Help Please!! - Nikon D90 vs D3300

casey_millett

<p>I am really trying to decide what I need to do. I currently have the D90 that I bought new in 2008. I haven't used it much until recently. I have been looking into buying the D3300 I would go to the D7100 it budget allowed. Should I switch or can you tell me what I could do to make my D90 better for shots. Any info and opinions are appreciated.</p>

<p>In reality, the d7100 would be a better move. the technology is far more advanced. One of the great problems these days is how fast the technology changes. It is hard to know at what point to simply jump in. I made two such decisions when I made the move to the d7100 and more recently to the d810 FX camera. I think that I am now at the point where I will stop chasing developments and learn all I can about these wonderful cameras. The d90 is a great camera but the newer units are superior in almost every way.<br>

I admit that I may be looking to bury these units in a few years but I is so damn much fun to follow the developments and tag along with them.</p>

<p>-O</p>

<p>Adorama has refurbished D7100 for $700 - seems to me a better buy than a new D3300 for $500. Maybe your budget can be stretched that far?</p>

<p><br />Compared to the D90, the D3300 will give your more MP (but do you really need them?). Probably does a bit better on high ISO too. You will be giving up the second command dial and a few other things. You don't say what you shoot and why the D90 falls short - but I doubt the D3300 is going to be the solution. Then again, the D7100 may not be either.</p>

<p>If I recall, the D90 was the closest in noise to D700 (not talking about FF rigs), so not exactly a slouch. True, things moved on....and if you had issues with D90, you may also have issues with more current cameras (?). What I'm saying is, that you might want to polish up your technique with what you have...and eventually grow into something better...whether that's 7100 or 7200, or perhaps even FF if that's the direction you're pursuing. Good luck.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>The D90 is an excellent general purpose camera. Assuming you are not doing event or paid photography, you would probably not see much of a difference if any in you pictures from the D90 to newer models. </p>

<p>What lenses and accessories do you have now and what type of photography are you doing?</p>

<p>"what I could do to make my D90 better for shots"<br>

<br>

The D90 is capable of taking exceptional shots. The best way to improve pictures is to learn more about photography, especially lighting and composition. And find good subject matter to take pictures of. And then practice, practice, practice. </p>

<p>What lenses and accessories do you currently have? What kind of photography do you do?</p>

<p>The D3300 has a newer, improved sensor with double the resolution, broader dynamic range and improved low light image quality. But it is a big step down in body controls. Its viewfinder is based on a pentamirror (smaller, and not as bright as your D90) and it lacks an AF motor. A D7100 would be a wiser choice, if you're accustomed to the D90's handling. But it would also be a few hundred dollars more.</p>

Considering the tradeoffs, unless you have a really good reason you need the resolution I think I'd keep the D90 for now,

and if you really want a newer camera, save up for a D7100. The D90 sensor isn't that limiting. I have 13x19 prints I made

with it that look great, and I know people who are still doing excellent work with the D300/300s, which is the same sensor.

<p><em>'The D3300 has a newer, improved sensor with double the resolution,"</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

The D3300 has double the MEGAPIXELS but NOT double the resolution. But for most typical photography applications, you would probably not see the difference. </p>

<p>You currently have the D90 that you bought new in 2008...You haven't used it much till recently...you're looking for something "better"...<br>

what kind of photography you're after Casey? What lenses do you own? How's your existing combo disatisfies you? What do you miss? Do you believe a "better" camera makes "better" photos? If you can enlighten us a little we might be able to help you more effectively rather than arraying various new cameras and discuss about more pixels, resolution and prices. Cheers!</p>

<p>I have images in galleries that were shot with a D90, so it;s not the camera that needs updating. Without knowing what you shoot, It's hard to give you any more input, but based on what I have seen, upgrades are best done on lenses, tripods, lighting, and technique.</p>

<p>Casey, unless you're seriously into low-light photography then the D90 will probably do what you want it to do. It sounds like you're simply frustrated with the results you're getting through lack of experience to me. I bet everyone on this forum went through the very same stage at some time. I know I did.</p>

<p>My advice would be to learn more, shoot more, look at other people's pictures that you admire and analyse your own shots to see how they differ from what you consider to be great pictures. If after that you really do find that the camera is holding you back, then's the time to upgrade. But by then you'll have a much better idea of exactly what you want or need the camera to do.</p>

<p>The OP doesnt really say why the D90 isn't being used. while its true that there is newer tech, the idea that somehow getting a newer camera is going to automatically result in more usage and amazing photos is probably a fanciful notion. also, the d90 is just as capable of taking good shots as it was when it was new. in particular, that model set a benchmark for consumer DSLRs with its combination of features and affordable price point. if there isn't a specific feature the OP is wanting, a better use of $$ might be taking a class or workshop on how to get better results with existing gear. but if that sounds boring, just go all in and get a D810 with the 58/1.4 and watch it collect dust, too. </p>

<p>Thank you for the responses!! I realize that I'm the one causing my photos not to be great. :( I have been researching for days trying to decide what I should do. I have not used my D90 to its potential that much I do know. I have not purchased any other lenses besides the one that came with the camera. Based on the responses it seems I need to learn more about my camera and possibly buy a new lens? I have a lot of red eye in my photos also. What lens and flash recommendations do you have? I would like to upgrade to the D7100 hopefully in the near future. Thanks again for all responses. </p>

<p>That's why I still like this site. Most of the time it's the photographer (including me) who needs upgrading, not the camera. My best-selling picture was taken with a D70. If you are not using your D90, you won't use a D5300 or 7100 or 5D MkIII.</p>

<p>Want inspiration? Go to Flickr.com and do a tag search for Nikon D90. You'll find out that, along with cats and brick walls, the camera can be used to make some great photographs.</p>

What are you using for a lens now, and what do you want to shoot with it? If you got the 18-105 kit lens with the camera,

you can do quite a lot with that alone, and I'd advise sticking with out until you've figured out what you would like to do,

but can't because of a lens limitation, and then decide whether a new lens will help you do that.

<p>casey, there are two solutions for red eye. It can be removed in post processing, or better yet, the D90 might have a red-eye reduction setting in the flash menu. Pop up the flash in taking mode, and then depress the flash button again, and hold it in. That should bring up a flash menu on your topside LCD. You then scroll to the selection with a flash and an eye symbol (using the main control wheel). I'm guessing on this, because I think my D80 worked this way. It's been a while since owning it, and my memory's fading on D80 menus.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Any opinions on a flash?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Depends a lot on your budget; Nikon has some small flashes, which are relatively cheap, simple but not very powerful like the SB300; if budget allows the SB700 is really nice, or something as the Metz AF52. Last but not least, there are cheap, powerful units all over the internet that usually are completely manual (which will add quite a bit to the learning curve). They can be great, once you know how to deal with them.<br /> Another thing that could well be worth the money is a course or a book on photography. If you're currently shooting in full auto (where the camera decides for you when to use flash), then learning the basics about exposure and how to take control of your camera is the best way to spend your money, really. Depends a bit on your current level of knowledge.</p>

<p>Best value flash, IMHO, is Nissin's Di866 MkII. It's CLS and i-TTL compatible, but costs about 2/3rds the price of Nikon's SB-910 or slightly less. The Nissin also has a bit more power than the SB-910, and some nice additional features like a sub-flash for fill and catchlights, plus a removable battery holder that can be quick changed. AND all the cells go into the holder the same way round! A nicely thought out design all round.</p>

<p>You can get cheaper flashes from YongNuo, Neewer and others these days, but apparently the build quality and reliability is questionable. Whereas Nissin have been making flashguns in Japan (not China) for 35 years or more.</p>