Regrets leaving Pentax?

tse_sung_wu7

<p>I wonder if anyone has regretted leaving Pentax for Nikon or Canon?</p>

<p>I've been in a DSLR conundrum for the last decade or so: I own a number of MF Pentax primes (including the 135/2.5, 85/1.8, 100M/4). I also have the *ist-d, I think, but rarely use it. I've loved my Pentax gear, and as recently as a couple years ago depended on it for a safari in Tanzania. I now want to get digital for the workflow (w/o spending gobs of time post-processing). And we share mainly online, and print big rarely. It seems sensors are really quite good now. And I was loathe to part with my lenses, hoping some day for the Pentax FF DSLR.</p>

<p>But it's occurred to me to base a DSLR investment on old, non-Af lenses doesn't make a whole lot of sense. So I'm ready to get off the sidelines and plunge into getting a modern DSLR, and am leaning toward Nikon. The Df is what started me thinking this way.</p>

<p>FWIW, I care about low light, dynamic range, and bokeh; I would like a more classic UI (aperture ring, e.g). I don't need to have every focal length from 15mm to 1500mm covered.<br>

So I wanted to know if anyone has left Pentax for Canikon an regretted it? I feel my photography has been at a standstill these last few years- relegated to my smartphone :( And with a toddler, I do need better tools, including AF.</p>

<p>Any thoughts welcome. Thanks for reading!</p>

<p>For what it's worth, I have stuck with Pentax and haven't regretted it. Newer bodies will be vastly superior to the *istd in every way, (I have owned the K10, K20,and currently use K7 and K5). Your lenses (which are all great ones in my experience) won't auto focus, so they won't be as useful for photographing a fast moving child.<br>

Whenever anyone asks me about what what dslr to buy, I always tell them that there aren't any terrible dslrs out there but there are definitely better and worse ones for different jobs. A lot of this has to do with controls and placement and I strongly recommend that you try out cameras in a store to make sure that you know if they feel right to you. It doesn't matter how good the lenses are if the camera feels wrong.</p>

<p>since you raised the question in the pentax forum, i respond to your question from a different angle. i have not left pentax. i feel like i know characteristics of the lenses i own. i did not want to start over with another brand. <br>

when df came out, i seriously looked into the camera. on the surface, it was very attractive to me. but i chose not to go with df. why? df does not provide manual focusing aid.<br>

so i looked other options with a desire for an ff camera. so, i ended up with sony a7r. i use adapters for my pentax lenses both m42 and k mounts. mostly, i use m42 lenses with a7r. it has friendly manual focusing aid. i did not have to buy a whole set of lenses. the camera has a nice sensor. since i only use the basic setting, it works for me well. i like to use focusing ring. i use the aperture ring. a7r does not allow you to change filename (insanely unfriendly feature). i use raw converter from adobe so i did not have to upgrade the photoshop.<br>

so if af is important to you, my path does not work for you. if your definition of the modern dslr is electronic gadgetry, this is not your path. if your definition of the modern camera is a good sensor, this could be a good option.<br>

and i still use my k5.<br>

good luck.<br>

--osamu</p>

<p> </p>

<p>As a nature photographer, while I drool over the ultrasonic motor flying bird images you can capture I have no interest in switching. My wife has a Canon 7D. Because of the weight of her system and lenses, she rarely can handle more than 2 lenses. Thanks to Pentax's beautiful light lenses I can easily carry 4-5 lenses that cover my needs from say 15-400 very reasonably. If I do carry the 600mm f5.6 A, I can easily pocket a macro and small wide lens to cover those special images needed. I don't see another manufacturer that matches Pentax for MY general photography needs.</p>

<p>I've pondered the same question, mostly because Pentax is not noted for its auto-focus speed and the number of lenses available for it are far fewer than Canikon. But I really like the k-5ii for its size, weather resistance, and in-body stabilization, as well as its high iso ability, and I'm not sure you can get that combination elsewhere. And the k-3 has all of those plus the ability to turn on/off the anti-aliasing filter (don't have that one though, and might go with the K-5iis as a backup when the time comes because of the price difference).</p>

<p>In the end, I decided that, being already invested in Pentax, there are plenty of good lenses in the ranges I prefer (including 3rd party), so it really didn't matter that there were over 2x the choices in Canikon. The other characteristics I noted above were more important to me than what is lacking.</p>

<p>That said, if someone was starting out today and asking for advice, I'd probably steer them toward Canikon because of the lens/accessory availability.</p>

<p>After years of both Nikon and Canon digital gear I went (back) to Pentax and have zero regrets.<br>

I shot Pentax film SLR's since the 70's and was always satisfied with the images. I did not give as much thought to gear back then. I used what family, friends, teachers or camera store salespeople recommended because that was the main source of knowledge I had access to. Now, the problem is totally reversed. We have too much information bombarding us and we spend a lot more time thinking about gear because of it. Also, the cycle of product release from the camera makers has dramatically shortened since film days so we are constantly wondering what new model is going to show up the day after we buy something.<br>

I first went to Nikon digital because at the time (~2002) Pentax had no digital SLR and I felt the Nikon low-end gear I was looking at (D100 and kit lenses) had better construction and ergonomics than Canon equivalents. I happily shot Nikon digital for several years. As I began to look at more advanced high end lenses I began to gravitate toward Canon. I bought a 1Ds with assorted "L" glass. For studio work I also invested in all of Canon's tilt/shift lenses and was completely hooked. All my Nikon gear eventually went out the door and I happily used Canon for several years.<br>

<br />While I absolutely loved both the physical and image quality of the Canon top-end gear it was like lugging bricks around. Everything was just huge and heavy and not fun to carry. I had smaller Canon bodies (10D, 20D) and tried some of Canon's small primes like the EF 35mm but found both the construction and the images from the Canon low-end gear was disappointing; especially after using the Canon pro level gear.<br>

<br />My Pentax film gear was still sitting around collecting dust and I picked up the slim ME Super film body and spun the silky smooth focus rings on my PENTAX-A lenses and wondered why even the smallest Nikon and Canon digital bodies had to be so much larger than those old Pentax film bodies. I still have no good answer for that.<br>

I bought a Pentax K-7 and stuck my 20+ year old manual lenses on it and was thrilled. The Pentax body was smaller AND better build than the small "N" and "C" bodies at the time (although I think both may have at least stepped up to weather sealed bodies since then).<br>

Now days I shoot purely for personal enjoyment with the Pentax K-5IIs and mostly a 21mm Limited lens. Yes, the lens is not weather sealed but it has gotten moist many times and it is no worse for wear. When I know the weather is going to be "exciting" I have some Pentax lenses that are sealed. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>FWIW, I care about low light, dynamic range, and bokeh; I would like a more classic UI (aperture ring, e.g). I don't need to have every focal length from 15mm to 1500mm covered.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Pentax is not a religion, but just a camera brand. If I had regrets about selling off my Pentax gear than I'd simply buy some more and get on with it. It's all replaceable stuff.</p>

<p>Your stated needs can be met by any current DSLR or interchangeable lens mirrorless system, excepting the old-style aperture ring control which is a factor of modern lens design these days.<br /> <br />I'd suggest you refine your requirements and then go to a store and feel how things fit and work for you.</p>

<p>I started drifting away from Pentax to Canon several years ago because their AF systems didn't fulfill work requirements. Last year I gave the K-3 a try, but found that it was still inferior in a few ways. After selling that off I now use a Canon 5DMK3 and a Canon 7D and have been a satisfied shooter.</p>

<p>But my requirements are very different from yours. All camera systems are really good these days. When I compiled my top 25 shots of 2014 today, I noticed that two of these were taken with my iPhone. It's not the gear, it's the shot.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>After several years of shooting with a K-100 D Super (the little camera that could), I sold off almost of all my Pentax gear this past spring. I parted with the K-100 D Super, three SMC A Primes, two FA primes and two DA zooms with the intention of starting fresh.</p>

<p>I had borrowed a friends 5D Mk II for a weekend to get a feel for Canon (he has upgraded to a Mk III). I found it to be a very capable photographic tool but a beast to carry all day. The bone jarring shutter clack was also unsettling but had no negative impact for image capture:-) Not quite happy with the Canon, I was able to try a Nikon D7000 for a day. The Nikon was more familiar for muscle memory (being somewhat similar in layout to a Pentax) and was dynamite to shoot with. The first thing I had noticed with the Nikon was the greater number of AF points and the size/weight were more of what I prefer.</p>

<p>Then I tried a K-5 II and K-3. While the 24 MP resolution of the K-3 was stellar, the K-5 II was no slouch either. What really stood out for me was that both Pentax cameras were very comparable to the Nikon with the K-3 seeming to be a little better (but it is newer technology and therefore not a fair comparison).</p>

<p>In the end, I made my choice between Pentax and Nikon based on glass. In the past 6 months I have acquired 3 HD DA Limiteds, the 21, 40 and 70. As a gear minimalist, who wants to squeeze all possible IQ out of the camera and is comfortable with the shooting discipline of carrying a kit of primes - Pentax is a solid system. Having a small, portable kit means that I'm now taking the camera out and about much more often. As for AF speed - the Limiteds are blazing fast on the K-5 II. The only advice I offer for you to consider is; "spend more on the lenses than the camera body". You'll have the lenses much longer and great glass enhances IQ much more than having the latest and greatest sensor. With the K-5 II and HD DA 21 / HD DA 40 combo I have printed several high quality 24" X 36" canvas prints without any loss in detail. Will you need larger prints? If so, you'll want a larger sensor. I'll eventually get a K-3 or a K-3 II down the road but for now the K-5 II is more than enough photographic firepower for what I shoot. Cheers.</p>

<p><em>..."Pentax is not a religion, but just a camera brand"...</em><br /> More or less the way I feel. Yet I keep coming back to it, most likely out of nostalgia. The Spotmatic SP<br /> was a great tool at the time. My recent K-3 does quite well compared to my Canons, though the latest<br /> <em>af</em> somewhat better and faster. Because of lack of long focals for the (now) Ricoh products, comparisons <br />can only be subjective. Too bad neither Sigma nor Tamron offer their latest <em>(and greatest)</em> super zooms<br>

for the Pentax system. Yet, WR of the newer Pentax bodies and some lenses is quite a +..! My EOS 70D for<br /> example had to go to Canon twice in about 6 months for service. Plenty humidity spots on the mirror. Don't<br /> know how they come about. Never had such issue with Pentax bodies of the last, say, 6 to 8 years. Prior<br /> to that on analog bodies, we used to remove such ourselves.<br /> And so it goes...</p>

<p>Thanks for everyone's input. I looked at the Nikon D750 and D610 today. Huge. <br>

On the K5ii or K5iis:<br>

1. what kind of fiddling is needed to shoot with SMC (aka P...?), SMC-M, and SMC-A lenses? I seem to recall needing to stop down on the *ist-D when using any pre-FA lens.<br>

2. anyone know if it's possible to mount a Cosina Voigtlaender Leica screw mount (LTM) lens on Pentax bodies, namely the 1st gen. 15mm/4.5 uncoupled? </p>

<p>SMC and SMC-M lenses meter stopped down, and accuracy isn't always that great. SMC-A and all AF lenses meter wide open if you have the aperture ring set to A, past f/22 or whatever the smallest opening is on a particular lens. Any LTM mount is designed for a much shallower body, so an adapter (if there is one) would require optical elements for infinity focus, so you're almost certainly out of luck with the Cosina 15 mm. <br>

I also have found the compactness of the Pentax DSLRs one of their best features--nothing against Nikon, Canon or people with large hands!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I wonder if anyone has regretted leaving Pentax for Nikon or Canon?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I never regretted leaving Pentax for Nikon or Canon because I never really left. I still use Pentax 35mm film cameras (Spotmatic and ME); but I now use Nikon digital SLRs and Canon digital compacts.</p>

<p>At one point I had a K3, 645Z and GH4. The 645Z is pretty much reserved for occasions where image quality above all else is the goal. I was initially using the GH4 for video but after shooting stills and finding them to be excellent, the smaller size of the body and lens made it more inviting, along with faster, more accurate focusing. I sold the K3 and have no regrets. Canon and Nikon weren't even on my radar and haven't been for years, although Pentax could certainly learn from Canon Professional Services as to how to support professional products. Pentax will never win wide appeal in professional circles until Ricoh gets the service and support act together, make it an in-house function and stop farming it out to the lowest bidder.</p>

<p>I have a Pentax K3 and love it mostly. I've been wanting the Canon 70D for it's touchscreen and flip screen and I got one during the black friday refurb sale and really love it too. The K3 is a fine camera, but I guess I'm a bit of a feature fiend and I love the idea of being able to touch a point on the touch screen and have the camera focus there and take a picture too. The wifi functionality and tethering is really nice too. The autofocus on the canon's with their silent focus is really much better than Pentax's screw drive and unreliable SDM (I'm looking at you 16-50mm).</p>

<p>That said, I'm probably going to keep both for now.</p>

<p>Briefly tried the Nikons, but I find their controls counter-intuitive, the Pentax is the best IMO. The Canon has improved and has been helped with the touch screen, but still has room for improvement.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I have been a multi-system user since 1990 and I don't regret it. For one thing, it removes the angst involved in switching systems -- something I went through in 1989 when I switched from Canon FD to Nikon. The next year I bought an EOS outfit for the wife, but continued to add to it for my own purposes. Years later, I got tired of wishing I wouldn't have sold my Canon FD gear, so I bought most of it back, and then some. All the while, I hung on to Nikon. About five years ago, I bought a Pentax KX because of a brief but very enjoyable encounter I had with one back about 25 years ago. I never got over it, so I decided to do something about it, which is why the KX came into the fold. About a year later, I fell into a super deal on a Spotmatic SP with 1.4 Super Tak, and ever since I've been slowly accumulating Pentax gear. In addition to the KX, I now own a K2 and KM, and in addition to the Spotmatic, I own an SP and an F, plus several Takumar M42 lenses.</p>

<p>The best thing about all this is my "no regrets" attitude toward it all. I'm now very much inclusive rather than exclusive. It makes the whole experience more enjoyable, I find.</p>