R Lenses and Digital Body

peter_gale

<p>I am being told that my various wide-angle and long R lenses can be used with an adapter on a new Sony A7 digital body. I expect certain limitations (e.g. no auto-focus), but wonder if I am actually reading/hearing about all of them (like, will there be properly metered readings, etc.). Any digital body that works well and extensively with R lenses (and an adapter). Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>The question is fairly naive...of course there was the digital R module specifically designed to use the R8 or R9 bodies with a digital back. In the modern world the adapter solutions for these older manual focus lenses mostly share similar characteristics, that is no information is communicated to the camera bodies to add into the exif info, accurate metering is solely dependent on how the light rays hit the sensor. Most mirrorless sensors are designed to accept light rays striking them at particular angles, or have micro prisms to adjust those those angles of incidence. Older lenses were designed to have the rays hit (film) the surface at a different set of angles, so in some cases their performance is compromised with mirrorless digitals. The effect is mostly pronounced with wider angle lenses in certain designs due to the short distance to the film plane from the rear element of the lens and the wide dispersion of light rays in that short distance. The effect is often mitigated by by crop sensors which only accept a small central cone of light which is less diffracted than the peripheral rays. Most telephoto lenses, due to their construction have significantly less dispersion after leaving the rear element, so generally perform much better with digital sensors. I've used R lenses for years on digital bodies, both Leitaxing them (changing either the lens mounts or the camera body mounts), as well as usin adapters on mirrorless bodies. Outside of the convenience differences, I don't see performance differences in between the two systems. The widest lenses I use (not a Leica one though) via adapters is a retrofocus 17mm, hich still vignettes slightly on a mirrorless body, metering is fine though. I hope my comments have been useeful to you in th context you were seeking.</p>

<p>I have been using various Leica camera types and lenses for many years, and I am fully aware of the strengths and limitations of a digital system and how it might work. My curiosity was raised by a sales person who argued vigorously that R lenses could be now be fully used in all respects with the new Sony body (auto-focus aside). I had read and heard otherwise, and thought I might ask here, even though I am aware of the personality of photo forums, but would like to have other opinions.</p>

<p>I've used Leica M (not R) lenses (as well as a variety of others including Kyocera Contax SLR lenses) on a Sony NEX-7. You get manual focusing of course but aperture priority auto. The results are in general very good. Some magenta corners in the really wide lenses but in general look very good. The only real penalty is speed. I find I cannot focus precisely with just focus peaking and the EVF to help me. I need to magnify and focus and that takes more time. The R lenses will probably look big on the A7 and they might be a little nose heavy (my Contax SLR lenses are) but the results should be good.</p>

<p>The new Leica T would probably let you do it too eventually but i haven't heard of an R adapter yet, just the M adapter.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Verses what Salesperson stated: "I had read and heard otherwise" <strong><em>Peter G.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not sure what you read or heard.<br /> By sheer fact of the extended nodal focus distance of the Leica R lenses, the wide lenses don't have the <strong>compact</strong> issues of the 'M' lens counterparts.<br /> They along with most SLR lenses, are a perfect paring for the full-frame A7 units...</p>

<p>Martin, thanks for the photo of your equipment. As I suggested earlier, I was hoping that someone had acquired the relatively new Sony 7 and would have also used or tried R lenses on it. Weight has become a factor for me, and the Sony R is touted as being light! I still have a 6.2 and various R lenses, and was hoping to use the R lenses on a fairly light digital body (a benefit when I also carry a tripod with me!).</p>

<p>Martin, thanks for that info. I have long appreciated film cameras, but processing film (especially colour film) has become very, very limited. So, I feel a need to move over to digital. While I wait for the right thing to come, of course, my desire/capacity to carry several things also diminishes. I have always had and used a tripod, for years. So, a lighter back-pack seems desirable - but maybe not obtainable with a combination of things. I did like Zeiss lenses, and so, although their 'aesthetic' or quality may not match Leica lenses, I might go back in the direction of Zeiss with the new Sony digital body (but not the 'kit' lens).</p>

<p><strong>Leica R 21-35mm</strong> Zoom has absolutely <strong>no issues</strong> and competes with primes... </p>

<p>The <strong>Canon FD 20mm</strong> f/2.8 SLR prime wide does exhibit magenta corners with light fall-off.</p>

<p>Observations made with both lenses shot at f/5.6.</p><div>00cYAF-547645684.JPG.aac2e0ac3816af1a3e93fe58a307cdf2.JPG</div>

<p><strong>Leica Telyt R 400mm f/6.8</strong> <br /> With it's 2 elements! This great lens has absolutely <strong>no issues</strong> and virtually matches the 4 ED glass $6,000 plus Nikon Pro prime... <br /> Observations made with lens shot at f/6.8 - Wide Open !</p><div>00cYAI-547645784.JPG.4f67c9ba3c1b8b9eb48850c3710641a0.JPG</div>

<p>This 4 ED element glass<strong> Nikon 400mm f/2.8</strong> has absolutely <strong>no issues</strong> with performance that matches it's <strong>stellar reviews</strong>... <br /> Observations made with lens shot at f/5.6. (Still, wide open is also amazing)</p><div>00cYAN-547647584.JPG.46aad4309ab3356f8584a478156e0291.JPG</div>

• 8 years later...

Just assembled a Telyt 400/560 kit with the shoulder stocks (never knew there were 2 types) and 2 pistol grips (1 with R electric release in the motor drive and 1 with cable release hole)

Well, the lens on my Sony A7R III with in-body stabilisation and a wire cable release into the USB-C socket suddenly makes this lens incredibly useful.

Weight is comparable to a 150-600mm sigma, and there is no AF hunting in low light.

These lenses are far cheaper than they should be with that leitz name on them, and a lot of fun to use. the genius of the two peice design means that can fit into my bag.

The technological addition of mirroress camera in body stability and high and useable ISO with the existing high lens quality and fast focus has made the lenses a portable proposition.

I use a stack of my old Leitz lenses on my Nikon Z7 wthout any problems. The excellent R- apochromatic 100 and 180mms work well . My M lenses have the advantage of not being burdned with auto-aperture closing mechanisms and light meter cams and are smaller and lighter.Normally I would use my R 21-35 for wide snaps, but today I used the Minolta CLE 28mm to see if there were any strange corner colours due to the close rear element. No problems. .

Light metering is set to coincide with the center focus.magnification spot, so provided the spot stays put and one decides which part of the picture is most important and forgets about dynamic range, snaps turn out well.

Even though prices have gone up since the demise of the Rseries, R optics are far less expensive than similar M constructions.

p.