Photo That Accompanies Submissions

howard_pohl

<p>The photos eligible to appear at the bottom of discussion forum threads are drawn from a pool of photos that were submitted for ratings. To increase the variety of photos eligible from your portfolio, submit more for ratings.</p>

<p>From among my own photos, I submit for ratings photos that aren't necessarily my "best" or conventionally appealing but which are potentially interesting and more likely to generate diverse comments from other discussion forum participants.</p>

Perhaps Lex, the pool could be expanded for those who do not enter the ratings or critique forum. Maybe we could each designate a favored couple if we desire or not desire of course. Or some other modality, ( pehaps the NW forum even)not too bothersome for the staff.

I have no idea whether anything represents me at all, not a problem but I see the same photo by Harry Joseph and now I understand why that is...no biggie, Lex. On the other hand maybe I can be persuaded to submit to crttique and go with the flow in my old age... I am easy. I bet John Peri will never get a footnoted photo either for different reason.

<p>I have no control over the admin stuff, such as the pool of eligible photos for this particular situation. The only change I'd suggest is to bypass the ratings system as an entry point for the pool. Instead, members would be able to tick a check box indicating that they'd like a particular photo(s) to be eligible for the pool of randomly drawn photos. But it's a minor issue. I pay little attention to the ratings I receive, and my only interest is to make a photo eligible for this pool.</p>

<p>Personally I think it's a good idea to keep it completely separate from the rest of the gallery process. Folks who participate in the discussion forums, and who have photos submitted for ratings, are eligible for photos to appear at the bottom of the discussion forum threads.</p>

<p>The discussion forums and gallery/critique/rating process have traditionally tended to be very separate and distinct entities and activities, with relatively little crossover. It would be superfluous and redundant for the discussion forum photo pool to draw from photos by members who already dominate the ratings but don't participate in discussions.</p>

<p>The gallery/rating/critique process tends to attract one demographic of members; the forums, another. The photos appearing at the bottoms of the threads tend to draw insightful comments, not ratings. In my experience, it's a good thing.</p>

<p>Lex, Thanks for your thoughtful, helpful commentary on the subject. However, I know I have submitted at least seven photographs for criticism and have received comments on almost all of them, yet the same photo appears under all my submissions. Do I need to have more than seven critiqued to see any variety?</p>

<p>There is nothing to say that you need to worry about whatever ratings are done to your prizes.</p>

<p>I don't, and the only reason I submit for ratings is so my pictures will be shown at the bottom. When I do get written comments (which are more interesting) they are more often than not brought to my pictures from the display at the bottom of the page.</p>

<p>Okay, I have definitely lost my mind. I cannot figure out how to submit photos for numerical ratings. I can see numerical ratings that I have submitted for others, and numbers that others have given me in the past, but nowhere do I see how to submit a photo for a numerical rating. Help!</p>