VF-1 for EPL-1 and 17 f2.8 combo question?

mark_stephan2

<p>I'd like to get a lens for a EPL-1 that I picked up cheap without lens. Currently I'm using my 14-45 lens from my Panasonic G-1. I'd like to know how much I'd see through the VF-1 since the hotshoe mount is offset on the camera? I like the idea of having a 35mm FOV but I don't like composing by holding the camera a couple of feet in front of me. I'm also looking for something cheap like the EP-1 to take full advantage of the lens and viewfinder but that'll be a purchase next year.</p>

<p>Mark - I use an EPL-2 with the VF-2 and an old Tamron (Adaptall) 17/f3.5 just fine...I can't speak to the VF-1 but everything is just fine with the VF-2, same is true with other lenses like the kit 14-42, although I haven't tried anything shorter. It is irrelevant if the hotshoe mount is offset from the camera body with an EVF....the full picture is transmitted thru the electrical contacts...like moving a tv across the room....no matter where you place it, the full picture is still there.</p>

<p>My VF-2 was great on my E-PL1 until I dropped it without noticing and then ran over it with my car mangling it into a pretzel. They sure don't make things like they use too.</p>

<p>The point is though that the VF-2 design was terrible as far as staying on the hot shoe of the E-PL1. I believe they changed that with the newer VF-2's. Of course too late for me!</p>

<p>Harold. I was referring to the design to stay on the hot shoe. All the models use the hot shoe. The newer models might stay on better. I understand the VF-3 has a specific locking mechanism for that purpose. Based on my experience of always losing it off the camera until finally running over it with my car, I would definitely get something that would lock it on to prevent that. Actually, a piece of Scotch tape might help lock it in. </p>

With a VF-1, you would first need to use the LCD to lock focus and set your aperture/shutter-speed, since the optical VF-1 does not show any information. The EVF options show all the information as is on the LCD and provides a more seamless interface to the camera. While the VF-3 has less resolution that the VF-2, it does have a locking mechanism and it has never fallen off my ELP-2, and should likely be cheaper to buy.

<p>Alan,<br>

Thanks for the clarification.<br>

The FL-LM2 flash gun, which also acts as master for RC flash with the EM-1, has a similar issue. There is a sprung grip, released by pressing a button on the side.<br>

I have found that<br>

a) Of a new and second-hand unit the latter had the better grip. <br>

b) The newer one tends to slowly drift backwards, losing contact.<br>

So Olympus have not really solved this problem</p>

<p>While the VF-2 works exactly as one expects it to on the E-PL1 I find that it is 'awkward' and uncomforftable compared to a built in EVF as on my other cameras and I am always concerned that I will poke my eye out with it ...but since it is the only sensible option I live with it. currently the camera is carrying a bug-eye 7.5mm lens with a slight problem that often I see my trigger hand in the shot, or at least a finger or two as it grips the body :-)</p>

• 2 weeks later...