FM2N with Df

<p>I have not done much with film lately and had sold most of my film camera collection. I still enjoy film, but there are fewer places to get good processing where I live. I have an FM2N but recently found another one with a 35mm f/2.5 series e lens. I also found a roll of Ilford HP5 in my freezer a few days ago. I took getting the camera and finding the film as a sign that I had to go out and take some photos with the new camera. I bought a Nikon Df a month ago and love it. I took both the FM2N and the Df out today. I used the Df meter readings to compare with the FM2N and was surprised at how close the readings were. I set the Df to monochrome and center weighted metering and will compare the results when I develop the roll. There may be one issue with the new FM2N. The shutter blades are not perfectly smooth/flat. The shutter seems to work fine at all speeds, but I am worried about possible light leaks. I had a fun time using the digital and film cameras together, so I actually placed an order for black and white film this afternoon. I don't remember the last time I did that. I took a picture of my new toy, and almost took a picture of the shutter blades too. I had just started to open the back when I remembered that I still have film in it. It's a good thing Nikon made opening the camera a two step process. I won't develop the film until next week, but I will try to post some photos if there are no light leak issues. Does anyone know if there is an easy/safe way to work on shutter blades?</p><div>00cxvH-552647884.JPG.e1ccf091432c8a8fe3c0afde7e735e1b.JPG</div>

<p>As I said in another thread, you can tell when it's "re-enactment" when people chide you for having a temporally mis-matched lens or other accessory. :)</p>

<p>Since we're here on Classic Manual Cameras, don't you all think that this makes sense here <strong>because it is film</strong>?</p>

<p>I pushed hard to get the Modern Film Cameras forum started, but I now think I was running against the currents of change. I think film trumps other considerations, and CMC is already mixing and matching anyhow.</p>

<p>JDM, I think this thread was originally in the Nikon forum and was moved to this forum by another mod.</p>

<p>Jon, are you sure the FM2N's shutter curtains are wrinkled? Over the production cycle the shutter curtains were changed between titanium with a honeycomb pattern, and aluminum without the pattern.</p>

<p>BeBu, if it makes you feel better, I took most of my photos today with a 50mm f/1.4 ai lens. I also used a 24/2.8 ais and the 105/2.5 ais and 75-150/3.5 series e zoom. I did take a few with the 35. You are right though, it does look out of place on an FM2N. It would be more at home on an EM. Lex, I can't look at the shutter blades right now, but they are not the honeycomb pattern. I had one of those. The blades have a couple of places where they have a tiny space where they overlap, and one appears to be slightly bent. Once I finish the roll, I will take some photos of the shutter. I am just hoping for no light leaks. The camera feels like it should in that the film advance is smooth and the shutter sounds and feels normal. I hope it doesn't have light leak problems because they meter seems to be more accurate than the one in my other FM2N. Thanks for the responses.</p><div>00cxw8-552650684.JPG.2eb7f092f6e1092e56273c4144879113.JPG</div>

<p>My experience with creased blades may leak light but blades that may be bowed or very slightly bent without wrinkles or creases usually negates a light leak. If you see abrasions on the blades that may create wear. Check your negatives for light leaks to be sure. I have had cameras where someone has bent the blades slightly and I was able to "snap" them back into alignment. This is not always succesful. Good luck.</p>