Viewing DNG Files in Finder

Hello,

I just switched from a windows 7 laptop to a mac 10.9.4 macbook air. I've transferred my files (dng & jpegs) ok but I can't view my dng

files in Finder (whereas I could view them in Windows explorer). What am I missing?

( I have searched pnet and it would appear apple has supported the dng format since 2008)

Thanks

Norman

PS The dng files are canon raw files converted to dng via adobe's dng converter.

Yes, that's correct, I can't see the thumbnails, all I can see is a standard graphic representation of an unknown file with the letters dng. I have updated to the latest apple raw software.

When I right-click on the dng file and click open, the os launches dng converter. Open with… launches preview but that

program can't read the file.

<p>You don't need to right click and open the DNG in the converter. The OS should handle the thumbnails for you (they do on this end) but in the past, it's been iffy depending on the updates to the OS. I'm 10.9.5 and see the thumbnails of all DNG's. <br>

Try this updater: <br>

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1757</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>Do you think it could be due to the fact I deleted iphoto from my mac?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I wouldn't think so, it's supposed to be part of the OS that shows the thumbnails. Maybe you can upload one DNG somewhere and I can check on my Mac. What about converting a fresh raw on that Mac, thumbs?</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

I've already emptied the trash and it is too big to download again. Not being able to view DNGs in Finder is not a show

stopper as I use LR for pretty much everything to do with photos. I'll try viewing the thumbs on a mac with iphoto installed

mainly out of curiosity. Thanks for your help.

<p>In the later versions of OS X, one way to preview an image (or other files for that matter) is to select the file and hit the space bar.<br>

Occasionally the thumbnails get lost even within a system, though I don't use dng at all. Often they can be restored or created anew in Adobe Bridge™ by selecting the files in Bridge and purging the cache (Tools>Cache>purge cache..).<br>

That's not an answer to why it happened, but it <em>might</em> get you out of it.</p>

<p>So in finder you highlighted the file and clicked on the "quick view" eye con (literally) usually on the upper right, and the viewer didn't pop up? That is strange, as it has always worked on just about any type of document I try to open except perhaps the rare times I have to look at CAD files. What happens if you right click on the pic and choose "open with" then preview?</p>