How to lock focus on a K5IIs, or, is it possible at all?

wayne_campbell

<blockquote>

<p><em>"When you say you haven't found the Pentax to be at all unusual in this regard compared to any other autofocus SLR then you must not have used any comparable Canon."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Wayne, everyone here is just trying to help. While I've spent less time with other brands, I've tried them enough to know the <em>expected</em> behavior is the same. I imagine you've also observed this with the very similar (non-nightmare?) K-5 that you didn't mention you own until a later post.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Now that this is solved, you may all go back to more constructive tasks, like photographing brick walls. I sincerely do thank one and all, your suggestions were all correct."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>With the 'brick wall' comment, I have no idea whether you're being sincere or not. Either way, I wish you better luck with your K-5IIs repair or replacement.</p>

<p>For what it's worth, I was able to correct this sort of problem on the film *ist 35mm body with a shot of contact cleaner into the shutter button mechanism but a) this may be less effective on a sealed body and b) one might be more reluctant to try this fix on a body that is still as valuable as a K-5IIs.</p>

<p>Well, for those who are still standing or still following this tension-ridden saga, I would like to report I was sent a replacement K5IIs and it works perfectly, exactly like my Canon ;) and exactly like I want it to. It came with firmware version 1.00 and I am deathly afraid of upgrading to version 1.07 because last time I did that I think all my problems started. As Shakespeare once said "All's well that focuses well."</p>

<p>Wayne,<br>

Not to prolong this, but to set the record straight, it was you who was slamming Pentax and and their AF systems in general, and saying that all was well with Canon, while you had a perfectly functioning K-5 in your possession. People were telling you various fixes because, normally, Pentax cameras work. The "brick wall" statement was insulting.<br>

<br />I hope you enjoy your Pentax.<br>

Howard</p>