Photo Essay

I'm not sure where to post this so if this isn't the correct forum please let me know where it actually goes.

I am putting together a photo essay, culling the photos, getting the narrative (if any) to make sense, all of the

things I think I should do to make it compelling. The question I have although a bit embarrassing is one so

far I have not found an answer to.

How does one actually present the essay? I want to keep it online maybe later print it in book form. I may

not be asking this the right way but does anyone have an idea of how to do this?

Also how would one go about submitting an essay/essay idea to a magazine?

Thank you in advance,

Lynn

<p>The link Nick provided is an excellent source for the conventional contemporary photo essay. If you're looking for publication by other websites or publishers, those guidelines are safe to follow.</p>

<p>While you're pondering your project and considering your own book project, you might also consider a couple of alternatives:</p>

<ul>

<li><a href="http://www.blurb.com/books/4195108-eye-tourist">"Eye Tourist" by Dan Wagner</a> (Blurb book preview). While not perfect, I like Wagner's clever use of juxtaposition in street photography. It works very well in most side-by-side pairings and trios of photos. The book is slightly marred by the use of inset photos, which commit the dual sins of outdated graphic design and inconsistent, weak juxtaposition. But overall the book preview is worth browsing for the generally strong visual narrative and clever use of juxtaposition.</li>

<li><a href="http://vimeo.com/42015234">"Based On A True Story" by David Alan Harvey</a> (video presentation). Besides being a damned entertaining video demo, the book touches more lightly on the visual juxtaposition trope. The connections are less obvious than Wagner's. It's a masterpiece of book design, one of the few photo books I've lusted for enough to consider selling some gear just to buy a copy.</li>

</ul>

Lex,

I didn't care for the True Story book but did enjoy the "Eye Tourist" and actually liked the photo insets. I didn't know they had become outdated but it works for him.

@Nick thank you for the link. I found it informative.

I think an online slideshow may be the way to go.

<p>An essay is about making a statement and supporting it.</p>

<p>Start by having something to say, e.g. "The flowers in Colorado are beautiful in the spring."</p>

<p>Say it clearly as clearly as you can, and ensure that the photos support what you are trying to communicate.</p>