Nikon D810 hot deal - worth considering

kuul13

I am planning to buy D810 for a while and was waiting to see if I get any Black Friday deal - I am being optimistic :)

While keeping my eye open, I saw this unbelievable deal from nikondeal.com. Hard to believe $830 off.

http://www.nikondeal.com/nikon-d810-for-2699/

Although, getitdigital has great reputation in eBay, but not sure if I should buy something this big an investment from them. It's hard to

ignore $830, but I woul like to know what should I consider befor busying?

It has 3 year extended service plan but what does that mean? Will nikon service center accept this camera for any repairs? I guess no.

So, I am not sure how does that work, meaning they say "The Extended Protection Plan allows you to service your camera against

manufacturer defects, but for a period of 3 full years beginning from the day of purchase. This enables customers to receive fast, cost

free repairs done by factory trained and authorized technicians." Plus "Extended service and protection plans, including protection against

drops and spills and other accidents are offered in our ebay store". Is it worth going with them?

This camera is a direct import item - it is exactly the same as the USA model, meaning that there is no technical difference - all cameras

are manufactured in the same factories by the same workers. Direct import models do not carry a USA manufacturer warranty???

So, is $830 saving worth considering I am going for such an expensive camera. I know every one has different requirement and different

meaning of worth but still I want to know from some experience people here.

Thanks in advance.

Sri

Www.klickzbysri.com

<p>Do yourself a favor and check Reseller Ratings: http://www.resellerratings.com/. The store you have in mind is not even rated.</p>

<p>There is no point to call Nikon customer service. That store has made it very clear that they are not an authorized dealer. At best, you are getting a gray-market unit, but I wonder whether you will indeed receive some sort of D810 at that price or they'll tell you stories such as the plastic version is out of stock and you need to pay more for the metal version .... We have seen all sorts of scams before.</p>

<p>I wish you luck.</p>

<p>If you read the fine print, you may also note the following:</p>

<p><em><strong>Please note:</strong> The photographs of some accessories may not reflect the actual item shipped. At times, we may substitute accessories for similar ones of equal or greater value.</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

<em><br /></em>I have noticed similar disclaimers from other discounters, the gist of which is that they separate the kits and reassemble their own. They do not guarantee that what is in their box is what Nikon put in theirs.</p>

<p>I fully agree with Shun that this could easily be a scam.<br>

However, I do not know if Nikon has reduced their prices recently, as I do not follow it that closely pt, but the Nikon D810 can be purchased over the counter in one of the best shops in Ho Chi Minh City for<br>

USD 2,974 ex importer - 12 months warranty<br>

USD 2,528 parallel import - 6 months warranty<br>

based on the unofficial rate of exchange this morning!</p>

<p>Big ticket items, I avoid gray market. The biggest gray market purchase I made was a 80-200 f2.8D for around $750, back in the late 90's.<br>

I once had a problem with an F4s that Nikon Service Center could not fix. A brand spanking new one from New York arrived at my home a couple weeks later. Had I bought a gray market F4s, you can guess how it would have ended. <br>

Lenses, maybe (depending on the unit, big maybe). Bodies, no gray for me.</p>

<p>I would not go to 42nd St Photo either. Although they have a listing at resellerratings, there is something very suspicious to my eye about their "reviews". The positive reviews are all written using the same sort of language, spelling, grammar, and form. Real people do not write all the same. Compare these with the believably real negative reviews -- each is as different as people are different. </p>

<p>You may one day get the unit, perhaps a gray market, perhaps after many delays, an aggressive up-sell, a package that is suspiciously short of things like a battery and charger, for which you will have to pay a total that exceeds the price at a reputable store. These places are "just barely legal" in the sense that they can't be technically prosecuted, but are otherwise far from honest. Some people cancel their credit cards to escape the painful runaround.</p>

<p>This is not a scam. GET IT DIGITAL is a reputable seller. They sell on eBay and their ebay feedback is 99.3% positive with over 54,500 transactions. IF you were to buy this, I would suggest you buy through eBay. BUT I would suggest you DO NOT get a gray market body because not only is there no USA warranty, but you cannot even get gray market items serviced by Nikon USA.</p>

<p>Be patient - there have already been refurbished USA bodies available at highly discounted prices. There will be more soon.</p>

<p>When I hear the words "this is not a scam", the next words I want to hear are "I ordered one from Joe Nikonface at the same place last week and it arrived yesterday, new, and with a US warranty". Because no matter how good it looks, the advertised price is almost surely below USA dealer price, and that is not a good sign.</p>

<p>This offer would be a scam if they sold the camera saying it was a USA model and then delivered a gray market or did not deliver either part or the entire order. Get It Digital clearly states what they are selling and based on their exceptional eBay feedback, it appears they are delivering what they are advertising. I am not suggesting anyone buy gray market but if that is what you want, you will get it from them - you will not be scammed.</p>

<p>This thread seems to be expensive for me -:) I am relatively new in this city and have never bought any photo equipment here, so this afternoon I saw a small shop selling Nikon and went in to ask for the price of a D810. They guy has never ever had a camera of that type in his shop, so he looked at his computer and came up with a good price. I must have look a little dissatisfied, as he immediately said he would accept a price of USD 25 less than what I could get it for in Saigon, so I have an offer now of USD 2,515 with 1 year warranty. I am afraid my christmas starts tomorrow. My only problem is, that it will be the first camera, which I have not touched before buying, however, I think it is like many other things, you get used to it, and I read the difference from D700 is not that big.<br>

Any one who has already sold a D810 please tell me why - as I do not find negative things about it, not even the introduction price.</p>

I would certainly take the eBay seller with a 50,000+ rating over 42nd St Photo!

Look, this is clearly not a sale of a retail boxed USA D810 kit. You're getting a gray market, maybe with 3rd party

accessories. What do you think is going to happen when something is selling for so much below retail? If you're willing to

take the associated risk of not having a warranty, it's not a bad price.

<p>I would pass on this. On something as expensive and complicated as a D810 I would definitely want a USA body. It would be a pain to send a camera off to Japan or somewhere for warranty work. My grandfather used to say that sometimes the guy who tries to pay the very least ends up paying the very most.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p><em>" this is clearly not a sale of a retail boxed USA D810 kit. You're getting a gray market, maybe with 3rd party accessories."</em></p>

<p>You are clearly wrong.</p>

<p>Again, I do not recommend buying this item as gray market but a reputable eBay seller should be treated fairly, and this company without a doubt falls into that category. Their ad clearly states that you are getting the IDENTICAL camera as the USA model, just that there is no warranty. There is no deception of any kind.</p>

<p>Directly from their eBay listing:</p>

<p><em>"This camera is a direct import item - it is exactly the same as the USA model, meaning that there is no technical difference - all cameras are manufactured in the same factories by the same workers. Direct import models do not carry a USA manufacturer warranty. The deal offered here includes a seller warranty covering your camera body for 3 Years and providing the same coverage against manufacturer defects as the manufacturer warranty."</em></p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"... The deal offered here includes a seller warranty covering your camera body for 3 Years and providing the same coverage against manufacturer defects as the manufacturer warranty."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>It is not the same coverage, it is much worse. Say what you will about Nikon USA, but you can send them your D810 and get it repaired in a few days by Nikon trained technicians using Nikon OEM parts. You will never get this grade of service from the eBay seller. At the very least, the repairs will take much longer.</p>

<p>I would not buy a grey market of such a high priced item. No matter what they say but you will not be able to have it serviced by NIKON services. At best it will be serviced by store technicians. So even if the camera has no technical differences before first service/repair, after the one all bets will be off. IMO, if you need to save the money and definitely want this camera, than only for $200 more getting a refurbished one directly from Nikon USA for $2,899.96 is a much safer deal. <br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>" this is clearly not a sale of a retail boxed USA D810 kit. You're getting a gray market, maybe with 3rd party accessories."</em><br>

You are clearly wrong.<br>

Again, I do not recommend buying this item as gray market but a reputable eBay seller should be treated fairly, and this company without a doubt falls into that category. Their ad clearly states that you are getting the IDENTICAL camera as the USA model, just that there is no warranty. There is no deception of any kind.<br>

Directly from their eBay listing:<br>

<em>"This camera is a direct import item - it is exactly the same as the USA model, meaning that there is no technical difference - all cameras are manufactured in the same factories by the same workers. Direct import models do not carry a USA manufacturer warranty. The deal offered here includes a seller warranty covering your camera body for 3 Years and providing the same coverage against manufacturer defects as the manufacturer warranty."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>What the eBay seller is describing <em>is</em> a gray market item. Gray market means a legal item imported from some other country. Elsewhere in the listing, the seller states: "<strong>Please note:</strong> The photographs of some accessories may not reflect the actual item shipped. At times, we may substitute accessories for similar ones of equal or greater value."<em><br /></em></p>

<p>I was being fair to the seller. I don't think the listing is a scam. I think it's gray market, which is not a scam.</p>

<p>Andy, I am sorry my comment was not clear. I was only referring to the '3rd party accessories' part of your statement. While the listing on eBay may have disclaimers, they are likely generic as this company seems to place a lot of ads on eBay. But you are correct, there are companies that do not sell the complete 'kit' as it was meant to be sold and include 3rd party accessories. I don't believe this particular seller is doing that. It is likely that this seller is selling the identical item to the USA boxed camera, exactly as it comes from Nikon just with no warranty. Whether legit or not, it is still not advisable (IMHO) to buy gray market for an item such as this.</p>

I am sorry for the late response.. Got sick :( may be thinking too hard about the deal - lol. Thanks for such honest

comments. I have decided not to go for it and regret rest of my life - it's a heavy investment.

But, I got into another trouble, while looking for deal in amazon. I came across D750 and people recommend getting that

instead of D810. It is cheaper, lighter and has everything that D810 has except for extra 12MP. d750 reviews from real

photographers is awesome. Now I am MORE confused. I do mostly newborn, family portraits and events (no weddings).

And when I am traveling I simply love landscapes. Please suggest and give some light.

Do you think i should ask this question as a separate question.