Will Nikon 85/1.8D ease my aching to try a fast 85mm?

andy_coach

<p>I've been having dreams about a fast 85mm lens. Not entirely sure why. I have that length covered with other fairly fast (2.4 and 2.8) lenses. I don't really need it, other than maybe for occasional indoor basketball game. I want to see what (fast) 85mm it all about. The Pentax 85/1.4 is expensive, so is the Sigma version. I've used the 77/1.8 and liked the IQ but the handling of the lens left me cold, so I sold it.<br>

Since there are no inexpensive Pentax options for a fast, AF 85mm and I happen to still have a Nikon D90 sitting on the shelf, I thought maybe I could try the 85/1.8D to get the taste. Has anyone here tried that combo? Is it fast to auto-focus? Or, is the Pentax 85/1.4 so great that I should just go for it w/out any Nikon detours?<br>

Andy</p>

<p>I have no Pentax gear, but I have the AF-D 85 f/1.8 Nikkor, and used it on a D80 (same AF as a D90) and D300 (same sensor as D90), as well as on full frame.<br>

Don't bother.<br>

It's a quite good lens, but not spectacular by any means. It doesn't have the qualities most people rave about in fast 85mm lenses; its'out of focus handling isn't very smooth, the transition between in focus and out of focus not particularly attractive. Plus, mine isn't very sharp nor contrasty at wide apertures. From f/2.5 on it becomes seriously good, but below it just is lacking. Great landscape lens - not exactly an endorsement for a 85mm, I fear. So, in short, it won't give you a taste of fast 85mm lenses. If you're OK with the Nikon detour, the newer AF-S 85mm f/1.8G is a lot better and more interesting. Or the manual focus Samyang 85mm f/1.4, which doesn't cost as much. Not sure whether it exists for Pentax too, if yes, it's a very credible option when AF isn't a must.<br>

On Nikon, all of my desires for a good portrait lens are cheaply cured with the 105mm f/2.5. Manual focus too, and not extremely fast. But epicly good.</p>

<p>I've used the Nikon 85mm f/1.8d with a D50, D90 and very briefly with a D300. I agree with Wouter. It's a good lens, quite sharp, but its out of-focus-rendering is rather harsh. I sold mine to get the 85mm f/1.4D, which is extraordinary, but expensive even used. (For a discussion of the optical properties of these two lenses see http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00T1Bs .) Both of these lenses autofocus by means of a screw drive motor on the camera body, and neither focuses fast on a D90, which has a light weight motor.<br>

<br /> Nikon's current 85mm f/1.8G lens has gotten rather good reviews, and is reasonably priced, especially in comparison to the f/1.4G. Also, as far as a lens for your Pentax system, it's too bad that Sigma's 85mm f/1.4, which many people like very much, is not available in Pentax mount.</p>

<p>I have no Nikon, used a Tamron f2.4 on Pentax and own a 90mm f2 and attempted to struggle with a buddy's 85mm f1.5 CZJ, Summilux R and maybe another.<br>

I fear: renting or borrowing is a better cure than acquiring more not extraordinary great glass, that doesn't make you happy. - Maybe your credit line allows temp owning something?<br>

Moderately fast 85mms are already demanding on focusing and the really fast ones are kind of horrible. - I chuckled when Zeiss put an add for their current 85mm up where the model's eye was OOF...<br>

When I have a next sane moment I might slow down my Leica 90mm (i.e. exchange it) but for now stopping down is cheaper & faster.<br>

I wouldn't go for Pentax with a 85mm f1.4. If Canon fail to get their f1.2 focused quickly, with at least 2nd best AF on the market, how are Pentax supposed to manage anything similar, especially for sports? - I feel a need for more patience than I have, when I attempt to shoot a portrait with my 50mm f1.4 and a 85mm should make things worse, shouldn't it?</p>

<p>Wouter, Hector, and Jochen thanks a bunch for your thoughtful advice, I appreciate it. I think I might skip the Nikon 85/1.8D despite its good price and go straight for the Pentax or Sigma 85/1.4, they are rated almost identically by <a href="http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/sigma-85mm-f14-hsm/review.html?src=lrdb">this review</a> and users tend to rave about their bokeh, which appears to be on par or even smoother than with the Nikkor 85/1.4D. My K-3 focuses most of my lenses quickly and accurately, so I can't wait to see how it does with the 85/1.4 :)<br /><br /></p>

<p>I have the Rokinon 85 1.4 Manual focus for Pentax. I am constantly wishing for AF when I open it up because nailing focus is really difficult. The bokeh is quite nice, though. I also have a Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro which can nail focus but it's not actually great for portraits, since it picks up detail really well.<br>

In my opinion, a 1.4 is going to be very disappointing at basketball games because you're going to miss focus most of the time on a moving subject with a DoF of just under 12 inches if you're 20 feet away. Maybe not with good AF. Might be a lot easier to up your ISO and have a decent DoF. See if you can rent the Pentax 1.4. Let us know if you do.</p>

<p>Holy cow, the bokeh from the Rokinon is beautiful. I will have to borrow one and test it out. I've tried MF at a basketball game on my 50/1.2 but it was rather futile during action. I am researching lens rentals but so far not one shop is offering the Sigma 85/1.4 in K mount.</p>

<p>Yes, the bokeh is very nice, but none of the subjects are actually in sharp focus. The lens comes labeled as Rokinon, Bower or Vivitar. I suppose I could take a trip to B&H or Adorama and see if AF makes a real difference. One would hope so at about 4x the price. </p>

<p>Here's Neil van Niekirk's take on 85mm 1.4s:<br>

<a href="http://neilvn.com/tangents/85mm-best-lens-change-portrait-photography/#more-18260">http://neilvn.com/tangents/85mm-best-lens-change-portrait-photography/#more-18260</a></p>

<p>If you order from B &H or Adorama, you can use it for a couple of days, then return, but you may want to be ready to say "I gotta have it!"</p>

<p>I get just as nice background blur from a 70 2.4 at a fraction of the size and weight. Don't forget that it's not just about absolute aperture but distance to the subject and subject to background distance as well. If you have any control over those factors, you will get great results also.<br>

Also remember that WHAT is in the background is also important. For example, in the above photo, I find the yellow car and guy on the left very distracting, regardless of how blurry they are. </p>

<p>Scott, you're right, especially the guy, even though he's not as bright as the cab (for me, anyway). I was pretty far away, so they're not nearly blurry enough. If I had been as close as Neil vanNiekirk in the link above, they would have just been a blur. I'll have to keep that in mind.</p>