Help me choose a compact

<p>(I hope this is the right forum for this)</p>

<p>I’m currently in the market for a compact camera. I used to shoot a lot with my DSLR, but don’t have much time to shoot anymore and don’t like lugging around a big camera when I do. I’m looking for some help and advice on buying a decent compact. Right now I am eyeing the G16 and the S120 (although I’m by no means wedded to canon). Just wondering what users here thought of these cameras, or if they could recommend something comparable that might be better.</p>

<p>Here are a few things I’m looking for in a compact:</p>

<p>1) Price: I’d like to stay under 500.<br /> 2) Size: Something pocketable. I played with the G16 in store, and while its on the bigger end of what I’m looking for I think its workable. Anything bigger, however, is probably a no go (the G1X is crossed off my list for this reason)<br /> 3) Easy access to manual controls: I’ve played with some compacts where you have to dig deep in the menu to change f/stop and shutter, which is a bit annoying.<br /> 4) Decent high ISO capabilities. Doesn’t have to be amazing, but I’d like something I can use at night.<br>

5) The wider the focal range the better<br>

6) A few things that are nice but not essential: viewfinder, wifi, hotshoe, articulating screen</p>

<p>All feedback and advice is appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>(Also, do any compacts cameras come with a manual focus option? I have yet to see this.)</p>

<p>Many compacts come with manual focus. The G16 certainly does (see http://www.photo.net/reviews/canon-g16-review/).</p>

<p>I'd add the Nikon P7800 to your list. It has many of the features you want including wide zoom range, WiFi and articulated screen.</p>

<p>If you don't need the zoom range, WiFi or articulated LCD, the Sony RX100 will give the the best images since it has a 1" Exmor sensor.</p>

<p>However this was originally posted to the EOS forum, not the compact/mirrorless camera forum (http://www.photo.net/digital-camera-forum/) which is where this question really belongs, so I'm moving it there</p>

<p>Thanks for bringing the Nikon to my attention, I hadn't seen that one. It seems slightly larger than the G16 (and about a 100 more), so I think the G16 has an edge on it, for my tastes.</p>

<p>The RX100 is a sexy looking compact. I've been giving that one a look.</p>

<p>I have both the S110 (the model just before the S120) and a G16. Both are superb, with the S110 making a perfect general photography pocket camera, so the same would apply to the S120. That being said though, the G16 is my favorite since it's faster in all aspects of operation (as would be the S120 since it has the same, slightly improved sensor and Digic 6 processor) and has a very fast f/1.8-2.8 lens. While the S-series and RX100 series cameras are stopped down to a smaller aperture at their maximum zoom, the G16 will still shoot at f/2.8 at max zoom, which is great for low light shooting.</p>

<p>[[i'd have a hard time recommending an S120 when the rx100 delivers so much better results.]]</p>

<p>Indeed. A small sensor compact like the S120, for that kind of money, is a really questionable decision at this point. The RX100 II with the newer sensor is (IMHO) the sweet spot when looking at used or refurbished.</p>

<p><strong>Rob G</strong>--I'm referring mainly to AF and shutter lag times. Canon says that the AF time of the G16 is 54% faster than the G15, which has the same sensor as my S110. The S120 and the G16 have the same sensor and processor. I don't really use manual focus on my G16 so I can't really speak to that with any authority. <br>

<strong>Rob B</strong>--I agree that the RX100 (or G7X if one wants to stick with Canon) have superior IQ, but the smaller sensor S-series and G-series still produce excellent IQ that prints well up o 16x20, and they're significantly less expensive. Of course I'm not telling you anything you don't already know since you have vast experience with all of these.</p>

<p>The Nikon Coolpix A checks a number of your boxes, yet lacks zoom or viewfinder. Image quality is really exceptional for a compact. It has a D7000 APS-C sensor and processor. The 18.5mm focal length is 28mm FF equivalent. WiFi requires purchase of an adapter.</p>

Don't pass by the high end, a little more money, - ergo the latest fixed lens 4/3 sensor compact issued in the popular Panasonic LX series. Fast zoom lens. I mean the DMC LX100.

If I were not already set up with a quick grab and run model, I would look at what you get in the LX100 for about $750. Medium range zoom lens with a Leica branded f 1.7 to 2.8 zoom and a built in high res finder and tough build. I wish someone would send me one for my birthday but hey, I got no more room for more gear...just a very impressive combo with a large enough sensor and small enough to more or less carry easily....tiny, no, but a small Thinktank bag maybe. Add a mini flash and you are back in business. Check it out on the review sites, and see if it feels good in hand if possible. Layout is important that is.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1082158-REG/panasonic_lumix_dmc_lx100_digital_camera.html

<p>If you don't need a zoom, the Ricoh GR is fantastic. I carry it around regularly in my pocket. APSC sensor. Fixed 28 2.8 (equivalent) lens. I've had an RX100 which is also pocketable, but while it had a zoom I found it slower to use than the Ricoh, and the difference in sensor size makes a big difference in image quality (for me, at least). I also have a Fuji X100s which is great in its own right--I prefer <em>using </em>it to the Ricoh, but I prefer <em>pocketing </em>the Ricoh, which means in practice the Ricoh is actually with me more. </p>