7D vs SL1 for camping trip

mark_pierlot

<p>My family and I are going on a fairly extended camping trip to a very scenic region of British Columbia (East and West Kootenays), and I'm debating whether to take my 7D as well as my young daughter's SL1, or just the latter.</p>

<p>Space isn't a huge concern, nor is portability, since I won't be doing any extensive hiking (since my kids are four and seven), but it would still be good to cut down on the weight and bulk of the camera gear I'm taking.</p>

<p>I haven't done a huge amount of shooting with the SL1, so I don't know whether the 7D would offer much IQ advantage over it. Also, I use a grip (w/ two batteries) with my 7D, and will be carrying a spare or two, while we have only two batteries for the SL1.</p>

<p>I'll be shooting static or slow-moving subjects, so the fact that the 7D has a superior AF system isn't really a factor.</p>

<p>And, regardless of whether I take one body or two, I'll have the same set of lenses. So I guess my biggest concern is whether I'll be missing any image quality if I leave the 7D at home. Of course, a consequence of taking only one body is that my daughter and I won't be able to shoot together.</p>

<p>Any advice would be appreciated.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Space isn't a huge concern, nor is portability</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Take both. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>but it would still be good to cut down on the weight and bulk of the camera gear I'm taking.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why is this a good idea, given your first statement?</p>

<p>"<em>I haven't done a huge amount of shooting with the SL1..</em>" That would be the deciding factor for me; I would take a camera I know well, one I can use on instinct - for those little precious moments you do need to react quickly (maybe not the scenic shots, but it is also a family holiday, after all?).<br>

Plus, being able to shoot together with your daughter actually sounds like good fun. Bring them both.</p>

<p>I think the answer depends on what type of 'camping' you are doing (ie. RVing?, car (tent) camping? Backpacking?). We just got back (last night) from tent (car) camping the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway & Shenandoah. I would say that the only time space/portability aren't a critical concern are when you are in an RV or a travel trailer - especially on an extended trip. While we did a fair amount of hiking, the only relatively fast/erratic movement was that of the wildlife, and, when bears cross your path, you'll want to be able to shoot while you are backing up.</p>

<p>The IQ differences are negligible, except in those that result from the interface, and differences in features (like AF, a proper VF, ergonomics, being able to use a tripod effectively, etc).</p>

<p>Personally, I'd take both. Not knowing your daughter, I couldn't tell you how often she'll actually want to use her camera, but, if she's anything like my daughters, the most frequent desire to shoot comes while I was actually shooting. While hauling an extra camera on hikes is definitely going to fall on you (as well as hauling the youngest on occasion ;) ), going without will end with, while you are trying to shoot 1s waterfall exposures, "Daddy, can I take a picture?" Much smoother to hand her her own.</p>

<p>Since you have plenty of space, take both bodies, but work with the lighter one most of the time and pull out the 7D only if the situation warrants, or the other breaks. I wouldn't be surprised if the SL1 doesn't yield better IQ in certain situations, since its sensor is a couple of generations newer.</p>