SCSI to USB adapter for scanner

<p>Hello. I have a Microtek 2500 scanner, which is an SCSI device. I use it with a very old G4 Apple Powermac computer. I would like to operate the scanner with my modern Mac Book Pro laptop. I've seen adapters on Ebay which go from SCSI on one end to a USB connection at the other. This seems ideal but I have read one or two comments online that these adapters aren't suitable with scanners, for some reason.</p>

<p>Have any of you had any experience using one of these adapters with a scanner like mine?</p>

<p>Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>Jonathan</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There have been several discussions on SCSI>USB adapters on PNet, and the general consensus is that they don't work. That is also my personal experience with a Minolta Scan Multi II. In fact, I was advised by Minolta that it would not work with their scanners (this was years ago, before they went belly up.)</p>

<p>Of course, my experience is with PCs but I'd still recommend keeping the old Mac Book as a dedicated scanner controller and link it to your newer machine via LAN interface.</p>

<p>Many years ago I did have success with such an Adapter (I can see if I still have it and what it was) but I wonder if the necessary drivers are now so old, it's worthless. The same issue happened more recently when I was trying to use a Keyspan USB to Serial adaptor. I had the hardware but the drivers were so old, they didn't work. I'm with William, best solution is find an old, cheap MacBook on eBay. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>+1 on Williams response<br>

<br />I am on a Mac and do recommend keeping the old Mac to control the Microtek scanner. I doubt the issue would just be the USB to SCSI cord in getting it to work and be stable.<br>

I am assuming you want to interface to the Microtek either for cost savings or you are very familiar with the model and like what you have.<br>

If cost is not as much of an issue you might want to consider a newer scanner as the original Microtek 2500 (not 2500f) is 13 years old with limited resolution of 2500ppi only over the high resolution area of the scan region and a more limited dynamic range than more recent scanners. Even the best mechanical devices wear out and specs such as dpi can degrade as the mechanics become not as "tight". A great scanner for its time yet technology has greatly improved even for scanners over the years.</p>

<p>The problem with this is that it's not just a matter of plumbing. The protocols are different, and, more importantly, follow different philosophies. That said, it is possible to create a USB <strong>device</strong> posing as a cable or adapter which is in reality a SCSI (or any other interface) controller. That has even been done, in the form of the Ratoc devices one finds on eBay. But now there's another problem, which is that SCSI implementations vary wildly, and it's difficult to build a controller that can adjust to any possible peripheral, and even if it is, you don't have access to the parameters your specific peripheral needs. The fact is that each vendor used to supply a SCSI card along with their SCSI device and the two were meant to be used together. <strong>SCSI was not so much the protocol the device used to talk to your computer, but the protocol the device used to talk to its own card installed on the computer</strong>. So the results have been mixed and nowadays nobody builds such adapters, that I know of.<br>

There is a page somewhere specifying the values you have to set in one such adapter for use with various scanners. Not all are indicated as always successful, but some are. You are probably better off keeping your old machine running (maybe offloading as much as possible from it) and replacing the scanner when that becomes no longer viable.</p>

<p>I cannot comment om a MAC or a laptop.<br>

possiubly an inexpensive adapter ebay / hong kong.<br>

er did it for a parallel printer and a system with no parallel port.<br>

-- another thing I realize.<br>

It would be simpler if it were a computer- mac or pc with pCI<br>

ports/<br>

others may read thius and possibly it would help.<br>

In the world of pc;'s and windows-- support for the inexpensive ISA scsi cards ebed with windows 98 and me.,<br>

the solution for newer windows pc's was ab ADAPTEC PCI SCSI CARD.<br>

IT HAS A BIOS AND THE CARD DRIVER STEP CAN BE INNORED.<br>

the smaller scsi connector requires a different cable.<br>

this should work on either mac or pc's with a pci slot.<br>

but sdly not on a laptop. adaptec 2930 2940 and similar cards.<br>

there are also bios updates on the adaptec website.</p>

<p>Hope that this helps others.</p>