Firefox 30

raybrizzi

<p>I haven't been on awhile, I'll admit. But PN seems to be a very difficult site to use. Clicking on links gives me things like no picture appearing, unsupported compression, wanting to save a nonexistent file, and other strange messages. This is the browser I use to avoid IE's draggy response and Google's spying. It is not obscure and should be supported. i don't see this kind of thing happening with any other sites I use. <br /><br />Paying for a site should mean that it's properly supported.</p>

<p>I'm with you, Ray. Lately, actually from last Sunday, may web page, PN quitting on me after using 10, 20 minutes and getting a massage, " <strong>502 Bad Gateway</strong> <em> The server returned an invalid or incomplete respond".</em> If I wanted to reconnect I'm unable to do so, keep getting a blank page with this message. Most of the time I have to get out of the Safari ( MAC browser) and even that has to wait a 30 minute, sometime an hour to able to get back to my PN page. This never happening with other web pages, and never happened before last Sunday. It is very frustrating to be interrupted for a long period to work on the PN. And it is happening right now, too.<br>

I wonder, why this happening suddenly, with PN....?!</p>

<p>I'm using Firefox 30 on Windows 7, and have experienced no problems on photo.net thus far. Firefox 29 of ten didn't quit properly, so that I had to force it to quit before starting again it, but I never figured out what sites or plug-ins were associated with that.</p>

<p>Ditto the suggestions to check your browser add-ons and extensions first. Often those are the problem, not the browser itself. However the site has been a bit buggy on and off lately.</p>

<p>But I'd start by disabling some browser add-ons/extensions, particularly those that purport to be for privacy or security. In many cases those privacy/security doodads interfere with normal site operation.</p>

<p>I've disabled privacy/security/anti-tracking doodads for photo.net because I want the site to benefit from my traffic, and mostly use Chrome now for visiting photo.net. I still use Firefox with various security stuff for browsing unknown/untrusted sites.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2013/aug/01/502-bad-gateway-error">HERE'S </a>a good explanation of what's likely going on, with some suggested ways around what seems to be a quirk of the PN servers rather than of our browsers or computers. I tried visiting PN through one of the recommended anonymous web sites when I was getting the 502 Gateway message and was able to access PN that way, though it's a bit cumbersome. Usually if I wait an hour or two, I get back onto PN the normal way.</p>

<p>From the technology blog (but read further into the blog and it will provide links to anonymous websites you can go through to access PN when you're getting the Gateway error message:</p>

<p><em>"The 'Bad Gateway' error is coming from the server, and usually has nothing to do with your PC. It may just be that the site is overloaded. Often, simply refreshing or reloading the page (Ctrl-F5) will work, but sometimes the problem can persist for days. If so, you could log the time(s) and browser version and submit an error report to the webmaster, because 502 errors can be caused by bugs in the associated PHP programming. In this case, email the admin team at myfreecycleadmin@freecycle.org. If it's an intermittent fault, the simplest option is to wait for 10 minutes and then try again."</em></p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!