FED-2 - ФЕД-2 in Soviet red, even

JDMvW

<p>The main company that imported FSU cameras to the UK, "Technical and Optical Equipment" was not founded till 1962 and there was little advertising of FEDs before the FED-4 (1964-).I have a FED-2D ,perhaps the closest FSU camera to the Leica M3, but it has a couple of quirks.As mentioned above, it is an effective glass scratcher, and some FED-2 cameras have a lever inside that catches on the rear element of the 35mm Jupiter-12.Without really knowing what I was doing I bent this lever backwards out of the way, apparently with no ill effect.The Jupiter 12 now fits OK.<br>

Thanks for the post, JDM.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>By the way, I believe that this one came from the factory in red. There is a red version listed in Kadlubek, too.</p>

<p>I am told that the key to knowing that it was original is that the maroon/red paint on the body trim looks like it was put on with a broom. Later reworked copies are more likely to have a finer surface, I am told. ;)<br /> I paid no premium in any case (got it for 36USD plus shipping), but when I saw it on eBay, well, it just called out to me....</p>