backing up to dvd or bluray?

Eric~, you can get back to a pre-virus state as long as you have a non-infected back up. You can have a non-infected back up using one, two or many different media. It does not depend on how many or what medium/media you use (your non-erased DVDs could be infected too). Nor on whether that back up medium happens to be the same as your principal storage medium or not. It is not a medium type or number issue. It only depends on practicing safe computing.<br><i>"Maybe you have another medium"</i> is not the answer. Maybe you have a(nother) back up is. Cloud copy, DVD, HDD... doesn't matter at all.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>

<p>So, how do you get back to pre-virus state with all your files intact when sitting there pouting because your only basket with all your eggs are riddled with viruses and missing files?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Don't back up a virus to <strong>all</strong> your backup media dummy.<br>

So how do you get back your images that you formatted using data wiping overwrites on your camera card and HD? Don't do that dummy. <br>

So how do you get back your 16-bit ProPhoto TIFF that you saved over the original as a JPEG using a quality of 3? Don't do that dummy. <br>

So how do you stop from plowing into a wall at 90 MPH by deliberately pointing your car at that wall at that speed and not slaming on the breaks or steering away from said wall? Don't do that dummy. <br>

I'm done here, there's no sense in trying to get Eric~ to follow a logical and well thought out workflow, be it backing up data or dealing with display calibration, or his ideas about file formats. He'll find some idiotic excuse to do something kind of dumb and blame it on anyone but himself. How he managed to infect all his images <strong>and</strong> the backup of his images says a lot about his <em>abilities</em> and his advise to others. </p>

<p> </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>This is isn't hypothetical, it's a real with no other variables. How do you get back to clean pre-virus situation when all your hard drives back up's are infected and missing files? Answer the question. It's simple.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How do you get back to clean pre-virus situation when all your hard drives back up's are infected and missing files? Answer the question.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You don't. At least I guess you don't as I've never suffered a virus (for the 3rd time) and I certainly wouldn't copy it to <strong>all</strong> my backups to infect them and then discover as you did, wow, I have a virus. <br>

You're a stuck record. You could have copied the virus to DVD, HD, the cloud <strong>anywhere</strong>. The media isn't a factor one bit. You did something really, really stupid Eric~. You got the virus without knowning it, then you copied it all over the place, really dumb, pathetic. You're making it sound that due to lucky timing on your part, that you didn't backup the virus on a DVD, that makes this something less than a dumb move. The same could have been true for Zip, HD, floppies etc. No matter how you slice it, you practiced amateur computer practices! As such, you're about the last person here who should be giving anyone advise on backing up, let alone safe computing or knocking someone's laptop. </p>

<p>As for fixing a virus, since I've never had one and doubt I ever will (nor would be so completely stupid to back it up <strong>everywhere</strong>) best help I can provide is this:<br>

http://www.combofix.org/fix-your-pc-after-a-virus-and-save-your-files.php<br>

Frankly, based on your postings over the years, I can't think of anyone more deserving of a virus. <br>

I'm done. I've answered every question you've asked while as is typical of you, you ignore answering any of mine as it would make you look even more foolish than you already do. Give it up. Move on. You've got zero credibly IMHO (and I bet, other's share the opinion). </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

For me, it's simple math. I did some checks on current prices. No, I did not spent a lot of time at this, I did use brand

names like Verbatim, Western Digital, etc.

I'm not here to debate the longevity of different media. However I will say if you live in Texas and store your archival

material of any type in the attic, it's not going to last. If you live next to the ocean in Miami and store it in your attic, it's

not going to last. Heat, humidity, salt air, will have a huge impact on any media.

Regular media (which really does have longevity issues)

BluRay disc is roughly a dollar a piece and holds 25GB = 0.05 per GB

DVD is roughly 0.23, holds 4.7 GB = 0.048 per GB

Archival media

BluRay is not out so that's a question

DVD is roughly .75 = 0.16 per GB

External drive

2TB = 75.00 = 0.036 per GB

If you toss out the normal DVD due to longevity concerns, the it's cheaper to create 2 sets of backups on external HD

than it is to do a single backup to archival DVD

<blockquote>

<p>As for fixing a virus, since I've never had one and doubt I ever will (nor would be so completely stupid to back it up <strong>everywhere</strong>) best help I can provide is this:<br /> <a href="http://www.combofix.org/fix-your-pc-after-a-virus-and-save-your-files.php" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.combofix.org/fix-your-pc-after-a-virus-and-save-your-files.php</a></p>

</blockquote>

<p>That link came up as a warning on my WOT as unsafe. Nice Andrew, linking malicious and hazardous sites for us</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm done.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I wish we could believe you</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The answer, Eric~, is simple too: using a clean back up.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>QG, we don't have a clean back-up. Answer the question. If I followed your "advice" of only using hard drives, and then found my drives to all be infected and all missing files and folders, gone, poof, how would I recover under your plan? It's a simple answer</p>

Eric~, the question has been answered, several times. You happened to have a clean backup on DVDs. They might as well have been on HDDs. The answer to your problem was the availability of a clean backup. No matter on what medium. Simple enough.<br>Your premise is that, since a virus wiped some of your HDDs, it is unsafe to have a clean backup on HDDs. It's a false premise.<br><br>Now you also say you do not have a clean backup. That only means that you have to clean the backup you have as far as possible. As far as it isn't possible, your in a very bad place. It (still) has nothing to do with a choice of storage medium.