sr-T's, Not bad. .. ...not bad at all !

<p>Just when I though my camera acquisition days were over along comes a great thread on Minolta's sr-T's. Next thing I know I'm looking at some beauties on da bay. 101's 102's and more. Somehow I pulled the trigger on a nice inexpensive 303-b w/a 50/1.2 lens. The great price suggested some issues but I've found none after two rolls of Kodak Gold. This thing is "built like a tank". Heavy some might say, me I say it feels solid, substantial a body that can be taken most anywhere , for any task I put it to. A good looker in silver, do wish i'd have waited for a black with mirror-lock. No matter it's another piece of impressive Japanese design and engineering. At these prices their a bargain that's hard to pass up. </p>

I bought my first SrT in Germany in 1978 on the day our daughter was born. Used it for years, then bought a few more used to give to my

kids as they grew up. Now of course they use digital cameras, while I went to Nikons and Contax/Yashica.I recently couldn't resist buying a 50

mm Rokkor 1.4 for $30 at my local Samys, then borrowed my son's SrT 101 - still working well. I had forgotten what a pleasure it was to

use this camera!

<p>Jeff A, My camera came with the newer 50mm f=1:2. A nice plastic lens I retired it to the shelf duty in favor of the old school 1:14 f=58mm. My 2nd generation checks a lot of boxes for me. While good I perfer to mount the newer lens on the X-cams I own.</p>

<p>Optically the 50mm f2 is a good lens, but it does have more plastic in the barrel than the earlier MC Rokkor lenses. Since the release of the budget SRT 100 back in the early 70's Minolta has offered a slightly lower priced lens with the kit to hold prices down a bit. The MC Rokkor 55mm f1.9 was a nice budget lens with plenty of metal. I actually have both lenses (along with many, many others). Maybe I'll dig out the f2 version for my next contribution to Classic Film Camera Friday.</p>

<p>Thanks Mike, There use to be a fellow on another forum that signed his posts with the though, "So many lenses, so little difference". At my skill level that must be true, however I do seem to like the old things, With the advent of the Digi-cam most of the cams I admired (and could not afford) are now in my price range(COOL BEANS).They continue to produce great results in spite of me. </p>

<p>An added plus for getting into the Minolta system is that Minolta made an M42 adapter that allows Pentax screw mount (and other brand M42) to mount on the SRT. Even if you have a Spotmatic or other Pentax, the focusing image is brighter on the SRT. You do lost automatic diaphragm but not a problem. You can take meter readings at shooting aperture.<br>

The mirror lock-up, btw, is nice for long teles say around 400mm and beyond. </p>