Anyone ever seen this?

dshombert

<p>A local pawnshop has a rangefinder that is similar in size and weight to the ones I've seen from the 1940s - 1950s era. No name, but the lens is a Zeiss lens. Across the upper part of the back is stamped/engraved "USSR occupied Germany". The shutter seems to work, as does the focus. I was not able to figure out how to get the back open.<br>

The pawnshop owner claims it's a Contax, and he's convinced that the engraving is legitimate and that this is some rare collector's piece. He wants $425 for it. I've never seen anything like this, and I'm curious about it even though I would not buy it at that price. I guess he could be right, it looks and feels like Contax quality. I'm kind of wondering why the engraving, if it's legitimate, is in English.<br>

Anyone ever seen anything like this?</p>

<p>I would be hesitant to buy these whether USSR or genuine Zeiss made. The shutter tapes fail due to age and repairs are not cheap. The repair is extremely time consuming thus the expense. The back is removed by turning the thumb screws from z to a! I feel the asking price is much too high. By the way the lens can be used on Nikon rfdr models but focus errors may occur at close distance and wide open.</p>

<p>If it's a genuine "no-name" Contax, the price is reasonable, maybe too reasonable.</p>

<p>Most of the 'converted' Kievs are easy to tell, but there are some people out there who know how to make much more 'accurate' reversions to prototype, shall we say.</p>

<p>I have a "No Name Kiev" Russian clone of the Contax 4 which was apparently made in 1963 and matches your description. Check out Gordon Yee's list of web sites. My dad purchased mine in the 60's through a Popular Photography magazine ad for around $60-70 when Russia was hard up for US currency. The camera came with a Zeiss F2 50 and both seem well finished. The markings on mine are as you have described on yours. For the year of manufacture, see if the serial number begins with a 63 or 64. No instruction manual came with the camera, but again, search the web for an instruction manual for the Contax 4. Later on dad bought a Nikon rangefinder with a sun burned shutter just so he could acquire the Nikon 50 f1.4 to use on the Kiev. I use the Nikon 1.4 on mine and like the results. Comments on spotty Kiev quality may be accurate, but mine works fine, with a good rangefinder though a bit dim and even the slow speeds and the self timer train work fine. The camera has a two part body with the back and bottom that come completely off. The "Z" and "A" stand for "Zu" and "Auf"in german, something like "on" and "off" in english. My only negative comments are the shutter is notchy which I fixed with a Tom Abrahamsson Softie release button and the rangefinder window rim which scratched my glasses, but an "o"ring on the rim fixed that. Best feature is the very quick, accurate focusing. As for price, I'd insist on shooting a test roll before making any offer on the camera and lens. It was not made to anywhere near the production standards and tolerances of a genuine Zeiss Contax.</p>

<p>Thanks to all of you. This was all pretty interesting - I'd heard of the Kiev cameras but never knew anything about them. The links that Gordon provided were very helpful. It's clear that this is what the camera is; I would not spend anywhere near that kind of money for it, as it'd just be a collector piece to me. But I enjoyed learning more about this bit of camera lore.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I should have posted this earlier. The real "no name Contax" that is valuable is an immediate post-WWII camera, and things from the 60s and so, are merely curiousities like the Kievs made into fancy Contax models that never existed.</p>

<p>One of the best sources on this and other related Contax matters is at a source linked to above:<br /> http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/zconrfKiev.htm</p>