How to Achieve This Effect?

<p>This doesn't seem to be the precise forum for what I'm after, but I hope it's not too far off.<br>

How is the effect on the water achieved in this image? http://www.flickriver.com/photos/jorma_hevonkoski/11097417234/ <br>

Is it a very slow shutter speed with the camera set on a tripod? Or is this something done after the fact, on the computer? If so, please guide me on how to do it.</p>

<p>Yes, a shutter that's open long enough to blur the water. Depending on the amount of light in the scene and how far down you may want to close the aperture on your lens, you may need an ND (neutral density) filter on the lens in order to reduce the light. Keep the ISO low, which both decreases the camera's effective sensitivity to longer exposures and reduces the noise in the results.<br /><br />There are ways to very painstakingly do something similar in post (a stack of layers in PS to introduced masked motion blur and other fuzzifcation effects), but this is yet another occasions where it's WAY less work (and likely far more pleasing to the eye) to get it right in the camera in the first place.<br /><br />Many discussions online to be found - just google for "waterfall blurring" and similar phrases - you'll see tips and anecdotes galore.</p>

Assuming the title is accurate , the photo was shot at night so yes the photographer used a long exposure. What is most

interesting to me about the photo is the lighting - very soft and diffuse, yet with good contrast and definition. Perhaps he

shot on a night with a full moon and thin clouds? I also wonder whether the glow in the background is man-made or

natural.