Is this a good deal? (Hasselblad 500c/m)

arthur_nagui_leclerc

<p>Hi I've been lurking around the internet for a Hasselblad 500cm and I found an offer with:</p>

<p>- 80mm Planar f/2.8 CF T* with "no cosmetic wear to the glass / zero haze or mold internally"<br>

-A12 back with matching insert<br>

-Waist level viewfinder<br>

-Body in full working order<br>

-Leather strap<br>

-Shutter release cable<br>

-Focusing screen: I asked if it was an accute matte, he said he didn't know but thought it probably could be, the cross is black.</p>

<p>For 1000$ is this a good deal? I haven't really found any other kit with an 80mm CF T* at that price and when I went on KEH the prices weren't particularly better.<br>

Thank you in advance.</p>

<p>Arthur, I've seen lower prices on that big auction site, for the same kit. KEH is always dependable, though--if they say something works perfectly, it either DOES, or they'll replace it. (Same with B&H used gear.) If you get a good guarantee from your seller, it may be worth it, or you might try to negotiate a bit lower price.</p>

<p>FWIW I've had the same kit (plus a 50mm and a 150mm) for a dozen years, and I still get a little thrill of pleasure every time I use it. The 500c/m is a bit old but it's a lovely camera and a delight to use. :-) --ken</p>

<p>I paid $50 more than you did for my first ever Hasselblad purchase - a kit similar to yours with the 80mm CF lens. Mine came with the big 45 degree angle prism instead of the waist level finder. I love that angled prism finder but its heavy. I had never owned any film gear before so now after getting into it I believe a kit like that (with the 80mm CF and WLF) should still be a bit lower - maybe $900.</p>

<p>This may sound funny, but provided body, back and lens are in good working order I think the price you are paying would be a function of the waist level finder. If it is not a good condition factory Hasselblad waist level finder then I think you are paying too much. The knock off WLF's are rather cheap. I would verify that before the purchase.</p>

<p>+1 to the KEH recommendation. I have not used them (yet) but will on future Hasselblad purchases. My last private party purchase resulted in a nice 60's era 500c but the back had a light leak. I also like my local camera store, they have a decent used collection with prices in line with KEH and also have a 30 day return policy. Nice to have with this older manual gear. And nice to have someone to talk to about this cool old gear.</p>

<p> </p>