Using IPad for visualization

ted_weitz2

<p>Hi<br /> I am just getting started with Large Format and have no practical experience with it. I am interested in getting B&W work with that format.<br /> I was thinking if we can use the IPad [iPad Mini] for visualization like what the polaroid back is used for. Not sure if this is being done already or not. The size of the iPad seems to me to land it self for such usage.<br /> Do people here have any experience with such usage? Are there any Apps people like for B&W usage on the iPad that they found helpful - useful?<br /> Thanks so much<br /> Ted</p>

<p>It sounds like there are actually two things going on here. 1. You want to use the iPad to help with visualizing how the scene will look when printed in black and white. You can do this without any additional software. Just take the picture, go to edit and pick "Mono", "Tonal" or "Noir." After just a few prints, you will know which edit most closely resembles your film and paper combination. </p>

<p>2. Using the iPad to visualize composition. Personally, I would find this a waste of time. The composition is there in the ground glass. A viewing square would be much faster. But, try it and see how it works for you. </p>

<p>Thanks Guys!<br>

I appreciate the responds I got here for my novice posting.<br>

I was just playing with the idea as I thought that it can replace the Polaroid back. It is the B&W appearance of it that I thought it will help with. Given all that, I wondered if others have done that and is it a common practice in LF. I will try playing with it and see how practical it is. </p>

<p>The iPad is likely to be a distraction, and yet another thing to carry. As you will quickly find, there is no shortage of things to carry for large format work, like film in holders, light meter, lenses on boards, tripod etc. If you're going to use a 4x5 or larger camera, you will have to take the time to adjust to looking at the ground glass (upside down and reversed from left to right, unless you carry along a mirror attachment to make it right side up, another delicate, bulky object). There aren't any shortcuts, but the pay off is there when you print from a large negative. The interesting thing that I found was that I had far less need to crop my 4x5 negatives when printing than smaller format negatives since I composed a lot more carefully on the big ground glass. </p>

<p>Why complicate things with electronic viewing when you can see the images on the ground glass, write any notes you want to refer to later and learn to use the camera without the crutch?<br>

Start using the camera, processing and printing the negatives and you may find all the extra electronic stuff is not needed.<br>

Concentrate on the images, not the process. After a bit of experience with the View Camera this will get easier and your images should improve as you can get rid of everything that distracts you.</p>