Repair Cost of my M9 at Leica Camera Inc ($498.50)

<p>My M9 suddenly started displaying only the left 50% of images, so sent the camera to Leica camera INC in NJ. A letter arrived today in the mail from Leica Camera Inc. The M9 has a messed up sensor, and I did not know what to expect, but I was hoping for the "Goodwill" waiver of cost.<br>

There is no charge for any spare parts at all.<br>

They will charge for labor done.<br>

They will replace the M8-M9 Body Cover (MP Style)<br>

They will replace the Image Sensor.<br>

Check complete of meter system.<br>

Adjust the RF<br>

Check and adjust for good working order<br>

Repair (replace?) M9 CCD/Circuit Board.</p>

<p>The total cost = $475 +$23.50. I am happy with it. It could have been much worse, I am told. I thought that I share this with you here.</p>

<p>Raid</p>

<p>I would be content with that too. It's also the knowing that they knew what to do. Nothing worse than spending whatever amount of money through a firm that's taking a shot in the dark diagnosing what could be extraneous issues. Your case sounds decisive. </p>

I (via Gus) sent my M7 in for service to Leica NJ as well (it had been dropped and the rewind crack was a little wonky). I

also wanted the ISO sensor converted to optical. For about the same price, they did all that service and also replaced all

the body skin. The skin was a bit of a surprise as I hadn't noticed any issue with it.

<p>Sounds like Leica was generous about costs, as I assume you were out of the warranty period.<br /> What is difficult to judge in these cases is whether the CCD circuit and sensor failed as a result of wear and tear (an extreme case, not necessarily here, may be water or dust ingress and damage) or whether the failure was due to less than perfect parts in the original camera. Paying only the labor costs may be very reasonable in either case.</p>

<p>In some cases, Leica recognises full responsibility even outside the warranty period. My M8 had a defective LCD monitor that degraded (grey spot in the middle) a few years outside of the warranty period. Because Leica had recognised deficiencies in some of these parts supplied to it, it replaced the monitor at no charge. You have a new sensor and circuit and several system function verifications for a reasonable price which is probably not that much greater than the cost of a sensor cleaning and system adjustment done on a normal operating M9 and only a very very small fraction (1/15th?) of original purchase price.</p>

<p>My M9 lost its front lettering well within the warranty period, which is unusual, but I was quite glad to have a less noticeable body and forwent the repair. Happily, the M9 chugs along well with no problems (yet).</p>

Hi Arthur,

Your assessment is accurate. My M9 was bought used, and it is out of warranty, but it was taken care of very well and

it looked very clean. I was lucky that the camera failed at the end of a trip (to Europe) and not at the start of it. Since I

do not know how the previous owner took care of it, getting the camera totally check by Leica is reassuring.

Raid

<p>Good to know, thanks Raid. I happen to have a M8.2 and a M7 both still in excellent condition though. For cameras in this price range ( 4 to 6 grands when new ) you would expect there should be no problems. <br>

I have 5 Nikon digital DSLRs and numerous P&S digital cameras and the iPhones since 2005, none have yet failed. May be Leica should use Japanese advise/expertise in QC and mfg efficiency to reduce cost and improve quality, especially in electronic parts manufacturing. (By the way, Porsche did exactly that to stay away from bankruptcy years ago.) </p>

<p>Hi Kin,<br>

A lot has to do with having a global supply market of parts. Leica buys the sensor from some vendor, and maybe the same applies to other major components. They are not "made by Leica" as in their trusted film cameras where we know the names of their suppliers.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Alex,</p>

<p>With a film camera. we can often figure out what needs to be repaired and then we can look for a competent repair person. With a digital leica, we have only one choice: go to Leica. Also, we usually do not know why the camera does not work as it is supposed to. My M9 was not wet and it was not being abused. It suddenly got a failing sensor and board too. If they had asked me to pay $2000, I would not know what to do next. </p>

<p>Raid, I think you have done really well, obtaining an M9 in clean condition used and having it essentially renewed for a small fraction of its original market value. I wish I had bought my M9 second hand, as the features of these digital cameras are still in evolution. Apparently Kodak made the CCD sensors for both the M8 and M9 series, now entrusted to either a spin-off company from Kodak or another fabricant. When the shutter on my M8 failed and I received a replacement camera under warranty I was told it was a Seiko device. Third party parts are very prevalent in most manufacturing these days, which also includes the high resolution CMOS sensor of the Nikon D800, made by Sony. Probably not as easy to assure against defects as in a complete in-house production.</p>

<p>It worked out well for me, Arthur. Leica cameras are expensive, so I have been buying only used ones. My 8.2 came to me sealed by Leica from the seller. For a while, some people posted online that Leica was out of sensors, or that there was a very long waiting time until they got a sensor for me. In my case, Leica stated a 3 week estimated repair time.</p>

<p>Hi Raid, Let me get this right. Your M8.2 also failed? Or it was newly refurbished from Leica by order of your seller?<br>

By the way, there is no excuse to get shoddy parts and not QA the parts received. I understand that the M8 and M9 sensors were designed and made by American Kodak while the new M240 sensor by a Belgium manufacturer. Good luck for those who just purchased the new M.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The old saying was don't buy a new car model until it has been on the marketplace for a few years, time to have the bugs fully worked out. New models, whether cars or cameras, occur every few years now and you have to wonder how the manufacturer can deal with multiple new parts, control issues and QA and just in time product (parts) reception, not to mention the pressure when sales exceed current output and he has to get things done quickly. We demand (or succumb to buy) something new with greater frequency than in the say, middle, of the 20th century, so we probably have to pay the price for less quality control and less distant servicing and parts availability. Seiko and Kodak (or the sensor maker spin-off or transfer from Kodak) have made parts for some time, but they too probably have to deal with multiple suppliers. Are the Sony sensors in the Nikon and other cameras more foolproof? I don't know, but I am inclined to doubt it.</p>

<p>So why can we expect an M3 or M2 to last better than an M8, M9, MM or M. Different times and different scenarios and pace-change of construction.<br>

</p>

Had a similar experience with Leica NJ in 2004, with electronics on an M7 that failed. Even though the

camera was out of warranty, I told them that the camera was too new to break down, and they repaired it

for $200, which I think was also just labor cost. Coil was replaced and it was good to go.

<p>Photographers often want to try out the new digital cameras, and they don't want to wait a year or two before a certain model is checked out by others (who could not wait!). Having a warranty seems to be important. I was lucky that Leica had this Goodwill policy in place that offers excellent service without asking questions on ownership.</p>

<p>I explained to the repairman at Leica cameras INC that I take excellent care of my M9 and that this happened out of the blue without having subjected the camera to any impact or other factors. </p>

• 2 weeks later...