<br />THANKS ! What an EXCELLENT idea ! I will most certainly make use of that little trick. It's a nice work around that I will take advantage of but still the idea that my dream machine sits here and twiddles it's thumbs on such a small file makes me a bit ill. : -( <br /><br />Alan,<br>

Please look at my screen grab of how much memory I have allocated. Is this not enough. If not, what would you recommend. I know you're not supposed to go TOO high because it can end up having a negative impact of the speed for some reason.<br /><br />Also:<br>

"If the GPU's are involved, then your graphics card (old wimpy vs new high end with gobs of cores) could make a big difference."<br /><br />Are you thinking that mine is old and wimpy? I know it has over 1000 Cuda Cores. You don't think that's enough?<br /><br />Thanks Barry.</p><div>00d7rU-554906584.jpg.d8991f01106e58ff8e3ba96be02e6cec.jpg</div>

<p>Christopher,<br>

It opened instantly in CC or it opened instantly in "LIQUEFY" while using CC?<br /><br />Thanks Gianni</p>

<p>Alan,<br>

I temporarily bumped the memory allocation up quite a bit and it had little to no effect on opening the image in Liquefy. : -)<br /><br />Ray,<br>

Not only does your select first, open second trick make sense but it WORKS GREAT ! This little trick MIGHT just keep me from having to kill myself. : -)</p>

<p>I don't have Photoshop CC or CS6. However, I do have Photoshop Elements 13, which has the liquify filter. The file opens instantly when dropped into the PSE window. After selecting Filters>Distort>Liquify, it took 4 seconds to completely load the image in the liquify window.<br>

<br />I'm running an iMac, 3.2 GHz (4 cores Intel Core i5), 8 GB RAM, with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 775M 1024MB video card and a 27" screen.<br>

<br />I don't know if, in this case, one can compare PSE with the full Photoshop. If so, I think your IT guy has some 'splaining to do!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Randy,<br>

I didn't recall the exact graphics card you had. My comment was a generic one in that regard. Your card is great.</p>

<p>As to memory, I just built a new system using the ASUS A-99 card as well. My reasoning in selecting that was that it allowed eventually going to 64GB. I put 32 in for now, and let Photoshop have 28 of that if it wants. When prices on DDR4 come down, I'll fill out the rest. Just guessing your performance issue is with CS5, though .. but this is JUST A GUESS. </p>

<p>Alan<br>

comment</p>

<p>Alan,<br>

Thanks for filling in the details.<br>

"Just guessing your performance issue is with CS5s"</p>

<p>At this point, I'm thinking and hoping the same thing. In the mean time, Ray's suggestion to select just the portion of the image that needs liquefied before opening the filter, is a really quick and extremely effective work around.<br /><br />Thanks again everyone.</p>