Monday in Nature Weekly Photo July 14, 2014

Laura Weishaupt

<p>Many wonderful shots this week.</p>

<p>Sorry for being late, but I was traveling yesterday.</p>

<p><strong>Goldfinch Picks Apart Thistle</strong></p>

<p><a title="Male Goldfinch Picks Thistle Apart by David Stephens, on Flickr" href=" Male Goldfinch Picks Thistle Apart src="https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3839/14600496892_9d06312cd6_c.jpg" alt="Male Goldfinch Picks Thistle Apart" width="800" height="800" /></a></p>

<p>Borrowing from Roberta, I can't believe I am going to say this, and must admit I never imagined it, but, Lex Jenkins, welcome to MiN. Nice perspective on our celestial partner. I've always liked your series with the branches, especially the one that looks like an archer.</p>

<p>Very cool image Lex. I just returned from a trip to Colorado Springs, so will be posting shots from that area over the next few weeks once I've sorted through the 1000+ I took, but until then, this week's shot is from a couple of weeks ago, and comes with a cautionary tale from experience as well. When photographing bugs (or anything for that matter), one should be well-aware of one's surroundings. Either that, or one should have a medicine cabinet well stocked with calamine lotion (which, for the unfamiliar, is used to treat the poison ivy rash (and if you don't know what that is, consider yourself lucky))!</p><div>00ci2B-549806684.jpg.8247ba08ab5b2b1ea1462d61ac0065c2.jpg</div>

<p>Sorry, another late entry (connectivity issues). This was a surprise interaction I had not seen before. A great blue heron gives a second warning to this overly curious faun. 7D + EF500 f/4 + 1.4x (tripod).</p><div>00ci2O-549807184.jpg.f84ad5233abd798727daa1a354dd4fea.jpg</div>