D300 with 71k Shutter Actuations worth buying?

marc_g4

<p>I recently bought a used d7000 with 1k clicks from a reputable camera store, and after spending a week shooting, I discovered that my copy suffered from the infamous front/back focus issues that were mentioned in various posts. After confirming that the problem did indeed exist, the store manager offered me another d7000 body to try or something else. He was not aware of such issues.<br>

I decided that it was not worth the hassle and inconvenience of trying out another, so I opted for an excellent condition used d300 body, which I tested, and every photo is tack sharp. I am just a hobbyist who migrated from a d80.<br>

When I checked shutter actuations, they were 71k. You could not tell by looking at the body, and all functions work perfectly.<br>

My question is would you buy a d300 with 71k in the condition that I described. Many large companies like KEH do not consider Shutter Actuations as something important but overall cosmetic condition.<br>

What are your opinions?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Have you looked at the current prices of D300 ? This rig would cost you as much as replacing a shutter on it....in case things go South real fast. But, you have no guarantee for either of this will take place. It's up to you to take the risk...irregardles (not a real word :>) what we stipulate.</p>

<p>I probably would get a new D5300 or something from the DX batch...find better D7000...or better yet, save your pesos till the D7200 arrives...and you may, then, want look at D7100.</p>

<p>But, this is coming from someone who used the DX, but always prefers FF.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>Sensor technology seems to have bypassed the D300 in many ways, and probably the D7000 has some extra features the D300 does not. However, the body and controls are more like the ones on the pro bodies, and may be an excellent reason to like it over more modern bodies like the D7xxx and D5xxx.<br>

For me it's the main reason for not having upgraded my D300 yet, even though I could use the better performances on high ISO of the newer cameras.</p>

<p>The 71k doesn't need to be a problem I think, especially if the camera has been well cared for (as yours seems to have been).<br>

<br />Only you can decide which one feels and handles better for you, so good luck with that and remember to have fun with it ;)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>My question is would you buy a d300 with 71k in the condition that I described.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>1: Depends entirely on the price. I have one that is just beyond the 100K clicks mark and another with about half that. Both will likely see quite limited use since I moved on to a D700 and D7100.<br>

2: Coming from a D80, the D300 is definitely an upgrade in all aspects: sensor, AF, controls. The newer D7000 and D7100 certainly have better sensors than the D300 as Shun points out - unfortunately, their controls and other features aren't at the same level as the ones in the D300. So is the D300 good enough for you?</p>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>In the UK D300s are now very reasonably priced. I mainly use a D700, but I have a D300 as back-up. However, I used it extensively one day over Christmas with the 16-85 vr lens for family pics. It is delightful to use. The results were more than satisfactory. It might die tomorrow, but I doubt it. It will probably go on for years, but my investment in cash terms is not that great anyway.</p>

<p>If the results are what you say, and you paid a reasonable price, what is the worry? 71k is not that huge. I have to say though that I always ask the dealer what the shutter count is before I buy a used body. Could you have bought something else for the same money that overall would have proved better in real terms, as opposed to fanciful? </p>

<p>d300 with 70k clicks should be around 300-400 euros<br /> shutter count should not be that big a deal.<br /> the d300 is an old camera and you might find something newer and better as far as technoligy goes, as shun mentioned before.<br /> however the builtquality of a d300 is better.</p>

<p>i am not so sure if it is agood idea to chose a d300 over the d7xxx<br /> <br />id go for the d7xxx<br /> anytime</p>

<p>it is the better camera</p>

<p>make up your mind about what you need and what it is worth to you.<br>

either pick should be just fine.<br>

just remember, newer technoligy has some advantage, even though it is not needed to make good photographs</p>

<p>The # of actuations has very little bearing on anything. Many online seem to think as though once a camera reaches exactly 100K, or 150K clicks, that it is going to self destruct Mission Impossible style. Reality is that you should just shoot with a camera, and not worry about such things. They are made to be used. The camera could fail well before, or well after, the stated number. </p>

If it works perfectly, and looks good, who cares about shutter actuations? Actuations measure the amount of usage the

camera has had to, but not what happened during that usage. As you saw, a low actuation camera can have a problem. If

somebody only took 500 photos but dropped the camera two dozen times in the process, the camera will be in worse

condition than one that took 100,000 photos while being handled very carefully at all times.

As Shun said, the issue here is not actuations but the fact that the D300 is an 8+ years old model now. It's at least two

generations old technology, depending on how you count the generations. I'd sooner take another D7000 for a test drive.

This front/back focus thing is not a particularly common problem.

<blockquote>

<p>It's at least two generations old technology, depending on how you count the generations.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The D300 has a 12MP sensor, essentially the same as the D90 and D5000. Since then, the DX sensors Nikon uses have moved onto 16MP (e.g. D7000) and then 24MP (D7100).<br>

<br />I still own the D300 I bought in November 2007, a week or two after it was initially available. Ever since I bought a D7000 in 2010, I rarely use the D300 any more although the D7000's AF is not quite a good, and even the D7000 has been superseded by the D7100, which is the oldest DSLR among Nikon's current lineup.</p>

<p>Of course, you can still capture great images with the D300 under the right conditions. However, under more challenging conditions, the D300 may show it age.</p>

<p>the short answer to the OP's question is yes; the D300 is rated to 150,000 clicks so it's nearing half its shutter life-cycle. i personally still use my d300s i got in 2010. the only issue i have with it is the high-ISO performance. its definitely a step up from a d80, which i also had. the D300's robust DX body makes it the last of a dying breed. IMO i would use the d300 until it dies and then get a d7100.</p>

<p>I had both the D300 and D7000 for a little while, and preferred the D300, sold the D7000. Although I mostly now use a D810, I used my D300 a couple of weeks ago and was very happy with the results (in daylight).</p>

<p>The D7000 is probably a little better in low light, and has a few more MP. D300 definitely has better AF. When both cameras were current production models, the D300 sold for a good bit more money. I would keep it and not worry about it if you like the camera. A D7100 would create images with a little better image quality over a D300, more so than the D7000.</p>

<p>Try shooting raw (+JPG) files to get the most IQ performance out of the camera. I think the latest Nikon software gets more out the raw files than the now older in-camera converter.</p>

<p>Update.<br /> <br /> After balancing the shutter clicks and condition of the camera bought with only a 90 day warranty,<br /> I decided to return the camera to the store where I purchased it, and bought a used one from Adorama with only 18k clicks, and a 2 year warranty. It too, was in excellent condition.<br /> <br /> Being on a budget, it was a question of balancing useage vs condition, and risk of failure, and the Adorama deal was the better especially being the same price. If one can get both low clicks, and decent condition, I am ahead of the game.<br /> <br /> Maybe someday, I will save up for better quality lenses, so now with my D300, and my Nikon 35/1.8 prime for general use, and my Nikon 18-70mm for midrange zooming, I feel good to go.<br /> I have learned that one does not always have to have the newest and the best to take good photos unless you are a pro.<br /> <br /> Thanks for all the responses.</p>

<p> </p>